Granit Xhaka

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Granit Xhaka (34)

Postby alexafc12 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:38 am

New captain.

WE'VE GOT OUR CAPTAIN BACK
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby swipe right » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:14 am

To be fair, he hasn’t put a foot wrong since his return. Even Partey looks better next to him. Maybe there is some hope.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:16 am

Should have been sent off at 3-0 today and the winning goal against Everton was because he didn’t make a tackle and was out of position .

He’s hopeless, get rid.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Jedi » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:01 am

Salibatelli wrote:Should have been sent off at 3-0 today and the winning goal against Everton was because he didn’t make a tackle and was out of position .

He’s hopeless, get rid.

never a red
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Nuggets » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:57 am

He is the clown's boyfriend he ain't going nowhere lol
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:48 am

thebigbangtheo wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:Whilst thoughts of acquiring the likes of a Maddison (ideal), Odegaard (feasible) or Isco (intrigue governed by the chaos theory) to be the lynch pin of our creative attacking play in the final third are somewhat exciting and positive, I still don't find myself being dismissive of Xhaka's ability to play the role also.

As I have stated once or twice before during the Swiss's tenure, he is deployed in a completely different role for his national team than he ever has been for us. That he possesses the ability to tread a perfectly weighted pass through the eye of a needle or disguise one enough to make the scarlet pimpernel jealous, should not be in any doubt.

On more than one occasion during Euro 2020, the commentator was in raptures regards some of his passing, especially diagonal balls over the top or putting someone in from around the side of the defence.

Regardless of this however, I am not advocating that we don't continue to acquire fresh new players for the squad and dispense with those accustomed to underachievement and their failure to perform at the required level.

Moreover, I'm inclined to think that if Roma can't afford to stump up the cash we want for him pronto so we can conduct our own transfer dealings, we simply tell them to go fish elsewhere and we just keep him as back-up to be deployed further forward without the same defensive responsibility safe in the knowledge that any issues of losing the ball are in proximity to the opposition goal rather than ours, plus effective defensive cover in midfield would now be behind him to compensate.

I stand by my previous musings, on the basis of Xhaka only being deployed in a more progressive manner further forward of the DM and DLP roles we are more accustomed to him playing and instead be utilised along the lines of how he is for Switzerland which seems to produce the better version of player.

The immediate by product of this unintended retention of his services would be scope to release both Elnenny and Kolasinac for nominal £1-2M fees or even less in the grand scheme of clearing the decks of mediocre players and sub par mentalities marinated in defeat, self doubt and dispair.

Keeping Xhaka as a second, hopefully third choice option in exchange for being able to now jettison Kolasinac and Elnenny would represent a 66% success rate of moving surplus players on, up from the current achievement of 0.00% and diminishing the horde of parasites we are infested with.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:46 am

thebigbangtheo wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:Whilst thoughts of acquiring the likes of a Maddison (ideal), Odegaard (feasible) or Isco (intrigue governed by the chaos theory) to be the lynch pin of our creative attacking play in the final third are somewhat exciting and positive, I still don't find myself being dismissive of Xhaka's ability to play the role also.

As I have stated once or twice before during the Swiss's tenure, he is deployed in a completely different role for his national team than he ever has been for us. That he possesses the ability to tread a perfectly weighted pass through the eye of a needle or disguise one enough to make the scarlet pimpernel jealous, should not be in any doubt.

On more than one occasion during Euro 2020, the commentator was in raptures regards some of his passing, especially diagonal balls over the top or putting someone in from around the side of the defence.

Regardless of this however, I am not advocating that we don't continue to acquire fresh new players for the squad and dispense with those accustomed to underachievement and their failure to perform at the required level.

Moreover, I'm inclined to think that if Roma can't afford to stump up the cash we want for him pronto so we can conduct our own transfer dealings, we simply tell them to go fish elsewhere and we just keep him as back-up to be deployed further forward without the same defensive responsibility safe in the knowledge that any issues of losing the ball are in proximity to the opposition goal rather than ours, plus effective defensive cover in midfield would now be behind him to compensate.

I stand by my previous musings, on the basis of Xhaka only being deployed in a more progressive manner further forward of the DM and DLP roles we are more accustomed to him playing and instead be utilised along the lines of how he is for Switzerland which seems to produce the better version of player.

