Granit Xhaka

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Granit Xhaka (34)

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:09 pm

He needs to help Torreia out more, as said above Lucas is doing the job of at least two men.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:35 pm

had that one lovely pass, otherwise slow, easy, predictable passes, some crappy giveaways, not v good defensively
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby arsenalpan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:57 pm

SuperJackyWilshere wrote:Slowly but surely he's improving game by game under Emery.

A few iffy moments today but overall he put in a solid performance.

are you sure you watched the whole game?
arsenalpan
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:01 pm

Yes?
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:13 am

It was widely accepted that Vinny Jones was not a very talented footballer when measured by skill and technique, nor was he deemed cultured or pleasing on the eye given how often agricultural was used as an adjective.

However, he was often the first name on the team sheet for some of the clubs he played for and valued most by his managers, not so much for what he had to offer per se, but for what he got the other 10 players to do.

His own game rating may only have warranted a 5 but he made sure that the others put in 7's and 8's which in turn could give platform for someone to put in a 9. His spells at Wimbledon, Leeds and Sheffield epitomised this in particular and why he more than the likes of Strachan or Speed got Leeds promoted back to the top table and gave them motion to ultimately win the league with Cantona finishing off the job.

Granit Xhaka is no mad dog in the mould of Jones by any stretch of the imagination. However, I am inclined to think that he's a similarly positive influence in the dressing room and squad overall, respected and liked throughout the club and nobody's mug.

So far he has only given us glimpses of the talent and form he displayed at Monchengladbach or Basle before that which prompted the Germans to snap him up.

The clamour for the coach to dispense with his services in favour of Guendouzi to partner Torreira is understandable, but in the first instance, isn't it the remit of the coach to do just that and get the talent displayed on the training ground back to the forefront and on the pitch?

Furthermore, in the coach being successful in this effort, are we not better off if we have three players showing that they can effectively fill the role of the two in front of the defense? Would that not intensify competition and in turn make all three raise their game? Christ, the thought of el torrito finding a couple more gears puts me in mind of the Tasmanian Devil from the Looney tunes cartoons (young 'uns will have to google it). And lets not forget that we are the undisputed champions of injuries to crucial or in-form players at the most damaging time possible.

If Xhaka was to be taken out of the starting XI at any point in the near future, is it likely that he would react negatively and beyond what is reasonable because he doesn't think he's been given a fair and equal opportunity? Or would he be more inclined to do the extra training thing and work even harder to produce his best? That's a win win for the coach in my book.

Either way, the by product would be douzi now having to step up to the plate and turn that massive potential into proven quality. The same applies to both Maitland-Niles and Elnenny.

To conclude the point I'm trying to make, whilst understandable, what a lot of fans often fail to appreciate is that the best team is not always as simple as the best eleven players.
Last edited by thebigbangtheo on Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:00 am

thebigbangtheo wrote:It was widely accepted that Vinny Jones was not a very talented footballer when measured by skill and technique, nor was he deemed cultured or pleasing on the eye given how often agricultural was used as an adjective.

However, he was often the first name on the team sheet for some of the teams he played for and valued most by his managers, not so much for what he had to offer per se, but for what he got the other 10 players to do.

His own game rating may only have warranted a 5 but he made sure that the others put in 7's and 8's which in turn could give platform for someone to put in a 9. His spells at Wimbledon, Leeds and Sheffield epitomised this in particular and why he more than the likes of Strachan or Speed got Leeds promoted back to the top table and gave them motion to ultimately win the league with Cantona finishing off the job.

Granit Xhaka is no mad dog in the mould of Jones by any stretch of the imagination. However, I am inclined to think that he's a similarly positive influence in the dressing room and squad overall, respected and liked throughout the club and nobody's mug.

So far he has only given us glimpses of the talent and form he displayed at Monchengladbach or Basle before that which prompted the Germans to snap him up.

The clamour for the coach to dispense with his services in favour of Guendouzi to partner Torreira is understandable, but in the first instance, isn't it the remit of the coach to do just that and get the talent displayed on the training ground back to the forefront and on the pitch?

Furthermore, in the coach being successful in this effort, are we not better off if we have three players showing that they can effectively fill the role of the two in front of the defense? Would that not intensify competition and in turn make all three raise their game? Christ, the thought of el torrito finding a couple more gears puts me in mind of the Tasmanian Devil from the Looney tunes cartoons (young 'uns will have to google it). And lets not forget that we are the undisputed champions of injuries to crucial or in-form players at the most damaging time possible.

If Xhaka was to be taken out of the starting XI at any point in the near future, is it likely that he would react negatively and beyond what is reasonable because he doesn't think he's been given a fair and equal opportunity? Or would he be more inclined to do the extra training thing and work even harder to produce his best? That's a win win for the coach in my book.

Either way, the by product would be douzi now having to step up to the plate and turn that massive potential into proven quality. The same applies to both Maitland-Niles and Elnenny.

To conclude the point I'm trying to make, whilst understandable, what a lot of fans often fail to appreciate is that the best team is not always as simple as the best eleven players.

Excellent post .... never a comparison I would have thought off but it entirely gets the message across .... having watched Xhaka lift a pretty ordinary Swiss team to achieve some great results ... I'm pretty sure this is what Emery is hoping for and why he persists with playing him .... to me it's no surprise that players around him are starting to at last show the talent that we've know for years that they possessed ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Pudpop » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:00 pm

This guy's defending is preventing him from even having a chance at being a decent player. He's either invisible defensively or he's fouling someone.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby BS221B » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:07 pm

He is by far the worst player ive watched in Emirates era and worth to mention that i have survived likes Chamakh and Andre Santos.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:08 pm

I thought he was having a good game
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:13 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:I thought he was having a good game
He was for the first half hour. Last fifteen minutes of the half and now the first ten of this half he's been shocking

Matteo for Xhaka has to happen
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:19 pm

He's going to get sent off now i reckon
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:19 pm

Xhaka at cb?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:21 pm

[emoji102]
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:31 pm

Really don't understand putting him at LB?

Maybe Lichsteiner was injured???
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Sims » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:32 pm

Pudpop wrote:Really don't understand putting him at LB?

Maybe Lichsteiner was injured???

I think Laca is more suited to left back than Xhaka lmao
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to World Football