Granit Xhaka

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Granit Xhaka (34)

Postby Goonerz » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:59 pm

We let Wilshere go and keep this guy? Smh
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:37 pm

Goonerz wrote:We let Wilshere go and keep this guy? Smh

Right?

Both need to be fvcked off.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:19 am

Honestly ........... does this guy even have a place in the squad anymore?

I'd love to see who he bumps to make 1st team, I'd rather Gendouzi at this rate.

We have Ramsey, Torriea, Gendouzi, Elneny, Ozil for the 3 mid spots

Who does Xhaka push out?

The mans going to really have to up his game this season for me to root for him starting.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:03 pm

Gendouzi ?!! Rather Elneny, Elneny is obsolete now.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:35 pm

theHotHead wrote:Gendouzi ?!! Rather Elneny, Elneny is obsolete now.

That makes no sense mate? I'm saying I'd rather Gendouzi over Xhaka?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:41 pm

Gendouzi looks exciting, but still too early. We could see real soon if he does deserve to take someones place or not. We have a crowded midfield and with the new manager/system/tactics, I think each player deserves a fair shot to impress. The competition in midfield alone will be interesting to watch.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:53 pm

StLGooner wrote:Gendouzi looks exciting, but still too early. We could see real soon if he does deserve to take someones place or not. We have a crowded midfield and with the new manager/system/tactics, I think each player deserves a fair shot to impress. The competition in midfield alone will be interesting to watch.

Agreed.

Whilst we are a little over stocked in midfield, it may be no bad thing when considering our injury record. When we have lost the likes of Santi, Tomas, Ramsey or Le Coq at crucial times of the season, the wheels have simply fallen off of our challenge for honours and we have suffered badly. Prior to Mkhitaryan getting injured we had genuine and tangible momentum towards winning the Europa league. We can even go back to when the likes of Cesc and Nasri got injured and our challenges subsequently faltered because we didn't have similar quality to replace them with even on a temporary basis.

It is with this in mind why I would hesitate to just bin the likes of Xhaka and Elneny, who where effectively victims of being metaphorical sticking plasters (band aids to you yanks) as opposed to the sutures required for our gapping wound. Rather them than the likes of a Willock or Nelson being unduly relied upon and stifled by the pressure to instantly produce, a la Iwobi. Equally, I don't want to see the promise of Gendouzi being curtailed or burned out by too much too soon syndrome.

The good thing is that none of our midfield cluster are like clones of one another, which should lend itself to greater variations and compatibility. It is with this in mind that the purchase of Torriera may bring about an upturn in the fortunes of Elneny and Xhaka in particular, as his game should compliment and enhance both. Given the continued interest in Nzonzi, I'm inclined to think that if that transfer is unsuccessful along with a viable alternative, then the Egyptian would be the closest similar player in style. However, with the left peg his mate has to provide quick counter attacks from deep and artillery strikes at goal, I think scope remains for both to play effective, positive role's in the squad.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Santi » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:05 pm

We have 3 midfield spots depending on formation but let's assume 3.

Ramsey
Xhaka
Torreira
Elneny
Guendouzi

We're not overstocked at all, 1 is a kid, albeit he looks promising and the other 4 are therefore fighting for 3 spots, despite their questionable quality.

Bang a top class new CM in and then we have a good set of midfielders.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby arsenalpan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:21 pm

Santi wrote:We have 3 midfield spots depending on formation but let's assume 3.

Ramsey
Xhaka
Torreira
Elneny
Guendouzi

We're not overstocked at all, 1 is a kid, albeit he looks promising and the other 4 are therefore fighting for 3 spots, despite their questionable quality.

Just 2 spots. Not 3. And torreira will take 1. Only 1 left. Xhaka is the last one in the lineup. And don't forget AMN.
arsenalpan
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:33 pm

Ramsey
Xhaka
Torreira
Elneny
Guendouzi

But one of those spots is an advanced CM so your missing ............

Ozil
Mkhitaryan
AMN

Yes the first two play wide as well but they are Attacking midfielder's not wingers so if Auba and Laca plays, Laca through the middle, Auba on the left then that just leaves Right wing.

So again who gets benched then? Ozil played at CAM against PSG so I don't want to hear "But he plays wide".

Top it off people are calling for us to get a top winger so if that happens ............

I don't care its a good problem to have but I'm still wondering who's going to get the shaft and Xhaka is way down in my pecking order.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Gooner_ESR10 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:38 pm

I dont know how Xhaka is still here, hes terrible and will never be the signing that we all hoped he would be.

Lucas Torreira and Ramsey would be a good pairing. You can guarantee Torreira will be protecting the back four and Ramsey can be a box to box.
Gooner_ESR10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby LMAO » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:55 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

Ramsey
Xhaka
Torreira
Elneny
Guendouzi

Ozil
Mkhitaryan
AMN

Yes the first two play wide as well but they are Attacking midfielder's not wingers so if Auba and Laca plays, Laca through the middle, Auba on the left then that just leaves Right wing.

So again who gets benched then? Ozil played at CAM against PSG so I don't want to hear "But he plays wide".

Top it off people are calling for us to get a top winger so if that happens ............

I don't care its a good problem to have but I'm still wondering who's going to get the shaft and Xhaka is way down in my pecking order.

Ramsey - Torreira
Mkhi - Ozil - Auba
---------Laca

With Xhaka deputizing Torreira, Elneny backing up Ramsey, and Guendouzi as 5th choice in the pivot for now.

Only problem is that's slow outside of Auba and to a lesser extent, Laca, but this is about CM. As long as Emery demands more discipline from Ramsey, then Ramsey-Torreira isn't the worst pivot in the world.

But yeah, it's good to have options. I feel a lot better about our midfield now than I did a couple seasons ago, even if I still don't have complete faith in the quality.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby thebigbangtheo » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:35 am

LMAO wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Ramsey
Xhaka
Torreira
Elneny
Guendouzi

Ozil
Mkhitaryan
AMN

Ramsey - Torreira
Mkhi - Ozil - Auba
---------Laca

With Xhaka deputizing Torreira, Elneny backing up Ramsey, and Guendouzi as 5th choice in the pivot for now.

Only problem is that's slow outside of Auba and to a lesser extent, Laca, but this is about CM. As long as Emery demands more discipline from Ramsey, then Ramsey-Torreira isn't the worst pivot in the world.

But yeah, it's good to have options. I feel a lot better about our midfield now than I did a couple seasons ago, even if I still don't have complete faith in the quality.

Not quite the only problem. You have Xhaka deputising for Torriera and in the event of him being injured (just touched every bit of wood in the room) we would have the exact same midfield we had last year and we know that was a problem.

That is why I think that the pursuit of another defensive midfielder is genuine in recognising the need for two such players in the squad regards injury, form and tactics.

If a pacy winger is coming in this window then I would expect him to be someone who plays from the left as a direct replacement for Sanchez (or should I say the position he played) from last year's team.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby yadunoe » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:11 am

Sell Ramsey plus 50 m get in dembele n buy soyuncu . AMN SSB are good enough to play next year
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby arsenalpan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:19 am

I would like a new pair of cm/dm
Sell both Ramsey and xhaka.
arsenalpan
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to World Football