Petr Cech

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Petr Cech (1)

Postby Wenger's Coat » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:37 pm

Petr is still a good goalie (though not a great one any more). But he is not a sweeper. So if that’s the way Emeri wants to play then he will need to bench Petr.

What bothers me more is why Unai has not just started Leno in goal from the get go. Leno is Unai’s buy (I assume), so why not make a statement straight away by putting him in goal? I don’t know if Leno is better than Petr, but it’s just a matter of asserting Unai’s authority.

I hope the reason why Leno is on the bench is something objective about his fitness or performance in training, rather than some deference to Petr.
Wenger's Coat
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby island_gunner » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:59 am

Wenger's Coat wrote:Petr is still a good goalie (though not a great one any more). But he is not a sweeper. So if that’s the way Emeri wants to play then he will need to bench Petr.

What bothers me more is why Unai has not just started Leno in goal from the get go. Leno is Unai’s buy (I assume), so why not make a statement straight away by putting him in goal? I don’t know if Leno is better than Petr, but it’s just a matter of asserting Unai’s authority.

I hope the reason why Leno is on the bench is something objective about his fitness or performance in training, rather than some deference to Petr.

Fair point but Cech postgame comments shows he is well aware his #1 GK is nothing written in stone

But Cech started in the opening day loss to Manchester City to make a number of crucial saves to ensure the Gunners weren't embarrassed against the rampant champions.

Nevertheless, the experienced shot-stopper is adamant he is not in permanent possession of the shirt, insisting new manger Unai Emery could yet make a change.

'The manager has not told me I am now first-choice,' said Cech.

'I was told I was starting the game (against Manchester City) and it will be up to me how well I play.

'It was a challenge and obviously I was happy to get the nod today but nothing is finished.

However, at times Cech appeared to be uncomfortable with Emery's instruction to play out from the back - nearly scoring a bizarre own goal in trying to pass out wide to a team-mate.

But the keeper is adamant he is at ease with the philosophy of building from defence, saying: 'I'm comfortable with playing from the back.

'You play the best way for the team and I think that in a way if you want to dominate the game through possession you need to use every player.

'You can see at this level that one versus one is difficult to play so you need to use the goalkeeper as a spare man every time you can - that is the role of the goalkeeper.'
island_gunner
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby KING-HENRY » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:37 pm

Should be shown respect let him see the season out then hopefully he retires. Legend of the game.
KING-HENRY
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Arsene Nose » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:54 am

Unai Emery has defended Petr Cech and insists the goalkeeper will keep his starting place for Arsenal's game against Chelsea on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/statu ... 1197156353
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:30 am

1] Emery plays with split CB and tries to play out of the back. You need a goal keeper who is comfortable on the ball and Cech isn't.

2] His distribution is p*ss poor.

3] He is slow and ungainly.

4] He is error prone and sh*ts his pants the moment there is a back pass.

Emery probably wants to give him a chance because of his experience before relegating him to the bench but i just hope it doesn't prove too costly.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:42 am

Not much confidence in him at all, sooner he is benched the better, good back up but thats it.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Arsene Nose » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:14 am

Makes you wonder about Leno. Would’ve assumed Emery would’ve wanted to start with a blank slate. But he’s gone back to Cech.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:05 am

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:1] Emery play with split CB and tries to play out of the back. You need a goal keeper who is comfortable on the ball and Cech isn't.

2] His distribution is p*ss poor.

3] He is slow and ungainly.

4] He is error prone and sh*ts his pants the moment there is a back pass.

Emery probably wants to give him a chance because of his experience before relegating him to the bench but i just hope it doesn't prove too costly.

This in its entirety!! Playing Cech in this system makes no sense whatsoever.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:00 am

Arsene Nose wrote:Makes you wonder about Leno. Would’ve assumed Emery would’ve wanted to start with a blank slate. But he’s gone back to Cech.

Well Cech was the established no.1 keeper and played better in pre-season. Leno has to do something to turn the tables or hope that Cech makes a big f**k up.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:29 am

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:4] He is error prone and sh*ts his pants the moment there is a back pass.

This is what bothers me most about Cech.

He's so poor with the ball on his feet. You can clearly see how panicky he gets when he has the ball/there is a back-pass under pressure.

Let's also not forget that he played most of his career behind one of the finest defenses of the Prem era. To expect Cech to become this all style GK is asking too much of him. It's not his fault.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:04 pm

Angelito wrote:
Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:4] He is error prone and sh*ts his pants the moment there is a back pass.

This is what bothers me most about Cech.

He's so poor with the ball on his feet. You can clearly see how panicky he gets when he has the ball/there is a back-pass under pressure.

Let's also not forget that he played most of his career behind one of the finest defenses of the Prem era. To expect Cech to become this all style GK is asking too much of him. It's not his fault.

Exactly why it appears to be a case of square pegs in to round holes. He cannot do the role Emery is asking of him so i guess Leno should be given an opportunity.

All over the world a modern goal keeper isn't just a shot stopper anymore. City, Tottenham, Chelsea, Liverpool and United all have goal keepers who are comfortable on the ball. It is a quality which is hard to do without in modern era unless a team plays with hoof ball tactics.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:06 pm

Have we seen Leno play from out the back like this though yet? Maybe he's worse?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:20 pm

StLGooner wrote:Have we seen Leno play from out the back like this though yet? Maybe he's worse?
Was good in preseason
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:22 pm

Pudpop wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Have we seen Leno play from out the back like this though yet? Maybe he's worse?
Was good in preseason

So you're saying we don't know yet then. Got it! ;)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:24 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
Was good in preseason

So you're saying we don't know yet then. Got it! ;)
Oh yeah I'm not saying we know for certain. Just that he looked more assured in preseason

Also remember that younger keepers have basically been forced to play this way, whereas Cech has had to learn it over the years, so it wouldn't be surprising if Leno is better
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club