Granit Xhaka

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Granit Xhaka (34)

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:12 am

His corners and free kicks are very good
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:29 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Yago wrote:Torreira's corners are just as good, that's a dumb argument.

Excuse me? Did I miss something? Did Torreira get two assists today? Just so we're clear, we're only talking about what happened during the match.

Yes you've missed something.

Corners are not assists from open play, they are no indication of the skill or level of a footballer.

A corner is a kick lobbed in the air to anybody in a box, if you want to count that as an assist then you go girl, yes "technically" it counts but it is not an assist from open play.

I guess the game ended 1-1 over the two legs and I missed extra time since we're dismissing corners.

Who created the best chances from open play?

I'm no fan of Xhaka but damn....if we're discounting corners as assists than we have to take some marks off Ozil's assist record because he has a lot of assists for us from corners.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby StLGooner » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:47 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:His corners and free kicks are very good

And that's about all he does good, he's like the Swiss Beckham. :lol:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:23 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Excuse me? Did I miss something? Did Torreira get two assists today? Just so we're clear, we're only talking about what happened during the match.

Corners are not assists from open play, they are no indication of the skill or level of a footballer.

A corner is a kick lobbed in the air to anybody in a box, if you want to count that as an assist then you go girl, yes "technically" it counts but it is not an assist from open play.

I guess the game ended 1-1 over the two legs and I missed extra time since we're dismissing corners.

I'm no fan of Xhaka but damn....if we're discounting corners as assists than we have to take some marks off Ozil's assist record because he has a lot of assists for us from corners.

I'm saying he's a bang average player, you raised "But....but, he had two assists today" like he's Ozil or something, the man took our corners, that's it, how does taking corners make you a good player exactly?

Ok, I'll put it another way .......... when he's not taking corners, for the rest of the game, you know actually on the pitch running around which is 90% of the game, he's crap.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:40 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

I'm saying he's a bang average player, you raised "But....but, he had two assists today" like he's Ozil or something, the man took our corners, that's it, how does taking corners make you a good player exactly?

Ok, I'll put it another way .......... when he's not taking corners, for the rest of the game, you know actually on the pitch running around which is 90% of the game, he's crap.

Mate... go back and read the posts. You seem confused about who you're talking to. I haven't raised an argument to say he's a good player because he has two assists. I'm looking at your posts and thinking you're silly for discounting corners as assists.

He is a bang average player but he contributed more in that game than most of our better players. Those are just the facts and without his contribution we wouldn't be through to the next round. My take from that, we need our players to step their game up with someone as average as Xhaka creates the best chances.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:19 am

25 percent of goals come from set plays
They are a very important part of a teams armour
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:37 am

Power n Glory wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Mate... go back and read the posts. You seem confused about who you're talking to. I haven't raised an argument to say he's a good player because he has two assists. I'm looking at your posts and thinking you're silly for discounting corners as assists.

He is a bang average player but he contributed more in that game than most of our better players. Those are just the facts and without his contribution we wouldn't be through to the next round. My take from that, we need our players to step their game up with someone as average as Xhaka creates the best chances.

I'm not confused, your just baffled to what I originally said.

I said to you "clearly" yes technically he has 2 assists ........... from corners.

I said Xhaka is an average player and we need better, you said "well we wouldn't of won without his assists" I was making the point (now for the 2nd time) that those types of assists are not indicative of him having a good game as far his overall performance, if he had 2 assists from open play which actually mean you need skill to pull off I'd of counted that toward his game as a player.

Punting balls from a dead ball situation to anyone in a box is not indicative to how well he played in actual on field play.

I don't give a fk what your opinion is on how I'm looking at it, I'm telling you, yes I accept it "counts" as an assist but taking corners doesn't mean you had a good game in play.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:11 am

You definitely misread the posts. I don't think anyone disagreed or even addressed your comment about him being average but you're assuming the 2 assists a part is an attempt to refute that. Read again. It was Jedi who started it replying to you specifically about this comment.

