Gazidis: Arsenal will compete with the biggest clubs

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Gazidis: Arsenal will compete with the biggest clubs

Postby Yorkyblue » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:56 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:Wait, DOUBLE your 13mill nike deal?

Something needs looking at there as loads said 20mill for City's was way over the top.

Not a very valid point you're trying to make there Yorky

Despite our underachievement Arsenal are still worth a lot more than City. And as I remember it yours is more than £20m per year

Freddie-Blue wrote:What is worrying is it says competing on terms of wages, not transfer fees..

You wont be able to agree terms with any world class players if other clubs are offering twice as much of a transfer fee.

It is indeed worrying however it's same old same old really. It's the manager's policy. He has money, he chooses to spend that money of paying his average players big wages rather than use it on large transfer fees.

My worry is that even when these deals are done, all we'll see is our current average majority who are on 60k each will get a pay rise to 80-90k each per week and hey presto, it's all gone.

40mil a year total. Including stadium, shirt, advertising boards and the surround area.

Yours will be more on the shirt part.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Leody » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:17 pm

To be fair Yorky, Arsenal has a much larger worldwide fan base so the adverts with us reach way more people. Our ad deals should be much larger.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby golfinguy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:43 pm

Leody wrote:To be fair Yorky, Arsenal has a much larger worldwide fan base so the adverts with us reach way more people. Our ad deals should be much larger.

Given the fickleness of fans the world over (no local attachment to clubs) - that can turn on its head very quickly. Hence my frustration that we're waiting for something rather than making something happen.
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby mel4 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Summary; wait 2 yrs before we get close to 2nd position on the league table. More years before we win any physical trophy

........ 1 - nil to The Arsenal
mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zenith » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:35 pm

VCC wrote:sorry but i aint even going to read his spin

Read it once and you know exactly what he's going to say for the next 4-5 years.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Zedie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:36 pm

golfinguy wrote:
Leody wrote:To be fair Yorky, Arsenal has a much larger worldwide fan base so the adverts with us reach way more people. Our ad deals should be much larger.

Given the fickleness of fans the world over (no local attachment to clubs) - that can turn on its head very quickly. Hence my frustration that we're waiting for something rather than making something happen.

This. Never underestimate the number of fans that support players or success as oppose to clubs. The board had their plan, have rigidly stuck to their plan and are pinning thier hopes on FFP.

It goes to show that we are run by economists, guys that dedicate their lives to making the most money out of their situation. Meanwhile, you've got our competitors that spend their lives trying to find ways to rewrite the rules to make those rules suit them.

I bet gazidis, Phw and co don't even have an alternative strategy if uefa dont carry out their punishments and leave the oil teams to do what they please.

Uefa will fold when they'll have to kick the super rich clubs out of the cl, thus making a less attractive product, or worse still, pushing those clubs to break of and form a super league (as has already been floated).

At least we've got 2 billionaire owners who can get te wads out if it does go tits up.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Leody » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Zedie wrote:It goes to show that we are run by economists, guys that dedicate their lives to making the most money out of their situation.

Shortsighted economists. A good economists invests in his future growth, something we're not doing by letting the product on the pitch today suffer for annual profits right now.

Look at Chelsea, they spent big, lost money, won things, grew the club... and now they're turning a profit, have the squad together today and have grown their fanbase.

We on the other hand are living off past glory, letting players leave and saving money in hopes that FFP will allow us to compete again. :doh:
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:46 pm

I see Gazidis in the title on Arsenal.com or BBC and I just don't read the article cos I know it'll pi55 me off.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Popey » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:08 am

Our target isn’t just to finish above Spurs

"Our main target is not to finish above Tottenham. Our main target is to finish at least in the top four,” the manager said.

“There’s not only Tottenham but other teams who can be in front of us.

“To be in the top four it is important to beat Tottenham and it also has an emotional impact. But the target of the season is not to finish above Tottenham, it is to finish in the top four [at least].”

Wenger admits that his side have not been at their fluid, attacking best in recent games, but believes Saturday’s game offers the perfect opportunity to show their quality.

“[Our attacking fluidity] has been there because in some games we had that very well at the start of the season,” he said. “We lost it a little bit at Norwich, against
Schalke at home where we were a bit flat and against Manchester United.

