The definitive deadwood thread

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: The definitive deadwood thread

Postby Nuggets » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:34 am

EliteKiller wrote:
Losmeister wrote:"We're reaching delusional levels right now. What is wrong with Arsenal fans ffs.

I feel our collective IQ has dropped significantly since Unai's appointment."

people thought it was all wenger ... once gone all would right itself.... our players arent that good. not good enough to counted in the best teams in europe.

coming to terms with what the club really is right now is mental anguish. rationality goes adrift.

Nobody thought that there was a quick fix ... well a few idiots ... there are post after post explaining how Wenger set us up for an epic fail ... a squad of overpaid, ageing, out of contract mediocre players was a five year problem not a two year one

Add to that the huge cash influx at our rivals whilst our income fell away and no manger had a prayer of getting us back to the top ... we were simply to far gone and to full of deadwood

It took Liverpool twenty years to recover and they didn't have a top six just a top four ... don't be fooled this squad is nowhere near City, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea or even Utd ...

and remember Ceballos is just a loan, Auba, Ozil, Luiz, Sokratis are all well over 30 and will only have 12 months on their contracts come the summer ... there is more pain before this gets any better

Good post, I agree that sadly it will get worse before it gets better, like you said the dippers have been in the wilderness for two decades however they have won a few European cups in that time.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:32 am

Who says Edu and Arteta don't read Goonersworld?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:49 am

Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:44 am

Only took them till the player ms had 6 months left to get rid, barely any financial saving, great to get rid of the but we’ve wasted so much money and in the end we’re the big losers with having to pay up most of these guys contracts when they barely played.

Good work indeed.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:19 am

Mitch wrote:You don't know that we're barely saving anything financially, that's an assumption. We wouldn't terminate their contracts if it wasn't beneficial to us.

As mentioned in the other thread we're making nearly 3m worth of savings every month with the players that have been sold or loaned out, and that's not including performance fees and bonuses etc so that 3m figure is conservative.

We also don't know what each individual player got as part of their termination package. Some could have been offered 500k whilst others happy to just terminate and find another club, knowing their signing on fee with the other club would be huge due to no transfer fee.

As I said we wouldn't have terminated contracts it if it wasn't beneficial for us so I have no doubt that we've saved a decent amount of money.

It’s not really an assumption, they have 5 months left on their contracts, so it’s peanuts even if we didn’t have to pay which we probably did. We might have done if we didn’t need them, we knew they were leaving in June anyway, we may have saved a small amount but as mentioned it would be negligible given the amount of time left on their contracts.

Performances fees? They never play there aren’t any and realistically with defenders it would be for number of appearances or successes.

If we really wanted to save a decent amount we would have got rid of them if we could a year or two ago, but we didn’t, getting rid with 5-6 months left is in relative saving peanuts if anything at all and in all probability we split the rest of the contract both ways so the save was probably small.

Don’t forget this is the club that spent 27 million on a defender only to never play him and send him out on 2 loans thus wasting half of his contract and also left their highest earner out of the squad completely amongst other things.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:52 am

As I said though with these players who hardly play the saving will be negligible and certainly won’t make a lot of difference to our transfer pot in the summer.

Yes there may be a saving of sorts, but with 5 months left it won’t be a whole lot.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:29 am

Mitch wrote:Loyalty fees and matchday squad fees do not require playing time.

The funny thing is if we didn't shift them on people would be complaining that they're still here and draining our resources. The club can't win.

I’m happy we got rid and they were rubbish, but as for saving money, I think this is minimal.

It’s really only great because we never have to see them play for us again, not because of the financial gain (as we’ll be saving peanuts in relative terms).

IMO the club have done a poor job of shifting these players.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:59 am

The funny thing is if we didn't shift them on people would be complaining that they're still here and draining our resources. The club can't win.

The club can't win because they make dumb f**k decisions. Its one dumb f**k decision leading to another dumb f**k decision, with the odd cluster f**k decision thrown in.

You tell me how paying off contracts makes sense, when you have to bring in players to cover the players whose contracts have been paid up :rofll:

And if you don't bring in players you end up having to put square pegs in round holes ... or you bring in players short term who are not fit enough to provide anything of note/worth anyway. Tell me how letting 5 players go and bringing one unfit player in makes sense to you. I double dare you to show me another top club that has done the same or similar, paying off contracts/letting a load of players go - essentially trimming the squad half way through the season - and not replacing those that left.

This is straight out of the "How NOT to run a football club 101" book.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:32 pm

Mitch wrote:
Özim wrote:

I’m happy we got rid and they were rubbish, but as for saving money, I think this is minimal.

It’s really only great because we never have to see them play for us again, not because of the financial gain (as we’ll be saving peanuts in relative terms).

The crucial part right there.

Likewise what you said about saving money is what you think as well.

Logically with 5 months left you won’t save much money that’s just common sense really, they haven’t got long left.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:51 pm

Mitch wrote:
Özim wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Özim wrote:

Logically with 5 months left you won’t save much money that’s just common sense really, they haven’t got long left.

Mine links to logic as the club wouldn't terminate a contract unless it was beneficial for them.

They would if they just want rid as I said they may have save a bit but it won’t be a lot.

Any saving is better than nothing I guess, but my point is it won’t be a lot.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:07 pm

Mitch wrote:
Özim wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Özim wrote:
Mitch wrote:
Özim wrote:

Mine links to logic as the club wouldn't terminate a contract unless it was beneficial for them.

They would if they just want rid as I said they may have save a bit but it won’t be a lot.

Once again you don't know that. We're going round in circles, probs best to leave it.

Yes think so.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby LMAO » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:01 am

After years and years, there's not much left now:
  • Cedric
  • Nketiah (out of contract this summer)
  • the loan army of which Saliba may be the only one to have a future at Arsenal

For the first time in a long time, the club is actually in the position where it can add quality without having to shift dross.

Show the spoiler
Xhaka should be sold, but he's not deadwood.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby FrustratedGooner » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:10 am

LMAO wrote:After years and years, there's not much left now:
  • Cedric
  • Nketiah (out of contract this summer)
  • the loan army of which Saliba may be the only one to have a future at Arsenal

For the first time in a long time, the club is actually in the position where it can add quality without having to shift dross.

Show the spoiler
Xhaka should be sold, but he's not deadwood.

or add more dross...
FrustratedGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:27 am

Reiss wrote:Arsenal annual wage bill:

2014/15 = £104m. Wenger
2015/16 = £106m. Wenger
2016/17 = £109m. Wenger
2017/18 = £163m. Emery
2018/19 = £137m. Emery
2019/20 = £119m. Arteta
2020/21 = £157m. Arteta
2021/2022 = £87.2m with Auba gone

Almost halved the wages and cleared a lot of crap which is good.

Now we really need to push on and make a few top quality additions to take us up a level.

So happy that Arteta finally picked up the courage to burn Emery’s squad to the ground and build again.
It’s been impressive to see all the deadwood dismissed, even the expensive deadwood like Auba.

Bravo and AT LAST!
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk