Per Mertesacker, Academy Manager

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Per Mertesacker (4)

Postby theHotHead » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:10 am

Losmeister wrote:
theHotHead wrote:And yet after the FA Cup final people were saying Per was the answer to our problems in a back 3.

Per is too slow, everyone can have a blinding game now and then. The problem with Per is he is inconsistent and when you have 8 inconsistent players in a team they can look like Brazil '82 one minute and Finsbury Park FC the next!

did anybody actually write/say that? about him being the sol'n?

I paraphrased but you can get the gist of it here: https://www.goonersworld.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20411&start=645
Even I said based on that performance he could have a part to play this season.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Mike Dean » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:33 am

Angelito wrote:Per wanted to retire after the FA Cup win. Wenger urged him to carry on for a season.

Let's not blame Per here. He's one of the smartest players to have played under Wenger at Arsenal. It's not his fault that his boss is aesthetically blind.

The funny thing is that Wenger sold Gab and also wanted to send Mustafi out in loan because he thought he could depend on Per and Kos all season long after that FA cup performance.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby PairyGrows » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:05 am

Mike Dean wrote:
Angelito wrote:Per wanted to retire after the FA Cup win. Wenger urged him to carry on for a season.

Let's not blame Per here. He's one of the smartest players to have played under Wenger at Arsenal. It's not his fault that his boss is aesthetically blind.

The funny thing is that Wenger sold Gab and also wanted to send Mustafi out in loan because he thought he could depend on Per and Kos all season long after that FA cup performance.

If that's true, I've been way too optimistic about Wenger's qualities as a manager.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Nuggets » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:20 pm

Cripps wrote:Love the guy and has been awesome for us but all good things come to an end.

Hope he has a trophy to pick up in his last game

Best captain since Vieira

:rofll: :rofll:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby thebigbangtheo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:21 am

As far as I can recollect, the plan was not for him to be a first team starter again but a back up squad player with only a realistic but limited option of some games in the league cup and Europa league games but not ahead of Holding (at the time we had kos, mussi and gab as our primary central defenders) or either of the first team centre half's if they didn't play in the preceding premier league game or an outstanding prospect coming through. That last bit hasn't happened (haven't written off Callum chambers just yet but all of his best games I've seen were for Middlesbrough and once again gave a glimpse of the potential on offer and why he was worth the effort and £16M) and we went and sold Gabriel whilst Holding's displays have been a bit erratic to say the least, so that's why Mert is much closer to the 1st team than was ever intended.

I am not an advocate of the three@the back system and especially the way we implement it, but yes I would have Mertesacker in it. The ideal to me would have been to have Kos on the left of the 3 as he is so accustomed to that side, Gab on the right as when on form his game would almost mirror koscielny's, with mert in the center, but not as a fulcrum or pivot as the role is often played now but the old catanatchio (excuse my spelling) style the Italian's implemented, so more of a sweeper role directing his defenders in front of him to the danger before it happens (which includes the full backs into the wider areas) allowing him to sweep up any second balls, get the ball into the defensive midfielder and deep playmaker in order to build play when permissible as well as carry the ball forward when the flanking centre half's have dropped back in order to affect an overload.
In this fashion the most tasking things he should have to deal with are aerial balls into the box which again should prove food and drink to him. Libiero I believe is the term, funnily enough a German by the name of Beckenbaur is often hailed as the best exponent of this position but for me Franco Barasi was the man.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:06 pm

I know he's past it, and has no role on the pitch now.

However, I remember when he was blamed for every counter because of his lack of pace. We're even more vulnerable to pace now, despite having a much pacier back four, or even a back 5. Guess what, he was the only CB we had who could organise and position our defence. Koscielny has been noticeably worse since he no longer has Per to guide him.
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:14 pm

GoonerAlexandre wrote:I know he's past it, and has no role on the pitch now.

However, I remember when he was blamed for every counter because of his lack of pace. We're even more vulnerable to pace now, despite having a much pacier back four, or even a back 5. Guess what, he was the only CB we had who could organise and position our defence. Koscielny has been noticeably worse since he no longer has Per to guide him.

I remember being slated for saying that at the time too
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:56 pm

f***ing atrocious against championship quality

just retire
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:20 pm

Mesüt wrote:f***ing atrocious against championship quality

just retire

He wanted to before Wenger urged him to continue for a year.

#Wengered
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Nuggets » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:21 pm

Angelito wrote:
Mesüt wrote:f***ing atrocious against championship quality

just retire

He wanted to before Wenger urged him to continue for a year.

#Wengered

Thats how desperate we have become.
Nuggets

Postby coach8smallball » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:42 pm

all hail the Grinch with his masterful decisions to keep Mertz
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby greengoonerie » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:53 pm

Don't forget this guy will be COACHING next season. :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby coach8smallball » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:56 pm

greengoonerie wrote:Don't forget this guy will be COACHING next season. :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

don't mind him coaching, but just as long as he's far away for our 1st team.
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:55 pm

Felt sorry for him today.

If we have to play him then atleast play him in a 3 man defence. It's just idiotic to play him in a two man defence especially against a young, hungry striker.
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:22 pm

I will be haunted by that weak toe he stuck out in front of the Forest forward who simply blazed past him and won the Debuchy penalty.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk