The positive energy thread

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: The positive energy thread

Postby VCC » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:15 pm

Glad thats over could have played that game for a month and got nothing i am still breathing thankfully
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:59 pm

Every week in the PL at this stage of the season can flip the trajectory and outlook 180.
Let’s win the next game and see where we are.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:08 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Ach wrote:
Ach wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Ach wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Ach wrote:One day closer to the end of Artetas reign
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby VCC » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:39 pm

jayramfootball wrote:Every week in the PL at this stage of the season can flip the trajectory and outlook 180.

Going to have to wait another week and 3 points dropped for that.
Let me know when you have seen enough improvement to want change.
Last edited by VCC on Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:11 pm

I can't speak about beforehand, but since 1977, I haven't ever been aware of Arsenal doing things the easy way even in our moments of triumph and all too fleeting periods of being a dominant footballing force striking fear into opponents and giving need for a mop, bucket and air freshener in the tunnel at Highbury.

When things have all too often looked like a formality, it's been as though the spirit of the club has a properly sadomasochistic sense of humour towards its followers in not only teasing us mercilessly like in the portrayal of an American big brother, but in testing the strength of our loyalty and commitment to the cause also.

As such, my own outlook on where we find ourselves right now is that it's simply part of our make up and DNA that we ought to recognise and be more familiar with, and much less surprised by. We are The Arsenal and this is what we do.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:31 pm

VCC wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Every week in the PL at this stage of the season can flip the trajectory and outlook 180.

Going to have to wait another week and 3 points dropped for that.
Let me know when you have seen enough improvement to want change.

Very happy with the improvements and trajectory.
I really like this team and looking forward to the additions in the summer.
Everything at the club is working well.
Owners, recruitment, management and on field.

Just generally loving the fact we’re in the race for top 4 again and excited about the upward trajectory.
:1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby billie86 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:20 am

We have seen some improvements this season, there have been games where we look a good side, leicester, west ham, City at home, spurs etc and we have put a challenge in for top 4 up to a point.
We have cleared half of the wage bill and will probably clear more in the summer, this leaves us with the base that we have this season and huge potential for numerous signings in the summer.
I'm hopeful we can show some grit for the rest of this season and not just capitulate, if we can do that and then get 6+ signings in the summer as we did last year then next season will be interesting. However this plays out I firmly believe there is no hiding place for arteta next season, which is another positive because up to now there hasn't been much accountability, after another summer window and a top 6 finish this season there has to be more improvement especially if we spend big in the summer which I believe we will.
Part of me believes this season was a write off from the boards point of view and that's why edu said there were no specific objectives, I think the main concern was to clear the dead wood, reduce the wage bill and overhaul the squad, arteta will still be here next season whether he finishes 4th or 8th, at some point however what he's doing will have to produce results.
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:59 pm

billie86 wrote:We have seen some improvements this season, there have been games where we look a good side, leicester, west ham, City at home, spurs etc and we have put a challenge in for top 4 up to a point.
We have cleared half of the wage bill and will probably clear more in the summer, this leaves us with the base that we have this season and huge potential for numerous signings in the summer.
I'm hopeful we can show some grit for the rest of this season and not just capitulate, if we can do that and then get 6+ signings in the summer as we did last year then next season will be interesting. However this plays out I firmly believe there is no hiding place for arteta next season, which is another positive because up to now there hasn't been much accountability, after another summer window and a top 6 finish this season there has to be more improvement especially if we spend big in the summer which I believe we will.
Part of me believes this season was a write off from the boards point of view and that's why edu said there were no specific objectives, I think the main concern was to clear the dead wood, reduce the wage bill and overhaul the squad, arteta will still be here next season whether he finishes 4th or 8th, at some point however what he's doing will have to produce results.

:clap: Easily one of the most sensible posts and overviews on the forum I've come across. Excellent, I doff my cap to you sir (apologies if my gender assumption is incorrect).
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:14 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:
billie86 wrote:We have seen some improvements this season, there have been games where we look a good side, leicester, west ham, City at home, spurs etc and we have put a challenge in for top 4 up to a point.

:clap: Easily one of the most sensible posts and overviews on the forum I've come across. Excellent, I doff my cap to you sir (apologies if my gender assumption is incorrect).

Agreed.
The club pretty much stated directly that we were embarking on a rebuild with younger players and were certainly not targeting top 4 as a minimum assessment in terms of the manager or the new squad.
Arsenal fans have been generally happy this year and can see - as well as understand - the approach.
Next year the pressure from the board will no doubt be higher as they will expect top4

This season has been a positive move in the right direction with an exciting young squad - which we will certainly build on in the summer.

Our levels have risen. We outplayed City and competed well with Liverpool in 2 games this year … outplaying them in the majority of one of those games.

I don’t think we are 6 players off though.
2 starters and we’re done for the first team.
There will need to be more back ups in key positions too.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby billie86 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:26 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words, I find far too many fans are one way or the other but there is definitely middle ground to be found in this situation
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby billie86 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:37 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:

Agreed.
The club pretty much stated directly that we were embarking on a rebuild with younger players and were certainly not targeting top 4 as a minimum assessment in terms of the manager or the new squad.
Arsenal fans have been generally happy this year and can see - as well as understand - the approach.
Next year the pressure from the board will no doubt be higher as they will expect top4

This season has been a positive move in the right direction with an exciting young squad - which we will certainly build on in the summer.

Our levels have risen. We outplayed City and competed well with Liverpool in 2 games this year … outplaying them in the majority of one of those games.

Jay in regards to the signings what 2 first team positions do you think we need? I'm assuming striker is one.
In regards to back ups/starters after the recent events I firmly believe any "back ups" we buy should be on a par with what we have at least, they should be challenging starters, for example in central midfield with xhaka and Partey we should have a bissouma and a neves to be able to rotate so if Partey gets injured there isn't a massive drop in quality. The last 2 seasons have been curtailed by injuries in key positions (mainly Tierney at left back) and the back up hasn't been adequate, we need better quality back ups especially if we are in Europe.
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Zenith » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:32 am

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:39 am

billie86 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:

Agreed.

Jay in regards to the signings what 2 first team positions do you think we need? I'm assuming striker is one.
In regards to back ups/starters after the recent events I firmly believe any "back ups" we buy should be on a par with what we have at least, they should be challenging starters, for example in central midfield with xhaka and Partey we should have a bissouma and a neves to be able to rotate so if Partey gets injured there isn't a massive drop in quality. The last 2 seasons have been curtailed by injuries in key positions (mainly Tierney at left back) and the back up hasn't been adequate, we need better quality back ups especially if we are in Europe.

Striker and CM, Billie.
I must say though if Xhaka continues playing as he is we may not need a CM starter.
As for back up players, as good as we can realistically get.
Getting players in the same level as the starters? Great if we can but carrying that kind of squad can be challenging.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby alexafc12 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:38 am

4 wins and 2 draws from the last 6 games gets us top 4
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zenith » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:50 pm

Even more impressive if we consider the fact that ESR and Saka are Hale End Graduates graduates, whereas Ronaldo and Rooney, as well as Kewell and Bridges, were purchases.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk