Granit Xhaka

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Granit Xhaka (34)

Postby Yago » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:37 am

what does deep progressions even mean

yeah sure, he taps the ball to Kolasinac who is 5m further up the field plenty, but that means f**k all
you need only watch the game to see Xhaka just isn't up to the required level.
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby Angelito » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:11 am

Yago wrote:what does deep progressions even mean

yeah sure, he taps the ball to Kolasinac who is 5m further up the field plenty, but that means f**k all

He recycles the ball well in a sense of passing it forward and playing as a DLP. But he's too one-dimensional as I said in my initial post. That's his issue. You need to play a 4-3-3 for Xhaka to succeed and that seems to be the case with most CMs at Arsenal for most of this decade. It was the case with Ramsey too.

We need a complete midfielder. Just because Xhaka's the best we have going forward, it doesn't mean Xhaka is the one we should aspire for. Part of the reason why we haven't been as successful this decade is simply because we haven't had a world class CM since the days of Cesc Fabregas there. That's unacceptable. The midfield position has been so neglected over the years.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:28 am

Apart from "some" decent clipped balls forward and a blockbuster shot Xhaka is nothing special at all.

He cannot defend, he has no pace, he dwells on the ball too long - much like Guendouzi, his mistakes lead to direct goals too frequently, he is one dimensional, he can't beat a player.

If you want to jump for joy because he has the best "deep progressions" in the team then yip de f***ing doo!! But in no way does that positive attribute outweigh the negatives and neither does it trump the positive attributes of Torreira and Guendouzi. And his shot doesn't save him either.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:35 am

No-one’s saying he is, I’m just laying out facts

Deep Progressions – Passes, dribbles and carries into the opposition final third per 90 minutes.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:48 am

Angelito wrote:

He recycles the ball well in a sense of passing it forward and playing as a DLP. But he's too one-dimensional as I said in my initial post. That's his issue. You need to play a 4-3-3 for Xhaka to succeed and that seems to be the case with most CMs at Arsenal for most of this decade. It was the case with Ramsey too.

We need a complete midfielder. Just because Xhaka's the best we have going forward, it doesn't mean Xhaka is the one we should aspire for. Part of the reason why we haven't been as successful this decade is simply because we haven't had a world class CM since the days of Cesc Fabregas there. That's unacceptable. The midfield position has been so neglected over the years.

I think the midfield role is the most crucial position for us to get right. One wrong player can have a drastic effect on how we approach games and it results in pressure on the defence and attack to create goals from scraps. You notice the immediate effect a player like Cesc, Rosicky or Santi has on the team when playing as CM's. They dictate the pace and orchestrate play. We have have so badly missed that and have been depending on individual brilliance for a long time.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Nuggets » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:02 am

gooney wrote:Trash player....really dumb, slow and arrogant. Our next captain

Happy days. :(
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Jedi » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:56 am

I don't like this toxic behavior on social media. Even if Xhaka is limited, it's not his fault he's playing, and it's not like we have Pirlo sitting on the bench. Same goes for Mustafi who got booed yesterday.

They're wearing the shirt and trying their best so fans should always be 100% behind them.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby #ST » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:03 am

In my humble opinion this guy has NOTHING on Joe Willock
Wembley:
Community Shield @6-8-'23 = 1*-1 Manchester City

Emirates Stadium:
First game @10-9-'11 = 1 - 0 Swansea
Most memorable game @24-2-'22 = 2 - 1 Wolves
Last game @14-04-'24 = 0 - 2 Aston Villa
Next game @4-05-'24 = VS Bournemouth [ No ticket yet ]
#ST
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner

Postby Angelito » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:27 am

Jedi wrote:

I don't like this toxic behavior on social media. Even if Xhaka is limited, it's not his fault he's playing, and it's not like we have Pirlo sitting on the bench. Same goes for Mustafi who got booed yesterday.

They're wearing the shirt and trying their best so fans should always be 100% behind them.

Booing players is petty and cheap. It never does anything unless the player has committed some sort of a crime or violated someone's rights. It's worse if you're booing your own player. Pathetic.

I can never understand booing ex players too unless it's an exceptional offense like with Ashley Cole.

I'd bash Arsenal fans but I prefer not to speak so as to not offend the legions of idiots. Oh wait.. :hiding:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:52 am

I used to say don't boo the players, boo Wenger for picking them.

Whose fault is it Mustafi and Chambers are still here? Is it Emery? Edu? Its not clear anymore.

I love Xhaka by the way, can't understand booing a player who always gives 110%
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:08 pm

Can't stand this guy.

Ozil has been poor, and his reported infectious misery in the changing room is enough to consider moving him on (that shit spreads!). But can't help think that Ozil's ineffectiveness was - in part - down to Xhaka's slow transition and inability to pass between the lines. I've seen the stats, I know he's played more forward passes than any other player, but I don't remember seeing them, and the ones I do see go flying through the air.

Felt like the front four were often isolated due to no inventiveness or direct play coming from the midfield, specifically from Xhaka.

... plus he's a major liability as far as last ditch challenges and cards go.

CB is top priority, and if we can't get anyone else, I'd rather give the younger players a chance on midfield.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:39 pm

I really hope he wins everyone over one day. I love his level of aggression and commitment.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:50 pm

I mean, I can replicate that. Like, what I lack in skill I can more than make up in enthusiasm.

Do I have you support PG? I'm only 5'10", but even though i'm 35, I honestly feel like I'm still growing.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Nuggets » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:55 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:I really hope he wins everyone over one day. I love his level of aggression and commitment.

When he first came I like his aggression and commitment but after his brain farts it was hard to see him in a good positive light. I really do hope he turns it around, can't see it now but I still hope.
Nuggets

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:55 pm

Est83 wrote:I mean, I can replicate that. Like, what I lack in skill I can more than make up in enthusiasm.

Do I have you support PG? I'm only 5'10", but even though i'm 35, I honestly feel like I'm still growing.

:lol:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to World Football