Wrighty, Bergkamp or Henry?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Who was the best?

Ian Edward Wright.
17%
Dennis Nicolaas Maria Bergkamp.
40%
Thierry Daniel Henry.
43%

Total votes : 35

Wrighty, Bergkamp or Henry?

Postby Cheese » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:06 am

So we were lucky enough to have these great players grace our club along with a long list of other names aswell but who was our most influential player?

Ian Wright - signed for us in September 1991 for £2.5m, which was at the time a club record fee. He scored on his debut against Leicester City in a League Cup tie, and then scored a hat-trick on his League debut against Southampton.
Wrighty went on to be Arsenals top scorer for six seasons in a row. He played a major part in the our success during the 1990s, winning an FA Cup and League Cup double in 1993; he scored in both the FA Cup final and the final replay. He also helped us reach the 1994 European Cup Winners' Cup final, although he was suspended for the final in which we beat Parma 1-0.
Wrighty was nearly 33 and despite his age, he continued to score regularly, and on September 13, 1997 he broke Cliff Bastin's goalscoring record with a hat-trick against Bolton Wanderers.
He scored a total of 185 goals for us in 279 starts and 9 substitute appearances. His final goal at Highbury came on October 4,

Dennis Bergkamp - signed in June 1995 for just £7.5m. He made his debut against Middlesbrough in August 1995 but had to adapt to the English style of play; it took him eight games before he managed to score his first goal, against Southampton.
His arrival at Arsenal was significant, not only as he was one of the first world-class foreign players to join an English club since the lifting of the Heysel ban in 1990, but also because he was a major contributor to the club's return to success after the stagnation of the mid-1990s. It has been suggested that his signing, in which Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein was the major mover, has been the most significant in our history, helping to attract other top-class players to the club.
He hit his best form for us after the arrival of Arsène Wenger in September 1996. we won a Premiership and FA Cup double in the 1997-98 season (although Bergkamp missed the cup final with an injury).
He scored 121 goals for Arsenal in 424 appearances, and set up a further 166 goals in his Arsenal career. This makes him one of the top three assist makers in Premier League history.

Thierry Henry - signed for us in August 1999 for £10.5 million. Doubts raised about his ability to adapt to the English game when he failed to score in his first ten games were quieted when he ended his first season at Arsenal with a goal tally of 26.
He was again instrumental in Arsenal's successful 2003–04 season. Henry helped ensured that we became the first team in more than a century to go through the entire domestic league campaign unbeaten as Henry collected his second Premiership medal.
On 17 October 2005, he became the club's top goalscorer of all time; two goals against Sparta Prague meant he broke Ian Wright's record of 185 goals. On February 1, 2006, he scored a goal against West Ham, bringing his league goal tally up to 151 and thus breaking Arsenal legend Cliff Bastin's league goals record.

All three players played big parts in our success during the past 15 years or so years, so who was the best?
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: Wrighty, Bergkamp or Henry?

Postby Sims » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:09 am

I'd have to say wrighty, He's just pure greatness.... :trophy:
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby REG » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:35 am

Prob Wrighty but i love them all the same, dam you with this poll
REG
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:47 am

u cant deny thierry henry
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Libertine » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:46 pm

Dennis Bergkamp is, in my opinion, the greatest player ever to wear our shirt.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ScottishLass » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:49 pm

absolutely_fabregas wrote:u cant deny thierry henry

yeh libertine i agree bergkamp was the greatest player ever to grace the red + white.. although...

its impossible for theirry to win a poll like this now because so many arsenal fans basically dont give a fck about him now lol.. i personally would say he was the most influential player arsenal has seen because when we needed a player to come up with 25+ goals almost every season he was there .. wrighty's goals speak for themselves and bergkamps guile + class was second to none but i still feel henry was the most influential...
ScottishLass
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby AFCJosh » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:49 pm

Best player for me would have to be Ian, Not only because of his ability but becasue of his charisma and energy.

In response to ScottishLass's post, I would say Dennis Bergkamp was the most influencial signing in the last few decades by far. He was one of the first big players to sign for us and put our name on the map in bolder letters.

Dennis made Thierry twice the player he was, and without Dennis Thierry suffered.
Dont get me wrong Thierry was and still is an awesome footballer, but Dennis (in my opinon) was far better.

Back to the topic Dennis and Thierry both had more ability than Ian but Ian is Ian and well is there an Arsenal fan that hasnt fallen in love with Ian Wright? And without him in our Boring Boring Arsenal Team we would have struggled to score a goal in most matches hehe.

But yeh
Most Ability - Dennis , then Thierry then Ian
Most Influencial - Dennis then Ian then Thierry
Best - Ian - Dennis - Thierry

Well thats my opinion
AFCJosh
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:14 pm

Without a shadow of a doubt... BERGKAMP!

He may not have the records that Henry & Wright had, he may not have been idolised to the same degree.
But for me Bergkamp beats the lot of them, he was a footballing genius, a great mind, & a player who everyone loved to watch, Arsenal or otherwise.

He also took a PAY CUT to stay with us, and ended his career with us....(although i would have forgiven him if he had retired at Ajax)

To me loyalty means more than records. And Bergkamp showed loyalty unrivalled. He did his talking on the pitch.
Henry himself has even said the greatest player he has ever had the priveledge of playing with was Dennis Bergkamp.

Nuf said...All Hail the Dutch Master! :005:
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby ScottishLass » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:34 pm

She_Gunner_Wales wrote:Without a shadow of a doubt... BERGKAMP!

He may not have the records that Henry & Wright had, he may not have been idolised to the same degree.
But for me Bergkamp beats the lot of them, he was a footballing genius, a great mind, & a player who everyone loved to watch, Arsenal or otherwise.

He also took a PAY CUT to stay with us, and ended his career with us....(although i would have forgiven him if he had retired at Ajax)

To me loyalty means more than records. And Bergkamp showed loyalty unrivalled. He did his talking on the pitch.
Henry himself has even said the greatest player he has ever had the priveledge of playing with was Dennis Bergkamp.

Nuf said...All Hail the Dutch Master! :005:

My wee question here is though.. does loyalty make you the most influential player? Coz i dont think so in my opinion :)
ScottishLass
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby AFCJosh » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:39 pm

ScottishLass wrote:My wee question here is though.. does loyalty make you the most influential player? Coz i dont think so in my opinion :)

No it doesnt, half the time it makes you a ledgend, Ray Parlour, Tony Adams, etc

But Dennis was a massivly influencial player, as ive said before... sry for repeating myself
AFCJosh
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Arsenal_4_Life » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:52 pm

dennis bergkamps always been my favourite player but i have to say i think this goes to henry, scored so many goals for us and was very influentual during the double season and unbeaten season, bergkamp was aswell but henry has scored a lot of goals in those seasons so i vote for him.
Arsenal_4_Life
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby insomnia » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:07 pm

This was not an easy one at all..

I've went for Henry though, many a time he would make something out of nothing, scoring goals in so many important games, some of his trickery i was lost for words..

Absolute amazing player for me.. :trophy:
insomnia
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby ozgooner » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:31 am

damn you all _arsenal_1886 , this was harder to pick than a broken nose . choosin between those magnificent three was a headf&*k . in the end i went for henry ..... by a bees dick over bergkamp . for wrighty to be my last choice is testamount to the pure quality of those 3 arsenal legends ;)

"I started clapping myself , until i realised i was Sunderlands manager" - Peter Reid admires a Dennis Bergkamp finish
ozgooner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Reverend Gooner » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:07 pm

If it was solely for the purpose of winning a match then i would take Thierry but if the purpose was to add someone for the unique class factor then i would take Dennis. Although if i ended up with Wrighty i would still be chuffed to bits :D
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fordy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:15 pm

i think wrighty would add the thing arsenal are missing now , what i mean is skill and flair is not something arsenal are short of which is what bergy or henry bring you give arsenal the fox in the box and i think you would have a pretty good team
Fordy

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk