Granit Xhaka

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Granit Xhaka (34)

Postby ESR10 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:49 am

Why does Emery start him wonders me? Seems to be the first name on the team sheet no matter how shit he is
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Zedie » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:51 am

Our midfield is to light without him and we didn't sign an alternative that has the size he brings to the side.

That's why he starts.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:07 am

Zedie wrote:Our midfield is to light without him and we didn't sign an alternative that has the size he brings to the side.

That's why he starts.

I agree.

Every successful modern team needs a battling midfield player who disrupts the opposition play. Stops people playing if you like. That role will inevitably involve having to fowl.

But to play that role in the modern game you have to have a lot of savvy. Wit and guile. You have to know where and when to fowl, and how to fowl effectively. He just doesn't have that. He doesn;'t have the slightest clue how to play with those qualities. He plays that role like an idiot.

For high profile examples of players who do it right, look at Fernandinho, Busquets, Kroos, Makelele, Javi Martinez, Fabinho.

Xhaka is more like Terry Hurlock.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:09 am

Mustafi wrote:Why does Emery start him wonders me? Seems to be the first name on the team sheet no matter how shit he is

He can't tackle, he's not quick or smart enough to intercept the ball, he's not good in the air, which makes his size and height irrelevant. He can't play on the pivot so if under pressure he can't turn or shield the ball. We are forced to play the ball in the direction he is facing, overrated passer....we should be starting Celballos, Torriera and Guen.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Zedie » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:12 am

Phil71 wrote:
Zedie wrote:Our midfield is to light without him and we didn't sign an alternative that has the size he brings to the side.

That's why he starts.

I agree.

Every successful modern team needs a battling midfield player who disrupts the opposition play. Stops people playing if you like. That role will inevitably involve having to fowl.

But to play that role in the modern game you have to have a lot of savvy. Wit and guile. You have to know where and when to fowl, and how to fowl effectively. He just doesn't have that. He doesn;'t have the slightest clue how to play with those qualities. He plays that role like an idiot.

For high profile examples of players who do it right, look at Fernandinho, Busquets, Kroos, Makelele, Javi Martinez, Fabinho.

Agreed with all of this.

Then I think through anyone else in the squad that can do this. I get to maybe David luiz but that's it.

Torriera gets dominated arieally so we lose lots of second balls.

Guendouzi talents would be wasted there plus I don't recon hes strong enough yet to battle the likes of the players you mentioned

Cabellos is fiery but suffers from the same issue torriera has plus hes not actually that strong.

We don't have a proper alternative so he plays.

Its exactly why I was so pissed that we didn't spend more in the summer.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:13 am

Phil71 wrote:

That's why he starts.

I agree.

Exactly. Xhaka just looks the part. If he's unable to protect the backline there is no point in playing him. Guen, Torriera and Ceballos are more mobile, more aggressive and better at tackling.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Zedie » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:18 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

That's why he starts.

I agree.

Exactly. Xhaka just looks the part. If he's unable to protect the backline there is no point in playing him. Guen, Torriera and Ceballos are more mobile, more aggressive and better at tackling.

Which one of those is most likely to beat a harry kane or fernandinho or fabinho in a duel?
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:24 am

Zedie wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

That's why he starts.

I agree.

Which one of those is most likely to beat a harry kane or fernandinho or fabinho in a duel?

Guendouzi is 6ft 1 and taller than Xhaka. The first goal we conceded because Xhaka lost a duel header and Sokratis foolishly ran up to try and challenge for the header as well.

Also, late In the second half, i don't know if you noticed, but there was a moment Xhaka completely missed an uncontested header with no pressure. He just looks the part.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Zedie » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:32 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

That's why he starts.

I agree.

Guendouzi is 6ft 1 and taller than Xhaka. The first goal we conceded because Xhaka lost a duel header and Sokratis foolishly ran up to try and challenge for the header as well.

Also, late In the second half, i don't know if you noticed, but there was a moment Xhaka completely missed an uncontested header with no pressure. He just looks the part.

2 incidents out of a whole game. Hes going to win most and lose a few.

Guendouzi has struggled against more physical teams because hes 19 and hasn't yet got his full strength. Hes ok against most but struggles vs stronger players and ends up on the floor waving his hands for a free kick.

Don't get me wrong hes quality, but needs time to grow. Hes also not that great in the air for the same reason so would get beaten a lot more aeirially by the likes of kane over 90 minutes.

We'd need to rely on CBs to challenge early which then leaves holes at the back after the flick on if they lose which then leads to open space and defenders running back towards our goal.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:37 am

That's why he starts.

I will not stand for this disrespect to Chambers :snooty:
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:43 am

Zedie wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

That's why he starts.

I agree.

2 incidents out of a whole game. Hes going to win most and lose a few.

Guendouzi has struggled against more physical teams because hes 19 and hasn't yet got his full strength. Hes ok against most but struggles vs stronger players and ends up on the floor waving his hands for a free kick.

Don't get me wrong hes quality, but needs time to grow. Hes also not that great in the air for the same reason so would get beaten a lot more aeirially by the likes of kane over 90 minutes.

We'd need to rely on CBs to challenge early which then leaves holes at the back after the flick on if they lose which then leads to open space and defenders running back towards our goal.

The first was a costly incident and it was Kane vs Xhaka. After losing that aerial duel, he didn't have the recover pace to cut out a pass or close down a man either.

It's no justification to keep him in the team. Not all teams play it long and even if they do, he's not that good in the air. Sokratis must know that as well which is why he made that decision to try and win it..
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:45 am

Heck, you saw the stupid penalty he gave away, right? Defend it if you want. If you see a good player in Xhaka and I don't know what else to say.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:55 am

Let's keep him because he's physical, which isn't actually the case as has been proven by his countless brain fart moments, but for the sake of this argument, let's accept this.

So, we should play a physical player who is error-prone, cannot turn under pressure, is slow as hell, is reckless, is totally dumb, and costs us points every season, and was the sole reason why we didn't win yesterday?

Oh, and we have not finished in the top-4 since he's been out starting CM.

Yes, let's continue to play him. :rolleyes:

Baffling that he still has his supporters.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby swipe right » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:02 am

If you play Cebalos and Torreira as CMs and a number ten in front of them, you don’t need Xhaka.

———-Ozil
Cebalos—Torreira
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Hybrid47 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:06 am

Couldn't agree more with what has been said.

The fact a Professional footballer continues to make schoolboy errors in vital areas of the pitch is just unforgivable especially in a game of that magnitude.

All three of our other mids are better than him. And I don't accept having him in the side just because he gives off the facade he's physical. He's slow, can't tackle and reminds me of Denilson.

Let alone it's like playing with the handbrake on.
Hybrid47
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

PreviousNext

Return to World Football