Gazidis: Arsenal will compete with the biggest clubs

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Gazidis: Arsenal will compete with the biggest clubs

Postby jacobharris » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:47 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20220153

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis has assured fans the club will be able to compete with any side in the world over the next few seasons.

The Gunners have not won a trophy since 2005 and have made their worst start to a Premier League season.

However, Gazidis argues the club is in a powerful position for the future.

"As we look to the next two, three years we will have an outstanding platform on which to compete with any club in the world," he told BBC Sport.
Arsenal sponsorship deals

Shirt manufacturer: Nike. Worth £13m per season. Expires 2013/14.
Shirt sponsor: Emirates. Worth £5.5m per season. Expires 2013/14.
Stadium sponsor: Emirates. Worth total £42m. Expires 2020/21.

Gazidis says Arsenal should pull off major commercial deals that will strengthen their financial standing next season. The Gunners moved to the 60,361 capacity Emirates Stadium in 2006/7 and have increased their turnover from £177.7m then to £243m in their latest set of figures .

Next season their shirt sponsorship and manufacturer deals are due for renewal and they can expect big improvements on them. At £5.5m per season, their shirt sponsorship deal with Emirates is dwarfed by the likes of Manchester United, who have a deal with Chevrolet worth about £28m a season.

They are also expected to be able to double the £13m shirt manufacturer deal they currently have with Nike.

"Now we are in that stadium, the first part of our vision has been realised," said Gazidis, speaking before Arsenal's annual general meeting last month. "Now we are at the stage where some of the commercial deals that were tied into the construction of the stadium, and enabled us to take that first big step, will be renegotiated.

"When that happens, we will take the second big step forward and that will be comparable in magnitude to moving to the stadium itself. At times it's been a challenging project, but we will have catapulted ourselves into the elite clubs on the European scale and that, for us, has been what the last 10 years has been about.

"Very clearly, it will push the club forward and put us into the top five clubs in the world in revenue terms, which will be a fantastic position to be in."

Gazidis believes Arsenal will also be helped by the introduction of Uefa's financial fair play regulations next season, which allow clubs to make only set losses initially before being required to break even.

He believes the rule could help the Gunners to start competing for some of the top players in European football. In the last few seasons, key players such as Kolo Toure, Emmanuel Adebayor, Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri, Robin van Persie and Alex Song have all left the club.

Arsenal's last trophy was the 2005 FA Cup

"As our financial capability develops, as economic rationality enters the world of football, our ability to compete at salary levels for the very best talent will be enhanced," Gazidis said.

Clubs will be excluded from European competition if they fail to comply with FFP, and Gazidis has warned Uefa they must enforce this penalty.

"Uefa are under tremendous scrutiny and pressure," he said. "Every indication we have ever had from Uefa is that they are very serious about this.

"(Uefa president) Michel Platini has created this as his platform and if they don't enforce FFP well and strictly, their credibility will be shot and they are very well aware of that."

Gazidis also believes a break-even rule is about to be introduced in the Premier League.

"There is a growing consensus among owners across the Premier League that we need tighter fiscal regulation," he said. "That will be good for the Premier League, clubs, owners and fans."

Gazidis, however, denies claims that such a rule would make the Premier League less competitive.

"That has been a historical concern but I think it's becoming less and less," he said. "We are seeing Premier League revenues growing and growing, and in spending-power terms we have separated ourselves from the other leagues.

"In general terms the talent flow of players is going to be towards the Premier League, with or without FFP. In fact over a longer period the increased stability will attract better owners and actually lead to further growth and an even more exciting future."

I don't think this has been posted so far, but the club made these claims years ago when we moved stadiums, and have been criticised by many for not doing so. Maybe it was a longer term plan than we thought.

Although I do think it could well be spin, and once again it seems to be relying on FFP, which is yet to be seen if it's going to change anything.

I am praying this is going to happen though
jacobharris
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Re: Gazidis: Arsenal will compete with the biggest clubs

Postby Leody » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:56 am

Go. f**k. Yourself. Gazidis.

This excuse is already 7 years old.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby golfinguy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:40 am

FFP will mean f**k all. And the commercial deals won't be worth shit if you're not competing on the big stages. Wake up and smell what you're shoveling Ivan!

You cannot wait for the world to offer you success, you have the make your own.
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:16 am

If you are not seriously competing for the trophies which shirt-manufacturer/sponsor is going to be idiot enough to pay us on par with the likes of United? Liverpool is an exception to this rule where it history, popularity and the fan base in Non European countries is always going to be a massive factor.

I am from India and despite the rise of Chelsea and City it is United which is the most followed team followed by Liverpool. Not saying Arsenal has no base here but just that AFC has not done enough barring the last couple of seasons where it has undertaken Asian tour programme. FFP has so many loop-holes that City can get away by sponsoring themselves while Abramovic can pump in his own money and write off the debt without breaking a sweat.

Arsenal fans are not idiots to lap all the BS that has been shamelessly dished out to them since the last seven years anymore. Lets not get hypocritical here. Yes we love the club, yes we all want to secure its long term financials but deep inside we all want to be up there competing with the best toe toe. How can we ask the sponsors to pay us anywhere near as much as they pay united when we are finishing 15-20 points below them? It is around the time of renegotiation that we need to be as competitive as possible on the pitch as possible.

Another bit i forgot. Our stadium rights sponsorship takes the cake for me as the most hastily and foolishly negotiated deal out there. Just imagine what the Newcastle and Everton fans must be feeling from the last couple of seasons. They are punching way above their weight and that is exactly what i want to see with AFC. Practically out of the title race in the middle of November and this man has the audacity to come out and make tall claims which i am sure he himself does not believe deep inside.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:09 am

sorry but i aint even going to read his spin
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:05 am

Bullllllshit bulllllllshit bullllllshit
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby CynicalGooner » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:54 am

Stop talking Ivan. Please, please stop talking. Selling the future doesn't work anymore. When we've done the deals and still don't use the cash in the transfer market, what you gonna say then?

The bloke is dripping with a misplaced sense of self satisfaction
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby billie86 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:31 am

Believe it when i see it :rolleyes:
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby yosifun » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:39 am

So we might be very rich, but it means shit when the club is acting cheap in the market..

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
yosifun
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:55 am

We've been hearing "the next 2 - 4 years" for the past 7 years. Kthanxbye.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Yorkyblue » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:22 am

Wait, DOUBLE your 13mill nike deal?

Something needs looking at there as loads said 20mill for City's was way over the top.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Freddie-Blue » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:59 am

What is worrying is it says competing on terms of wages, not transfer fees..

You wont be able to agree terms with any world class players if other clubs are offering twice as much of a transfer fee.
Freddie-Blue
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:16 pm

We are falling further and further behind the Manc Clubs. And tbh i only see the gap widening. We cannot compete with them.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CynicalGooner » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:28 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:Wait, DOUBLE your 13mill nike deal?

Something needs looking at there as loads said 20mill for City's was way over the top.

Not a very valid point you're trying to make there Yorky

Despite our underachievement Arsenal are still worth a lot more than City. And as I remember it yours is more than £20m per year

Freddie-Blue wrote:What is worrying is it says competing on terms of wages, not transfer fees..

You wont be able to agree terms with any world class players if other clubs are offering twice as much of a transfer fee.

It is indeed worrying however it's same old same old really. It's the manager's policy. He has money, he chooses to spend that money of paying his average players big wages rather than use it on large transfer fees.

My worry is that even when these deals are done, all we'll see is our current average majority who are on 60k each will get a pay rise to 80-90k each per week and hey presto, it's all gone.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Popey » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:32 pm

we hear the word "WILL" since 7 years...yeah the future is bright

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk