Granit Xhaka

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Granit Xhaka (34)

Postby theHotHead » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:21 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:This revisionist history is hilarious.

We play a crap game because of stormy weather which doesn't suit our death by a million passes game and all of a sudden everyone is hailing Xhaka the man every member of this forum bar two people have been calling to be rid of for well over a season.

He misses one game and he's Jesus Christ our lord and saviour?

Do me a favour, he'll be back getting red cards, slowing up our play etc soon then we'll be back to square one.

:rofll:

Innit !!

Its like 5 years of Xhaka have been wiped from people's memories LOL
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:22 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:This revisionist history is hilarious.

We play a crap game because of stormy weather which doesn't suit our death by a million passes game and all of a sudden everyone is hailing Xhaka the man every member of this forum bar two people have been calling to be rid of for well over a season.

He misses one game and he's Jesus Christ our lord and saviour?

Do me a favour, he'll be back getting red cards, slowing up our play etc soon then we'll be back to square one.

He'll also be back getting robbed of possession in dangerous areas because he's too slow - which he did again in the Spurs game by the way.
We remember the time he protected the ball well from a bad Ramsdale pass because we went up and scored, but we're less inclined to remember the first-half incident where he almost cost us a goal.

He's a good player 15% of the time , but prone to too many errors, which unfortunately makes him not good enough.

I fixed that for you
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby NovaGB » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:25 pm

I can't tell if on Saturday we missed Xhaka's physicality or that we managed to rescue a point because he wasn't playing and if he was we probably would have conceded, hes that much of a mixed bag.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:59 pm

The problem with Xhaka's physicality is, he is slow and late, which inevitably means endless fouls and yellow cards. Xhaka's physicality is not what we need. Gilberto's physicality - the subtle kind - is preferable. Or Vieira's "in your face kind"
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:01 pm

Jedi wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Santi wrote:So turns out we need this c*** ? Ffs

There's a stat going around that he's started 85% of the league games for us since he joined. That's the most any Arsenal player has played in that time-frame. We've finished 6th, 5th, 8th, and 8th since he's been Arsenal's main man.

It's a myth that we're useless without him. We've never had a sustained period without Xhaka. It doesn't help that we haven't had great managers in the same period either.

Arsenal is simply an inconsistent team with managers who're lucky to be here. It's not surprising that we're looking like the same top-8 side even after spending £150m this summer.

Leicester and Spurs look awful this season, so by default, we have a legit chance to finish in EL places.

We've gone from Cesc and Ozil as our talismanic players to f'kin Granit Xhaka. Ridiculous.

Pointing out our league position while Xhaka's been here is about as productive as saying Ramsdale is bad because he suffered back to back relegations with two different teams.

I don't think anyone claims we can't live without Xhaka or that he would slot in the Invincibles first 11 or something.

As the resident Xhaka defender here, all I'm saying is that he's better than the alternatives in his position, and that there are worse performers in other positions.

Where did I state that he's the sole reason behind our poor performances since he became an undisputed starter?

The facts present itself here. To re-write what I mentioned:

- Xhaka has started 85% of our league games since he signed;
- We've finished 6th, 5th, and 8th twice since he's been the #1 starter here;
- Arsenal have been very inconsistent in that time-frame;
- We haven't had great managers in the same period.

It's a combination of factors. What doesn't help Xhaka is that he's been the face of Arsenal during this period. He starts almost every game in the League. He's not a great player. He has major flaws in his game. He's cost us many points due to his recklessness and physical flaws.

This hasn't been helped by our choice of managers when he's been here.

As for not having better alternatives, that's down to the lack of forethought attributed by Edu and Arteta. Arsenal have spent £225m since Arteta's been here. Not acquiring a well-rounded CM—when that has been a major issue—is down to them. We had a chance to get rid of Xhaka this summer. Roma were willing to buy him. We turned them down and instead offered him an extension and a pay-rise.

He's also not better than players in other positions. In fact, he's our weakest link. He just happens to be the only DLP we have. That's down to this current pair of experts we have.

When a player has been a regular for nearly 5 seasons now; when that said player is lopsided in his elements; when that player is prone to errors and recklessness, it's problematic to find weight in your reasoning.

Xhaka is a good player for a mid-table side. As Liverpool and Spurs have experienced before, there are some players who drag the team down regardless of quality in other positions. They build a glass ceiling. That's Xhaka at Arsenal.

Of course, having a managerial version of Xhaka in the stands makes it far worse.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby NovaGB » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:30 pm

theHotHead wrote:The problem with Xhaka's physicality is, he is slow and late, which inevitably means endless fouls and yellow cards. Xhaka's physicality is not what we need. Gilberto's physicality - the subtle kind - is preferable. Or Vieira's "in your face kind"

Yeah thats true mate.