“Of course, then you wonder is it down to our potential. Is that down to the fact that we are just flat at the moment, physically? That’s what we want to show now; that maybe we have come through a difficult patch, physically.”

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... ove-spurs-

do you see how he doesn't mention the title? he's only talking about 4th or better and this after 10 games. what a shame!!! we're not big enough to comped with the city, manU and chelsea. he doesn't say it but he knows it!

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby billie86 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:57 am

Its got to the point were top 4 is the best we can hope for, 10 games in and we are already 11 points behind man utd, that gap will only get bigger in my opinion. My expectations are dropping year after year, this season i had no thoughts of us competing for anything, we just don't have the quality. If someone offered us 4th place now i would take it because we won't do any better than that but there is a good chance we will do worse.
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Hypergooner » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:03 am

billie86 wrote:Its got to the point were top 4 is the best we can hope for, 10 games in and we are already 11 points behind man utd, that gap will only get bigger in my opinion. My expectations are dropping year after year, this season i had no thoughts of us competing for anything, we just don't have the quality. If someone offered us 4th place now i would take it because we won't do any better than that but there is a good chance we will do worse.

Sad isn't it.Im worried about today as well.
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby billie86 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:27 am

Hypogooner wrote:
billie86 wrote:Its got to the point were top 4 is the best we can hope for, 10 games in and we are already 11 points behind man utd, that gap will only get bigger in my opinion. My expectations are dropping year after year, this season i had no thoughts of us competing for anything, we just don't have the quality. If someone offered us 4th place now i would take it because we won't do any better than that but there is a good chance we will do worse.

Same here, some people seem to have blind optimism and think because its spurs we have a god given right to win, its not the case. Whilst our squad has been regressing spurs have been gradually improving, who wouldn't put bale, lennon, defoe, adebayor, dempsey, dembele and the likes of sandro in our squad? even the 1st 11? We will be lucky to come out today with anything and if we play how we have the last 3 weeks we will get beaten, we got lucky last year coming from 2 down but we dont have rvp to bail us out anymore. I really hope we turn on the style today and show what we can do but i am not confident in the slightest, i can see a hard fought draw today.
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Goonerfromafrica » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:21 pm

Feel Like I've been reading the same thing for 7 years. Oh wait..
Goonerfromafrica
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby starmandb » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:37 am

billie86 wrote:
Hypogooner wrote:

Same here, some people seem to have blind optimism and think because its spurs we have a god given right to win, its not the case. Whilst our squad has been regressing spurs have been gradually improving, who wouldn't put bale, lennon, defoe, adebayor, dempsey, dembele and the likes of sandro in our squad? even the 1st 11? We will be lucky to come out today with anything and if we play how we have the last 3 weeks we will get beaten, we got lucky last year coming from 2 down but we dont have rvp to bail us out anymore. I really hope we turn on the style today and show what we can do but i am not confident in the slightest, i can see a hard fought draw today.

after his behavior at man city in 09/10 i would,nt want adebayor anywhere near our great club
and sagna rosicky and walcott 2 got four of the 5 goals v spurs last season
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby billie86 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:17 pm

Arsenal have announced a £150m extension of their sponsorship deal with Emirates Airlines. As part of the new package, Emirates will continue with naming rights on the club's 60,000-seat stadium at Ashburton Grove until 2028.

The £30m-a-year contract represents a significant increase in revenue. Arsenal's chief executive, Ivan Gazidis, said he believes the move shows the club's intent to "keep at the top of the game in England and Europe".

"This agreement is a testimony to Arsenal's approach and to the capabilities we have developed in recent years as well as the strength of our partnership with Emirates," he said. "The original deal with Emirates was a key facilitator of our move from Highbury and this next phase of our relationship will be just as critical to keep us at the top of the game in England and Europe.

"The fact this partnership will continue for many years to come underlines how much both organisations value and benefit from the relationship."

The chairman and chief executive of Emirates Airline and group, His Highness Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed al-Maktoum, added: "Arsenal's strong appeal around the globe and ambitious approach to the game parallel our own approach to business, making them a valuable partner for our brand

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... l-emirates
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk