Granit Xhaka

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Granit Xhaka (34)

Postby theHotHead » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:25 pm

I actually think he played quite well yesterday, that tackle was worth the admission.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:40 am

Getting better under Arteta.

Our new slogan.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:58 am

Start the clock. Let's see how long he goes without a disaster moment.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:00 am

He is not suited to English football so there is no point getting your hopes up about Xhaka.

As for the new slogan, getting better after hitting rock bottom is no cause for celebration, Arteta still hasn't gotten us back to our starting position
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:48 am

Zero hope for him improving hence why I say start the clock. It's inevitable.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Callum » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:19 pm

theHotHead wrote:He is not suited to English football so there is no point getting your hopes up about Xhaka.

As for the new slogan, getting better after hitting rock bottom is no cause for celebration, Arteta still hasn't gotten us back to our starting position

Beating Spurs is always a cause for celebration.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Slick » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:48 pm

I thought he sucked today. That first goal by Lingard he was way off the play just standing there holding his nuts. Turned the ball over carelessly at least 4 times in the opposing side’s 1/3 in the first half.

Just not good enough to warrant starting every match.
Slick
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby billie86 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:29 pm

Needs to learn to use his right foot and not always take the easy pass, as much as partey wasn't fantastic today he plays passes that break the lines and get us breaking forward, xhaka doesn't seem to have that ability and 90% of the time slows our play down. Imo in the summer we should go for a player who can play on the front foot and is more mobile.
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:37 pm

Xhaka considering move back to Germany some time in the future:

(GERMAN)

https://sport.sky.de/fussball/artikel/a ... 0296/34357
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:10 pm

Tomorrow is the future. Come on Granit, the future is tomorrow, book your flights, I will call you an Uber.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:15 pm

As a handsome and dashing young man, I wasn't exactly a fashionista per se, but would often trawl clothes shops looking for stylish threads if not necessarily what was the latest fashion. Think funky dread before the term and movement governed by Soul II Soul and Jazzy B came to prominence and you're pretty much there.

In that my physique was not too far removed from that of Turbo B from Snap, and at work I'd often tolerate being compared to him if it wasn't PM Dawn instead, on occasion I'd find an item a bit obscure and unique that I really liked which was either a size or two too small or (admittedly less rare) too big, and no matter how much squeezing, inhaling and manipulating of mirrors that I did, I knew the garment just didn't fit me properly or look right no matter how much I wanted it to.

And that's exactly the same as I feel about Granit Xhaka and the Arsenal team. That his Arsenal managers never saw fit to earmark a DM to play alongside him same as he'd performed in Germany which prompted us to him in the first place, will forever remain a mystery.

His displayed deficiencies in central midfield need no further highlighting by me whilst recognition of his good qualities have sometimes been unfairly dismissed. Previous comments would probably identify me as a sympathiser but with consistent criticisms.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Xhaka genuinely gives a shit about Arsenal and would love to lead us on to glory at the highest levels. However, in coming across as a cognitive kind of guy, I believe part of him is already resigned to the team needing to go in another direction now to achieve that ultimate aim, and he doesn't have a ticket to ride. Mind you, stranger things have happened.
Last edited by thebigbangtheo on Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:23 pm

I still think he could be our henderson. No liverpool fan would have had hendo in their first team until their title win. That said, he has burnt his bridges with so many fans he could score the winner as motm in a champions league final and still be wanted out by some.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:12 pm

He’ll never be our Henderson, he’s been here for 6 years now, plenty of time to prove good enough m, he’s not and never will be.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:26 pm

Tony Adams wrote:I still think he could be our henderson. No liverpool fan would have had hendo in their first team until their title win. That said, he has burnt his bridges with so many fans he could score the winner as motm in a champions league final and still be wanted out by some.

I always rated Henderson as decent at the very least, at Sunderland.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:18 pm

Tony Adams wrote:I still think he could be our henderson. No liverpool fan would have had hendo in their first team until their title win. That said, he has burnt his bridges with so many fans he could score the winner as motm in a champions league final and still be wanted out by some.

Xhaka and Henderson are both popular in the dressing room, and that's where the similarities stop.

As a footballer Henderson is average, but in no way has he contributed to defensive snafus to nearly the same extent as Xhaka has. Henderson has also improved over time, particularly once Wijnaldum and Fabinho joined.

Xhaka OTOH has been the same player regardless of who's been next to him: Elneny, Torreira, Guendo, Ceballos, Partey....none of them really made a difference.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to World Football