Granit Xhaka

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Granit Xhaka (34)

Postby elkanofan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:29 pm

I think this is a bad move. The team needs to be rebuilt. He disliked by many within the fanbase and he seemed as if he needs a new start somewhere else. But Arteta seems to have convinced him to say where as i can see if we did sell him he could go out a buy a better suited replacement which can adjust to our new possession style which arteta wants to utilise here.

Theres still something very, very wrong with this club. We are so, so bad at recruiting players when needed and getting rid of players at the right time.

I like Xhaka, i like his game but he don't really suit how Arteta wants to play and i don't think will be good enough and effective when we play the better sides consistently. Not to mention Xhaka/Torreria/Guendouzi all play in deeper orientated midfield roles. They are all different but essentially are all regista like players. We need someone who's better not just box t box but someone who can really carry the balk and is a genuine goal threat with assists and 5-10 goals a season from midfield.

I will remain behind Arteta hopefully till the end but he's already making a few decisions which seem to me will hurt him in the long run. He needs players, if we don't buy properly this month we are screwed.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:33 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Özim wrote:Can't believe what I'm seeing, Arteta said he convinced Xhaka to stay, to all those who say he doesn't rate him and will mov him on think again, seems the manager rates him:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/11904893/mikel-arteta-i-convinced-granit-xhaka-to-stay-at-arsenal

This is definitely a negative, we cannot move forward with this guy in the team and if Arteta rates him I can only question his ability to spot talent.

Here we go again.

As seen with the Leeds game, a hard working and pressing team will cause him problems. Without Torreira next to him, Auba pressing on the left, AMN dropping into midfield to support, we really struggled to control the game and were lucky to have not lost the game in the first half. He wasn't pressing as hard as he should have and he wasn't showing for the ball. He only completed 22 passes with just 78% passing accuracy which is poor.

The only glimmer of hope I can take from that game is the 2nd half and I did notice that Xhaka had stopped backing off the opposition and started pressing more. The only problem with that was the amount of fouls he gave away. He was lucky with some of the foul calls. Leeds aren't a crap team but luckily he didn't collapse but yes, I hope Arteta keeps an eye on this Xhaka situation and hooks him if he continues to have similar performances.

I think we need to get rid of Xhaka, if we have to keep him until the summer then fine, I'd rather not but if we do then we do. The issue I have is the fact the manager is showing this guy with praise constantly as if he's some sort of world beater, it seems to me he rates him which really makes me question the guys' judgment to be honest.

We cannot move forward with a player so limited, yes he's had one or two ok games, but at the end of the day, he's slow, can't tackle and gives away goals, on top of that he behaved appaulingly and couldn't even be bothered to apologise. Seems to me as is the norm with a number of Arsenal fans the excuses are starting to rollout about how he might be ok, he might be this he might be that, there's no accountability, even the fans forget after 3 games.

You need better players thatn him in midfield, Luiz is a better option for sure and doesn't get played there for some reason. Like you I think Guendouzi has good energy as well and could do a job if he's taught a bit more discipline.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:56 pm

elkanofan wrote:I think this is a bad move. The team needs to be rebuilt. He disliked by many within the fanbase and he seemed as if he needs a new start somewhere else. But Arteta seems to have convinced him to say where as i can see if we did sell him he could go out a buy a better suited replacement which can adjust to our new possession style which arteta wants to utilise here.

Theres still something very, very wrong with this club. We are so, so bad at recruiting players when needed and getting rid of players at the right time.

I like Xhaka, i like his game but he don't really suit how Arteta wants to play and i don't think will be good enough and effective when we play the better sides consistently. Not to mention Xhaka/Torreria/Guendouzi all play in deeper orientated midfield roles. They are all different but essentially are all regista like players. We need someone who's better not just box t box but someone who can really carry the balk and is a genuine goal threat with assists and 5-10 goals a season from midfield.

