Granit Xhaka

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Granit Xhaka (34)

Postby Callum » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:06 pm

what a man
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:30 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:Oh, it would appear that maybe credit isn't given where credit is due, but I for one thought that his performance was pretty much along the lines of what he gets criticised for not doing enough of.

The silence is indeed deafening and yet it speaks volumes.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Losmeister » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:50 pm

he's been protected and has been solid defensively...
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Phil71 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:57 pm

He's been been playing well lately.

I'm willing to see if Mikel can improve him.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Fran Solo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:56 am

Phil71 wrote:He's been been playing well lately.

I think he understand his role more than ever. When playing against weaker teams, he (and Ceballos) will go forward and gamble more. They will assist and even score some goals. Against Liverpool and City, they just cover their defenders, stay alert and recycle the ball safely. I think Xhaka only made one wayward ball in these two games, and that was late in the Liverpool game when they already looked tired.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Phil71 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:09 am

Fran Solo wrote:

I think he understand his role more than ever. When playing against weaker teams, he (and Ceballos) will go forward and gamble more. They will assist and even score some goals. Against Liverpool and City, they just cover their defenders, stay alert and recycle the ball safely. I think Xhaka only made one wayward ball in these two games, and that was late in the Liverpool game when they already looked tired.

It's not only his wayward passing that has improved. Just as important is his control over when and how to tackle. One of his worst traits has been making stupid tackles everywhere - but more importantly in the worst areas of the pitch - particularly the penalty area.

He appears to have much more control over his game overall and yes, as you say, a better understanding of the role.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:05 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Fran Solo wrote:

It's not only his wayward passing that has improved. Just as important is his control over when and how to tackle. One of his worst traits has been making stupid tackles everywhere - but more importantly in the worst areas of the pitch - particularly the penalty area.

He appears to have much more control over his game overall and yes, as you say, a better understanding of the role.

The system suits him far better too. Ceballos working his ass off as a partner allows him to just do his job. And yes I think Arteta has control of him and the whole team for that matter.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:01 pm

Make the most of his improved performances and sell him whilst we still can.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Alexis » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:08 pm

jayramfootball wrote:Can't believe some Arsenal fans are actually suggesting we keep him.
Forget his antics, the mentality of keeping players that have shown time and time again that they will make clown-like errors at crucial moments is asinine.
It's like a person with an abusive partner claiming they've changed and won't be abusive anymore. Delusional.

What's your point? Most of us here and even the match goers are bunch of c**** that throw their toys out the pram when shit goes wrong. This escalated further with some of the fuckwits abusing his family instead of keeping it to just him on the pitch. This was playing on his head whilst he and rest of the team were putting up shite performances thanks to Emery.

Now that he is being coached under someone who knows what he wants and instructs him clearly, he actually looks like footballer and his card count has also been going down I believe so worth keeping him around as a squad player.
Alexis
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby starmandb » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:18 pm

You do realise that many of the fans that went to highbury in 2001 still go to the emirates now. I know i am one of them.
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Alexis » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:21 pm

i did say 'most'
Alexis
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby starmandb » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:33 pm

Well i lived in islington for 35 years. Still have family and friends there . Know loads of arsenal fans and would not so readily call our fans c****.
I am wholly supportive of every player weather i am in the stadium. But if i see a player strolling off when we need a goal then it infuriates me. I dont give a monkeys about someones private Idaho
The good of the team is all that matters always
starmandb

Postby Callum » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:47 pm

starmandb wrote:Well i lived in islington for 35 years. Still have family and friends there . Know loads of arsenal fans and would not so readily call our fans c****.
I am wholly supportive of every player weather i am in the stadium. But if i see a player strolling off when we need a goal then it infuriates me. I dont give a monkeys about someones private Idaho
The good of the team is all that matters always

you've not been to the emirates in months mate

fairweather
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:58 pm

I aint been off the sofa much for months mate.
If the dogs didnt need a walk i would have to be wynched out of the house. I love going football. Gigs , theatre and cinema etc. But if i didnt have to still get a few quid i would be as happy as larry to retreat into my dottage. I have played tennis a few times with my son. God... the first time took some recovery.......
starmandb

Postby elkanofan » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:08 pm

alexafc12 wrote:Interesting interview from our captain.

asked if he feared he had played his last game for Arsenal, he said:

“Of course, I don’t lie. There was a moment, because it was not easy for me and my family. I hope people understand this."

“But I think I showed my character. I am not a guy who runs away. I always say to the club, ‘When I [am] here, I am ready to give everything’. It was like this always. I train very hard and that things turned around is the key. This [has given me] the most happiness.”

“I know with or without the armband what I can give the team,” he said. “But in this moment [against Palace] I don’t want to take the armband back, but Sokratis [Papastathopoulos] and David [Luiz] told me I have to take it. If one day the club asks me about the armband, I have to think twice.”

“I had not so good a time when I was in Germany (with Borussia Monchengladbach) for the first six months because I didn’t play, but this one was something else,” said Xhaka. “This one was not about a player, this was more about a human.

“But I want to think about the future. I know we can have a big future with Mikel, with this club and that is why I am very happy.”

“I think this is the biggest difference [between] Germany and England, because [here] we don’t have the [close] connection with the fans. In Germany for example, you have open training sessions, [where] the fans come and [talk to you], ask you why."

“Here, everything is closed. So, for me, it would be good this time to explain to the people what is not going good or bad. But it doesn’t matter now. Now we have to enjoy, that’s the most ­important [thing].”

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 1582539484

Really think English teams could do with having some open training sessions.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to World Football