Granit Xhaka

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Granit Xhaka (34)

Postby Fenice » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:37 pm

wulfire wrote:
Mustafi wrote:I hope Emery gets more out of him than Wenger did. Potential is there

Potential as what? Certainly not the DCM that Wenger deployed him as. UE said very early on that Ramsey was the CM that he wanted to build around, so where does that leave Xhaka playing as?

Exactly why I’m confused with the contract, unless it’s so they’re sure they get some money on a sale.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:46 pm

The first time in history we've been proactive with an extension and it's Granit Xhaka. :rolleyes:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ESR10 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:07 pm

wulfire wrote:
Mustafi wrote:I hope Emery gets more out of him than Wenger did. Potential is there

Potential as what? Certainly not the DCM that Wenger deployed him as. UE said very early on that Ramsey was the CM that he wanted to build around, so where does that leave Xhaka playing as?

Neither Ramsey nor Xhaka are able to play in a midfield of two. Extending Xhakas contract and wanting to build the team around Ramsey means to me, that we are going to play 4-3-3 with someone like Torreira being the third one holding the midfield together.

Right now I would accept every decision Emery and Sven make. I think both are very smart and they surely know what they want to do with the squad.

Xhakas lack of concentration and pace, are his biggest problems. The later one won't get better, but many great DLP weren't pacy.. Pirlo and Alonso for example.

With more tactical training, which he will get from Emerys, and working on his concentration and also having a suitable midfield partner Xhaka has the tools to succeed.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby lol » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:04 pm

Xhaka has done pretty well in helping our team move the ball out from defense to attack. If he can improve on his concentration and hold the ball better when under pressure, he can become the next Carrick or Alonso
lol
Michael Thomas

Postby elkanofan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:13 pm

I woder if Elneny is going, Jack has to go but with Xhaka staying, we will see another midfield departure. Especially if Torreria is supposedly imminent.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Callum » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:34 pm

elkanofan wrote:I woder if Elneny is going, Jack has to go but with Xhaka staying, we will see another midfield departure. Especially if Torreria is supposedly imminent.

I don't think so - it'll likely be one in, one out with Torreira replacing Wilshere in the squad.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:45 am

glad to see the big dog get a new deal

torreira xhaka rambo midefield lets getittttt
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Arsene Nose » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:12 am

Emery has to get this right. Xhaka was Wengers Achilles heel. A talented player at picking a pass but lousy at everything else. His positioning, timing and anticipation as a midfield defender is all wrong. If Emery brings in Torreira as the ball winnner, I’m not sure what role Xhaka plays. I don’t think he can be a b2b in the premier league.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:48 am

Sims wrote:glad to see the big dog get a new deal

torreira xhaka rambo midefield lets getittttt

Or...

Elneny - Torreira
-------- Ozil
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Goonerz » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:16 am

lol wrote:Xhaka has done pretty well in helping our team move the ball out from defense to attack. If he can improve on his concentration and hold the ball better when under pressure, he can become the next Carrick or Alonso

What does Xhaka really add to the team? I have watched the guy since he has been here and I can’t point to a single game where he stood out. What strengths does he bring to the team? May be his once in a while long ranging passes when is is given time, space and not peessured.
He seems to be slow, lacks concentration at times, can’t defend, can’t control games etc..
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Sims » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:37 am

At the latter end of last season I forgot what game it was he didn’t play but we looked f***ing shit

Much like some players have unreal natural technique (Isco, Thiago) some are just naturally gifted at dictating the pace of the game

There’s a lot of flaws in Xhaka - which I think can be ironed out in a good system - but his ability to be a metronome is a huge asset, being able to recycle the play in a possession based side is invaluable

It’s been reported that Emery has wanted to work with him before and I’m really not surprised by the news whatsoever
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:43 am

People actually still don't realise this guy is quality?
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby KG3 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:43 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:People actually still don't realise this guy is quality?

Yeah West Ham level quality
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:People actually still don't realise this guy is quality?

We've seen him play tbh
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:25 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:Emery has to get this right. Xhaka was Wengers Achilles heel. A talented player at picking a pass but lousy at everything else. His positioning, timing and anticipation as a midfield defender is all wrong. If Emery brings in Torreira as the ball winnner, I’m not sure what role Xhaka plays. I don’t think he can be a b2b in the premier league.

You start Xhaka in games you're expected to win as you even said yourself his ability to pick a pass is useful. Not to mention, he's one of the few players we have who can trouble keepers with shots from outside the box. Besides those games, Xhaka should not be starting imho or at the very least be paired alongside players who can bear the brunt of the defensive duties.

I, for one, have not forgotten the countless errors he's made that led to us conceding a goal
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to World Football