So far Sambi seems scared of a tackle which is worrying, hes like a 'nicer' version of Guendouzi, hopefully there is more to come from him.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zenith » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:54 pm

NovaGB wrote:
theHotHead wrote:The problem with Xhaka's physicality is, he is slow and late, which inevitably means endless fouls and yellow cards. Xhaka's physicality is not what we need. Gilberto's physicality - the subtle kind - is preferable. Or Vieira's "in your face kind"

Yeah thats true mate.

So far Sambi seems scared of a tackle which is worrying, hes like a 'nicer' version of Guendouzi, hopefully there is more to come from him.

That's not true.

Lokonga averages notably more successful tackles per 90 than both Partey and Xhaka.

Thomas Partey
    1.91 tackles per 90

Granit Xhaka
    2.42 tackles per 90

Albert Sambi Lokonga
    2.93 tackles per 90

In fact, ASL is the most active tackler in our squad.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby NovaGB » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:46 pm

Zenith wrote:
NovaGB wrote:

Yeah thats true mate.

That's not true.

Lokonga averages notably more successful tackles per 90 than both Partey and Xhaka.

Thomas Partey
    1.91 tackles per 90

Granit Xhaka
    2.42 tackles per 90

Albert Sambi Lokonga
    2.93 tackles per 90

Fair enough surely thats standing interceptions though? Haven't seen him get stuck in yet but maybe i missed it on shitty streams
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zenith » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:05 pm

NovaGB wrote:
Zenith wrote:
NovaGB wrote:

Yeah thats true mate.

That's not true.

Thomas Partey
    1.91 tackles per 90

Granit Xhaka
    2.42 tackles per 90

Albert Sambi Lokonga
    2.93 tackles per 90

Fair enough surely thats standing interceptions though? Haven't seen him get stuck in yet but maybe i missed it on shitty streams

Successful standing tackles and sliding tackles per ninety minutes played.

In terms of interceptions the numbers are as follows:

Thomas Partey
    1.91 interceptions per 90

Granit Xhaka
    1.21 interceptions per 90

Albert Sambi Lokonga
    1.71 interceptions per 90

Source: analytics.soccerment.com
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby NovaGB » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:58 pm

Zenith wrote:
NovaGB wrote:
Zenith wrote:
NovaGB wrote:

Yeah thats true mate.

That's not true.

Thomas Partey
    1.91 tackles per 90

Granit Xhaka
    2.42 tackles per 90

Albert Sambi Lokonga
    2.93 tackles per 90

Successful standing tackles and sliding tackles per ninety minutes played.

In terms of interceptions the numbers are as follows:

Thomas Partey
    1.91 interceptions per 90

Granit Xhaka
    1.21 interceptions per 90

Albert Sambi Lokonga
    1.71 interceptions per 90

Source: analytics.soccerment.com

So basically hes done 1 ground tackle a match in every game except one, fair enough i'll pay more attention to him next time, is it wrong to point out though that Brighton had about 20 odd attempts on our goal in that last match and that our midfield was completely overrun for 70% of the match? And he pulled off one sliding tackle and 2 interceptions deployed as a DM? I think they got 1 of those attempts on target but it could have been much worse against a better team.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:46 am

Nova, I habe seen Lokonga make tackles, he commits less fouls than Partey and commits more tackles than Xhaka. Lets remember, its a new league, new club and he has played a handful of games only. I think he is well placed to improve upon his performances. I honestly don't have any doubts that he will become one of our most consistent performers.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby NovaGB » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:31 am

theHotHead wrote:Nova, I habe seen Lokonga make tackles, he commits less fouls than Partey and commits more tackles than Xhaka. Lets remember, its a new league, new club and he has played a handful of games only. I think he is well placed to improve upon his performances. I honestly don't have any doubts that he will become one of our most consistent performers.

Fair enough, personally i think we should just flog Xhaka in Jan and go in for Franck Kessie
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Jedi » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:08 pm

Jedi wrote:
"Granit Xhaka is the main man in the entire Arsenal midfield, you can’t see it unless I lend you one of my eyes. Without him, Arsenal is lost."

- Jose Mourinho

Let's hope he was wrong and we can cope without him. It will be hard.

Not looking promising after two games.

1st game: Midfield completely destroyed and outfought by Brighton.
2nd game: Partey and Lokonga can't handle the added responsibility and give away the ball for the 2 goals Crystal Palace scored.

That's 2 errors leading to goals in 1 game without him. But "Xhaka bad" because he got 1 red card and 2 errors leading to goals in PL since Arteta took over.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Ach » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:18 pm

Xhaka is awful.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:21 pm

I think his bad juju has spread to Odegaard. Arteta was in his ear all game like he would be w/ Xhaka
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to World Football