Granit Xhaka

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Granit Xhaka (34), Arsenal Captain

Postby LMAO » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:35 pm

Zenith wrote:
Losmeister wrote:
aniym wrote:Xhaka has the same je ne sais quoi that Fellaini had at Utd. Trusted by every manager from 2013-2018 even though he was a bit player who the fans constantly wanted out.

or maybe he speaks all the languages, ENG, ESP, FRA, TUR, BOS???

''Bosnian'' is not a language; Bosniaks speak Croatian.

Sead is born in Germany, thus his mother tongue is German, so there's no need for Xhaka to communicate in Croatian with any player in our squad.

Also, Xhaka is of Albanian descent but his mother tongue is also German as he grew up in Switzerland.

Albanian and Croatian are two entirely different languages, which makes it highly unlikely that Xhaka even speaks Croatian (sic: ''Bosnian''').

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnian_language

It's like Czech and Slovak basically being the same language, no?
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Ach » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:36 pm

aniym wrote:Xhaka has the same je ne sais quoi that Fellaini had at Utd. Trusted by every manager from 2013-2018 even though he was a bit player who the fans constantly wanted out.

Fellaini was a good player. Xhaka is garbage.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:53 pm

LMAO wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Losmeister wrote:

Sead is born in Germany, thus his mother tongue is German, so there's no need for Xhaka to communicate in Croatian with any player in our squad.

Also, Xhaka is of Albanian descent but his mother tongue is also German as he grew up in Switzerland.

Albanian and Croatian are two entirely different languages, which makes it highly unlikely that Xhaka even speaks Croatian (sic: ''Bosnian''').

Czech and Slovak is comparable to British English and American English. Whether one considers that as ''the same'' is predominantly down to semantics.

With Croatian it's slightly more complex.

Croats and Bosniaks speak Croatian and share the same (Latin) alphabet.

Serbians, however, also speak Croatian (Serbo-Coatian), but predominantly use the Cyrillic alphabet in writing, which, to us, would look (not sound!) like Russian or Bulgarian - even though it's simply Croatian, albeit written in a different alphabet.

It's the same with Montenegro, I believe.

IIRC both Nejc and Jedi are from Balkan countries so they can shed more light on this and correct us if needed. :Peace:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Jedi » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:04 am

LMAO wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Losmeister wrote:

As a Serb, i perfectly understand Croatian and Bosnian. In fact, the differences are often hard to notice. For me, it's easier to tell apart an American accent from a UK or an Australian one, than it is to differentiate between a Serb and a Bosnian. I also easily communicate with Slovenes and Macedonians, although their languages are a bit different. Basically all of the ex-Yugoslavia countries have a very similar language. As for Albanian it is completely different and shares virtually nothing with these languages.
Zenith wrote:Czech and Slovak is comparable to British English and American English. Whether one considers that as ''the same'' is predominantly down to semantics.

With Croatian it's slightly more complex.

Croats and Bosniaks speak Croatian and share the same (Latin) alphabet.

Serbians, however, also speak Croatian (Serbo-Coatian), but predominantly use the Cyrillic alphabet in writing, which, to us, would look (not sound!) like Russian or Bulgarian - even though it's simply Croatian, albeit written in a different alphabet.

It's the same with Montenegro, I believe.

IIRC both Nejc and Jedi are from Balkan countries so they can shed more light on this and correct us if needed. :Peace:

Mostly correct, although the average Serb would insist everyone is speaking Serbian. I'm no history buff, but it would probably be more accurate to call the language Serbian than to call it Croatian, although i can't look past my biases here.

Before the wars, in Yugoslavia, it was officially called Serbo-Croatian. Due to the insanely complex history of the Balkans, i don't think there's one correct answer here, it's simply the common language for these territories. Also in Serbia, both Latin and the Cyrillic alphabet are official and equally used.

As for Montenegro, their rendition of the language was/is completely the same as the one in Serbia and was literally officially called Serbian until 2007, when then they decided to invent Montenegrin by adding two new letters and changing some of the grammar.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby tufnelltoughie » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:08 am

Losmeister wrote:

It's unlikely he speaks all those language's fluently but it's a bit academic as most non british players speak very good english these days.
tufnelltoughie
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby immsun » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:40 am

Xhaka after Watford game : We were scared

Gets booed by the fans.

Biggest defensive liability in the squad.

Now captain of the club.

Excellent Emery. What a guy.

f**k off both of you.
immsun
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby theHotHead » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:06 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Hybrid47 wrote:Point is, it wasn't Emery's decision it was a player vote.

Emery consulted with the players. The final decision lay with Emery.

But it seems the deflection tactic is working. He picked the perfect time to announce Xhaka as the captain—5-0 drubbing of Forest. He "consulted" with the players and made sure, the press knew about it.

Considering Emery's history of cowardice.. I prefer to merely insinuate.. If I say it loud, I will be in trouble. :P

Coward. :P

It's an unbelievable decision to make.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:08 am

LMAO wrote:

Put some respeck on Fellaini's name. He actually won United a fair amount of points.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby alexafc12 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:36 am

Proud to call this player my captain
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:11 am

I like Xhaka :hiding:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:16 am

So relived Unai fought so hard to keep him at the club this summer. £50m LOL what are they smoking over there at the San Siro. Glad Unai was having none of it.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:30 pm

As captain, would Xhaka be within his right to have the P A play Elton John's "I'm still standing" or Queens "I am the great pretender" as the teams come out at the Emirates? Just wondering.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Est83 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:09 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:I like Xhaka :hiding:

I'll bite...

Please explain why.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:11 pm

Est83 wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:I like Xhaka :hiding:

I'll bite...

Please explain why.
A number of reasons:

For years Wenger had filled our CM with short, technical Fabregas, Cazorla types. Finally when we signed Xhaka we had a proper hard man in midfield again.

When he first joined and went flying into tackles and scored a few screamers I became a fan. He and Kolasinac brought that nasty side which the likes of Keown and Vieira used to have and which had been missing for years.

Then last season he was played out of position at LB and CB. He didn't complain or make excuses (as other players have) and put in 'decent' performances.

In our decent run last season he and Torreira were a strong partnership. We have won games with him in the team and he has had some great games for us.

I see a player who is fully committed, to the club, to the tackle and to his team mates.

I understand the criticism, I know he has mistakes in him, I just like his attitude, commitment and playing style.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:15 pm

"his attitude, commitment"

his teammates must see something along these lines...
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to World Football