The positive energy thread

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: The positive energy thread

Postby Angelito » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:23 pm

raaf wrote:We can say for sure now that it wasnt the players.

5 wenger era players in that team, the same players who apparently let wenger and emery down as well.

5 Wenger era players in our best performance this season. The most fielded by Arteta since he's been here. Bella, Holding, Xhaka, Elneny, Lacazette.

Would have been 6 if Auba were match fit.

2 academy products who have been here since Wenger's time—Saka and ESR.

3 Emery era players in Leno, Tierney, and Martinelli.

1 Arteta player there: Mari.

We won 3-1.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Jedi » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:13 pm

Angelito wrote:
Fran Solo wrote:It is amazlng that we beat Chelsea with this very cheap starting lineup. No Willian, Luiz, Aubameyang, Pepe, Ozil, Gabriel, Mustafi, Sokratis, Partey, Kolasinac and so on.

bUt wE hAvE thE wORst sqUad

But we do. That's why It's an achievement.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Santi » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:56 am

Angelito wrote:
Fran Solo wrote:It is amazlng that we beat Chelsea with this very cheap starting lineup. No Willian, Luiz, Aubameyang, Pepe, Ozil, Gabriel, Mustafi, Sokratis, Partey, Kolasinac and so on.

How many times do we have to say, we know full well what this squad is capable of at it's best. As I said before, it's comfortably 4th/5th best in the league on paper and when they perform.

Consistency and attitude is what drags them down to about 10th best. Do you guys think we should sell Aubameyang and Partey btw? Since we won 1 game without them then I guess we don't need them at all right?

:naughty:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:57 am

Playing like dog shit after the United win and before the Chelsea win to make Ole and Frank look like the frauds they are

Elite management from Don Mikel
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:42 pm

Santi wrote:
Angelito wrote:

How many times do we have to say, we know full well what this squad is capable of at it's best. As I said before, it's comfortably 4th/5th best in the league on paper and when they perform.

Consistency and attitude is what drags them down to about 10th best. Do you guys think we should sell Aubameyang and Partey btw? Since we won 1 game without them then I guess we don't need them at all right?

:naughty:

Santi darling, you haven't said that. But it's been implied countless times here that we have an appalling squad, which is why we suck.

As you've said, this is a top-6 squad. Others like me hold the same opinion. Both of us went overboard in the summer, didn't we? We actually believed Arteta might be amongst the top-4 best managers in the league.

It hasn't turned out that way. I don't understand why Mikel is the antithesis of Wenger and Pep. Never would I have imagined that. At this stage, he looks like a chemical son of Jose post-Inter and Emery at Arsenal.

The squad, as it is, is good enough for top-6 under a good manager. I'd argue that it's worthy of top-4 nomination under someone like Klopp or Simeone. Arteta hasn't helped himself with all the buffoonery in player management.

The greatest managers of all time—the likes of Wenger and SAF—were brilliant man managers. Unlike Wenger and Wengerball, SAF doesn't even have a philosophy dedicated to him. Yet, he's the most successful manager of all time.

We shouldn't sell Auba and Partey. But we've seen how Martinelli's return has rejuvenated this side. He's still a kid. Arteta was happy with his preferred players. That line-up against Chelsea was enforced on him.

We have similar talented players in Ozil, Guendouzi, Torreira, Saliba, and Sokratis that he ditched. Some of those players mayn't be as good as they were. Some, like 'Douzi, might simply need more guidance. A Torreira would be a good player off the bench.

My opinion is that the squad isn't the issue. You believe that. That's what I'm saying. I simply don't believe that we need 73920 players to play decent football.

My expectation is no longer top-4 that you and I, and so many of us, took for granted under Wenger. My expectations—under Mikel—is good football, a top-6 finish.

I was amongst the first people who wanted Arteta here (hi Simmy!)—over Carlo, Jose, and the likes—but I won't be fixated on it if he can't get this bunch to perform.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:03 am

Angelito, just to correct a point you made. Wenger got top 4 only because there were no better teams than us, none that were competitive. As soon as it was no longer just Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea competing, Wenger flopped.

The addition of Spurs, Man City and Liverpool killed top 4 for us, it wasnt some magic Wenger was doing that kept us there.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:47 am

theHotHead wrote:Angelito, just to correct a point you made. Wenger got top 4 only because there were no better teams than us, none that were competitive. As soon as it was no longer just Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea competing, Wenger flopped.

The addition of Spurs, Man City and Liverpool killed top 4 for us, it wasnt some magic Wenger was doing that kept us there.

Oh please. United under Fergie and Chelsea under Mou were a million times better than this shower of shit. They had nailed down 2/4 spots. That’s no longer the case. If you haven’t noticed they are managed by Ole and Fat Frank. Liverpool were always a force despite not winning the league. They made two CL finals and one won in the intervening period. There were plenty of teams along the way to compete for positions 4-6. Then you had the shit housery teams like Brum, West Brom, Sunderland etc who lived to take points of us. If you ask me the league is a lot easier today.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:00 am

You're tripping bro. Agreed Liverpool were always there or thereabouts but that's the 4th team.

Then Man City stepped up, then Spurs stepped up. We have not qualified for the CL since the 2016 season - coincides with Spurs stepping up and Liverpool being more consistent.

Our CL qualification matches the number of teams better than us, it has nothing to do with Wenger being special.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:37 am

theHotHead wrote:You're tripping bro. Agreed Liverpool were always there or thereabouts but that's the 4th team.

Then Man City stepped up, then Spurs stepped up. We have not qualified for the CL since the 2016 season - coincides with Spurs stepping up and Liverpool being more consistent.

Our CL qualification matches the number of teams better than us, it has nothing to do with Wenger being special.

Spurs stepped up how? No where in sight of a trophy. There are only two teams at any given point competing for the title. Lately it’s City and Liverpool. Top four is as open as it’s ever been.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Nuggets » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:02 am

I am positive we still need a new manager.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby swipe right » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:25 am

Gabriel’s positive
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:41 pm

swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:You're tripping bro. Agreed Liverpool were always there or thereabouts but that's the 4th team.

Spurs stepped up how? No where in sight of a trophy. There are only two teams at any given point competing for the title. Lately it’s City and Liverpool. Top four is as open as it’s ever been.

Swipey, I am talking about CL qualification. My argument is that there was no special ability of Wenger to get us to qualify, when we qualified there were only 3 or 4 regulars who would occupy those spots, Arsenal being one of them. When Man City and Spurs stepped up we dropped out of the top 4 and have been battling for scraps ever since.

It wasn't like there were 5 or 6 CL clubs Wenger was battling with for qualification.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:40 pm

theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:

Swipey, I am talking about CL qualification. My argument is that there was no special ability of Wenger to get us to qualify, when we qualified there were only 3 or 4 regulars who would occupy those spots, Arsenal being one of them. When Man City and Spurs stepped up we dropped out of the top 4 and have been battling for scraps ever since.

It wasn't like there were 5 or 6 CL clubs Wenger was battling with for qualification.

There were always a handful of clubs and 2-3 nailed down clubs like United and Chelsea. Getting top four 20 years running is a ridiculous situation that will not be repeated any time soon. I think Arsenal fans underestimate how good Wenger really was. The frustration of his latter years has clouded people’s judgement of his entire career at Arsenal.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:36 pm

swipe right wrote:Gabriel’s positive

:rofll:

Shouldn’t laugh but this was good
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:03 pm

clearer and clearer with every game which players are fighting for this club.

makes it easier to ship out the shit.
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk