Granit Xhaka

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Granit Xhaka (34)

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:02 pm

Is this guy leaving or what, how long do we have to wait for this to go through, it’s literally peanuts being paid!
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:04 pm

............ has he not gone yet??

Come on Roma, save us.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:01 am

Whilst thoughts of acquiring the likes of a Maddison (ideal), Odegaard (feasible) or Isco (intrigue governed by the chaos theory) to be the lynch pin of our creative attacking play in the final third are somewhat exciting and positive, I still don't find myself being dismissive of Xhaka's ability to play the role also.

As I have stated once or twice before during the Swiss's tenure, he is deployed in a completely different role for his national team than he ever has been for us. That he possesses the ability to tread a perfectly weighted pass through the eye of a needle or disguise one enough to make the scarlet pimpernel jealous, should not be in any doubt.

On more than one occasion during Euro 2020, the commentator was in raptures regards some of his passing, especially diagonal balls over the top or putting someone in from around the side of the defence.

Regardless of this however, I am not advocating that we don't continue to acquire fresh new players for the squad and dispense with those accustomed to underachievement and their failure to perform at the required level.

Moreover, I'm inclined to think that if Roma can't afford to stump up the cash we want for him pronto so we can conduct our own transfer dealings, we simply tell them to go fish elsewhere and we just keep him as back-up to be deployed further forward without the same defensive responsibility safe in the knowledge that any issues of losing the ball are in proximity to the opposition goal rather than ours, plus effective defensive cover in midfield would now be behind him to compensate.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby swipe right » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:56 am

Xhaka influences our style of play like no other player has since maybe Cesc. And in Xhaka’s case not in a good way. Our decline of free flowing attacking football began with his arrival and getting the metronome position. Until he’s gone we are stranded. We should not even be bargaining with Rome. He is a terrible influence on our attack.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Nuggets » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:51 am

Has he gone yet?
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:44 pm

Official this week or next. Roma's preseason has already started and Mourinho wants him there ASAP.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:14 pm

aniym wrote:Official this week or next. Roma's preseason has already started and Mourinho wants him there ASAP.

When / If he leaves .......... the last time I was this happy someone left our club was Giroud.

This could unlock our midfield and I'm praying it stops dragging our attack down to a slow halt.

Party is quick release and if Lokonga is as well or Maddison / Neves whoever, then we can attack properly for a change.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:21 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
aniym wrote:Official this week or next. Roma's preseason has already started and Mourinho wants him there ASAP.

When / If he leaves .......... the last time I was this happy someone left our club was Giroud.

This could unlock our midfield and I'm praying it stops dragging our attack down to a slow halt.

Party is quick release and if Lokonga is as well or Maddison / Neves whoever, then we can attack properly for a change.

Agree - the slowness of Xhaka and too many negative passes is /was a major problem.
I am hoping the information we are being fed on Sambi is true - that he can beat a player and spring attacks.
We've missed that for a long time.
Just beating one player in midfield opens up a lot of space.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:44 pm

Just seen some posts on the AS Roma fan page stating we (AS Roma) really need him.

I'm like "f**k no" !!! I cannot believe my luck, first we get f***ing Maureen who I cannot stand and now this potential Xhaka transfer, do me a lemon.

If Arsenal sign Tammy Abraham that will be a sure sign I am being punished heavily for my transgressions ........
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:26 pm

theHotHead wrote:Just seen some posts on the AS Roma fan page stating we (AS Roma) really need him.

I'm like "f**k no" !!! I cannot believe my luck, first we get f***ing Maureen who I cannot stand and now this potential Xhaka transfer, do me a lemon.

If Arsenal sign Tammy Abraham that will be a sure sign I am being punished heavily for my transgressions ........

LGBT support you
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Angelito » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:53 pm

theHotHead wrote:Just seen some posts on the AS Roma fan page stating we (AS Roma) really need him.

To be fair to Xhaka, he'd do well in a tactical league like Serie A under Mourinho. At Arsenal, we're used to technical stalwarts and quick-passers; Arteta's 8-men-behind-the-ball notwithstanding.

Just look at Wilshere. He had as much technique to star at peak Barca. It's a shame that injuries and stupidity didn't allow him to excel. Wilshere and Diaby will forever remain what ifs.

The fact that we're struggling to get £15m flat for him is such an indictment on Edu and Arteta's non-negotiable skills.

If Xhaka were a Chelsea player, they'd have comfortably sold him for £25m.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby themessiah » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:06 pm

Diaby was not made for football. As for Wilshere was always overrated wasn’t changing games like this saka ,he had that great him against Barcelona that he lived off. And no mate, don’t just put it down to injuries. Wilshere had it on himself too, caught smoking cigarettes, caught getting drunk all the time, part of it is his own fault and in his final years id rather of had coquelein in midfield. As for Xhaka good riddance! Willian, torreria, Bellerin and Elneny next.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Losmeister » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:41 am

gtf off my team already!!
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Nuggets » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:52 am

FFS he is taking his time packing
Nuggets

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:00 am

Cheap deal and still we manage to drag this out, the guy wants to leave what’s the hold up?

It’s almost like we don’t want to get rid of him (which would make sense as Arteta seems to love playing him).
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to World Football