I will remain behind Arteta hopefully till the end but he's already making a few decisions which seem to me will hurt him in the long run. He needs players, if we don't buy properly this month we are screwed.

I have more hope for Guendouzi developing into a box to box player but that's going to take time. We need someone in asap.

Question marks in all areas for the hierarchy at the moment. The last few months have shown them up and I'm knocking some points off Raul's scorecard.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:58 pm

Özim wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Özim wrote:Can't believe what I'm seeing, Arteta said he convinced Xhaka to stay, to all those who say he doesn't rate him and will mov him on think again, seems the manager rates him:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/11904893/mikel-arteta-i-convinced-granit-xhaka-to-stay-at-arsenal

This is definitely a negative, we cannot move forward with this guy in the team and if Arteta rates him I can only question his ability to spot talent.

Here we go again.

As seen with the Leeds game, a hard working and pressing team will cause him problems. Without Torreira next to him, Auba pressing on the left, AMN dropping into midfield to support, we really struggled to control the game and were lucky to have not lost the game in the first half. He wasn't pressing as hard as he should have and he wasn't showing for the ball. He only completed 22 passes with just 78% passing accuracy which is poor.

The only glimmer of hope I can take from that game is the 2nd half and I did notice that Xhaka had stopped backing off the opposition and started pressing more. The only problem with that was the amount of fouls he gave away. He was lucky with some of the foul calls. Leeds aren't a crap team but luckily he didn't collapse but yes, I hope Arteta keeps an eye on this Xhaka situation and hooks him if he continues to have similar performances.

I think we need to get rid of Xhaka, if we have to keep him until the summer then fine, I'd rather not but if we do then we do. The issue I have is the fact the manager is showing this guy with praise constantly as if he's some sort of world beater, it seems to me he rates him which really makes me question the guys' judgment to be honest.

We cannot move forward with a player so limited, yes he's had one or two ok games, but at the end of the day, he's slow, can't tackle and gives away goals, on top of that he behaved appaulingly and couldn't even be bothered to apologise. Seems to me as is the norm with a number of Arsenal fans the excuses are starting to rollout about how he might be ok, he might be this he might be that, there's no accountability, even the fans forget after 3 games.

You need better players thatn him in midfield, Luiz is a better option for sure and doesn't get played there for some reason. Like you I think Guendouzi has good energy as well and could do a job if he's taught a bit more discipline.

I know what you mean and it's a worry that he's trying to make room for him in the squad. I can only hope it's a smokescreen to drive his value up. We have other options as you've mentioned. Players more gifted technically, quicker players and better tacklers but we're still picking Xhaka.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:10 pm

We actually kind of need Xhaka right now unfortunately. At least until we can get in someone better and it sounds like that ain't happening this window. I still hope we do and he goes in the summer, but with Douzi being so shit at the moment we don't have many options.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby elkanofan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
elkanofan wrote:I think this is a bad move. The team needs to be rebuilt. He disliked by many within the fanbase and he seemed as if he needs a new start somewhere else. But Arteta seems to have convinced him to say where as i can see if we did sell him he could go out a buy a better suited replacement which can adjust to our new possession style which arteta wants to utilise here.

I have more hope for Guendouzi developing into a box to box player but that's going to take time. We need someone in asap.

Question marks in all areas for the hierarchy at the moment. The last few months have shown them up and I'm knocking some points off Raul's scorecard.
Yeah. Like I've said. Even if Arteta struggles and we lose games, fall into a relegation battle my anger is all on the board.

This decision to keep Xhaka seems very idealistic of Arteta. A symptom of him not having any experience. Seems like he wants to be players close friends along with their coach.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:08 pm

elkanofan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Yeah. Like I've said. Even if Arteta struggles and we lose games, fall into a relegation battle my anger is all on the board.

This decision to keep Xhaka seems very idealistic of Arteta. A symptom of him not having any experience. Seems like he wants to be players close friends along with their coach.