The immediate by product of this unintended retention of his services would be scope to release both Elnenny and Kolasinac for nominal £1-2M fees or even less in the grand scheme of clearing the decks of mediocre players and sub par mentalities marinated in defeat, self doubt and dispair.

Keeping Xhaka as a second, hopefully third choice option in exchange for being able to now jettison Kolasinac and Elnenny would represent a 66% success rate of moving surplus players on, up from the current achievement of 0.00% and diminishing the horde of parasites we are infested with.
The problem has always been that we've needed a defensive midfielder. Someone to sit in front of the back four and play as a third centre back. Xhaka is not a defensive midfielder. He has size and aggression, he is built like a DM, but he isn't one. Same with Partey, same with Sambi.

Maybe if we had a proper DM we could play a midfield three with Odegaard and Smith Rowe sitting in front of him. We need someone who is listed in football manager games as being a DM who can also play CB.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:14 am

Arsenal Tone wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:

The problem has always been that we've needed a defensive midfielder. Someone to sit in front of the back four and play as a third centre back. Xhaka is not a defensive midfielder. He has size and aggression, he is built like a DM, but he isn't one. Same with Partey, same with Sambi.

Maybe if we had a proper DM we could play a midfield three with Odegaard and Smith Rowe sitting in front of him. We need someone who is listed in football manager games as being a DM who can also play CB.

Why not just play three CBs?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby #ST » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:33 am

Salibatelli wrote:Should have been sent off at 3-0 today and the winning goal against Everton was because he didn’t make a tackle and was out of position .

He’s hopeless, get rid.

Completely agree. If that one was made against OUR player everyone would be up in arms, as we should.

Clear red card. Only intention he had was hurting his opponent.

Filthy player. Would suit Spuds or Chelsea much more with how disgusting he is as a person.

f**k Xhaka and f**k all the managers that give or gave him play time.
Wembley:
Community Shield @6-8-'23 = 1*-1 Manchester City

Emirates Stadium:
First game @10-9-'11 = 1 - 0 Swansea
Most memorable game @24-2-'22 = 2 - 1 Wolves
Last game @14-04-'24 = 0 - 2 Aston Villa
Next game @4-05-'24 = VS Bournemouth [ No ticket yet ]
#ST
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner

Postby #ST » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:34 am

Jedi wrote:

He’s hopeless, get rid.

never a red

LOL wat
Wembley:

Emirates Stadium:
#ST

Postby #ST » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:41 am

swipe right wrote:To be fair, he hasn’t put a foot wrong since his return. Even Partey looks better next to him. Maybe there is some hope.

Highly disagree.
Wembley:

Emirates Stadium:
#ST

Postby theHotHead » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:17 am

Arsenal Tone wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:

We have a proper DM ...... Lucas Torreira ! A perfectly good DM for the level we need to be at, dogged, determined, gets about, keeps it simple, he is EXACTLY what we need next to Partey.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:30 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:

We have a proper DM ...... Lucas Torreira ! A perfectly good DM for the level we need to be at, dogged, determined, gets about, keeps it simple, he is EXACTLY what we need next to Partey.

Oh not that Torreira thing again - come on HH, he is just OK. I really didn't see him do that much to suggest he is an answer to our DM needs.
He's hardly Kante level is he? PL player, sure, but top 4? Not really. I'd also question whether he has the right attitude. Didn't he stay in Spain when he was supposed to be back for pre season? Any sign, even a whisper, of the wrong attitude and we should be getting a player out of the club.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:09 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:

Won't be a popular opinion but I think Torreira and Xhaka was the best CM pairing we've had since Gilberto and Vieira :hiding:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:20 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:

Oh not that Torreira thing again - come on HH, he is just OK. I really didn't see him do that much to suggest he is an answer to our DM needs.
He's hardly Kante level is he? PL player, sure, but top 4? Not really. I'd also question whether he has the right attitude. Didn't he stay in Spain when he was supposed to be back for pre season? Any sign, even a whisper, of the wrong attitude and we should be getting a player out of the club.

I questioned his character when he was crying his eyes out after that loss, but, that aside, I saw enough in his first season to suggest that, as a screen for the defence he would be absolutely fine. He doesn't have to be Kante level, he needs to be what David Batty was for Leeds, an 'orrible little bastard. He just needs to protect the defence and let the other midfielders focus on their game.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to World Football