DiamondGooner wrote:
Xhaka is our weak link right next to Iwobi imo.

Wtf does he actually do?

Jedi wrote:
We'd be out of the competition if he didn't play tonight. 2 assists and a MOTM performance.

You came back with a response to Jedi which I thought was silly because it discounts the skill in set pieces and goes as far as to almost discount them.

Two assists?

One was a home goal, the other two were headers from defenders .......... taking corners is hardly an assist!

My response.

Corners count as an assist.

Yago jumped in with a comment that still makes no sense.
Torreira's corners are just as good, that's a dumb argument.

And you went further.

It's just ridiculous. You can make your point about Xhaka being a weak link without double down on a silly statement about set pieces. Xhaka having one of his better games doesn't mean he's no longer an average player and the weak link. It just so happens that in our last game he made an important contribution. It's in the same way Mustafi scored an important header but still be a bad defender. The problem with your initial posts is the fact that you asked 'what does he do' just after a game where he got two assists. That right there means we can't have an objective conversation about football in general because you blatantly ignore key facts and try to dismiss them if they fall outside of your narrative.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Zedie » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:00 pm

Considering we couldnt beat the first man on corners in the first leg and got 6 different players to take corners, xhakas set piece contribution should be celebrated.

Overall, we need to get rid as he will always be a defensive liability and lacks any sort or mobility which is sorely needed in his position.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:01 pm

He is nowhere near as bad as everyone makes out. We miss him when he doesn't play.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:03 am

Power n Glory wrote:

Lol, same person dissing Ozil's chances created. The only corners that are meant/aimed at specific people are corners that are pulled back and near post corners. Anything else is just lobbed into the area.

Totally agree with DG on this. Yes technically its an assist but its not like he is picking anyone out on his corners, its not a special set piece routine. He has a great shot, not sure about this great dead ball delivery!! Beckham had great dead ball delivery, Xhaka does not.
And Ozil doesn't get assists from corners, when was the last time he got one!!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:44 am

theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Lol, same person dissing Ozil's chances created. The only corners that are meant/aimed at specific people are corners that are pulled back and near post corners. Anything else is just lobbed into the area.

Totally agree with DG on this. Yes technically its an assist but its not like he is picking anyone out on his corners, its not a special set piece routine. He has a great shot, not sure about this great dead ball delivery!! Beckham had great dead ball delivery, Xhaka does not.
And Ozil doesn't get assists from corners, when was the last time he got one!!

Come on. You can't be serious. An actual assist vs a chance created? Lol. Of course I value the end product over the stat that lacks context.

You watched the game. Stats say Ozil and Iwobi created 3 chances each during the game, Mkhitaryan and Xhaka created 4. You know well enough that we didn't create many quality chances but if you're going to assume these stats mean something then someone could make all sorts of wild assumptions about how we played and who contributed what.

Also, regarding Ozil's corners. We chalking some of these off the list? What about free kicks that are crossed into the box. Same principle.

Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:50 am

Xhaka is a weird one. There is a good player hiding in there. But he hasn’t made much progress since his arrival. How great would it be if he were to develop like a Xabi Alonso or a Pirlo. A deep lying orchestrator.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:19 am

Power n Glory, free kicks Ozil takes are shorter in length than corners. You have more options for free kicks than you do for corners because corners are fixed to the by and touch lines. So I don't think the thought process for free kicks are the same at all.

I am of course making a mountain out of a mole hill, but its to emphasise a point, in reality it makes no difference.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:45 am

theHotHead wrote:Power n Glory, free kicks Ozil takes are shorter in length than corners. You have more options for free kicks than you do for corners because corners are fixed to the by and touch lines. So I don't think the thought process for free kicks are the same at all.

I am of course making a mountain out of a mole hill, but its to emphasise a point, in reality it makes no difference.

I think I've heard it all.

There is a compliation of Ozil's corner kicks at Real Madrid and another of his assists in the Prem and some included corner kicks.

So those don't count? OK.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to World Football