The handling of Emery's departure, hiring Ljunberg and then scrambling to appoint Arteta set alarm bells off. I just hope they've been lucky with Arteta or they were just unlucky with how the Emery/Ljunberg situation panned out. I've lost a lot of confidence in Raul and co.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby ESR10 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:58 pm

Early to tell, if Arteta is really a Xhaka fan or just knows that Arsenal doesn't have the funds to replace him in January, so is just saying the right words to keep him here motivated till the summer.

As many said even with all his flaws, Xhaka is still one of our better midfielders and unless Guendouzi and/or Ceballos step up, he deserves starting for us.

I'm giving Arteta the benefit of the doubt. He seems more ruthless in his approach and even the Athetic claims that he wants an athletic midfielder this window to compete Xhaka for his starting place, so he does seem to see the problem.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Santi » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:57 pm

Mans a c*** and needs to leave but we also need him til summer really. Hopefully we still sell him then.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Zanatos3 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:28 pm

Santi wrote:Mans a c*** and needs to leave but we also need him til summer really. Hopefully we still sell him then.

We don't NEED Xhaka,

This is the january Transfer Window, OPEN SEASON, & there are some fools that forget Quickly! & Completely

we play some games agianst teams every week that are on the Level of Prime Barca, Bayern & Real....AKA Leeds united, ManU NOW & Crystal Palace

& some people think Xhaka did well in these games,

Not thinking that when we go for our Now Annual Route Canal Cleaning at ManCity & Liverpool...the best in the world Now...

Xhaka's lack of skill, Lack of Pace, Lack of tackling & ball winning nuance ... Lack of bottle to block a shot toward goal with his SOUL

as Torreira does Naturally.

If some are fouled by???? that he's ok then this is the Perfect Time to SELL HIM!

25mil at Least we could get for him now!

Imagine what positions we could fill with 25mil? ... [ Get a young DM, & a RB/LB Yan Couto Brazillian DEFENDER, not even 6mil like Martinelli]

&

Not If,...... WHEN we throw OUT MUSTAFI!....definitely at least 1mil extra change !!!!! at LEAST!!!...

We could get two defensive players in January that we Crucially need, young talent, fast, fit!

Will Arty do what needs to be done?
Zanatos3
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:10 am

Well unless we're buying a new CM then unfortuntely we do need Xhaka, whether you like it or not it just comes down to to the bare facts of lack of numbers and he's not stinking the place up atm.

I'd rather we had a different CM to play alongside Torreria but outside of Guendouzi we have no one in the club unless we put Luiz in midfield .......... but then we'd need a CB.

So the answer is simple, without a signing we have to play him.

I haven't forgotten or forgiven, we just don't have anyone that wanted to buy him (Hertha wanted a loan only) and we have no other senior Midfielders to play deep.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby greengoonerie » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:19 am

I disagree. I'd rather Arsenal play with 10 men without Xhaka than 11 with Xhaka. He's that bad.

Another shit show performance against Palace on Saturday.

Multiple touches where one will do

for every 10 passes 9 of them go backwards and one goes sideways. Sadly he has absolutely NO idea how to pass a ball forwards.

And as for cowardice - wtf for Palace's goal - watch his "bravery" as Ayew goes to shout. Coward, coward coward!

Get rid of now.

Seriously, he's an example of all that is wrong at this club - mediocre, cowardly, no ambition. Just picks up the paycheck.
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Santi » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:17 pm

Many touches when one will do?

Man like Xhaka filling dat Ramsey void lmao
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:18 pm

I understand why Arteta did what he did, but it's still disappointing. He could have shown more courage and tried something new instead of falling back on Wenger and Emery's failed experiments.

What do we lose if Xhaka left this window? Top 4 is long gone, and we were never getting relegated, with or without him.

The only time his performances are ever praised is when the rest of the team do so badly that he doesn't look as bad by comparison. That is a grim benchmark.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Santi » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:28 pm

Wondering who you lot Wana play in CM if we sell Xhaka
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to World Football