Joel Campbell

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Joel Campbell (28)

Postby Pudpop » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:41 pm

NNN wrote:Campbell is going to do well and someone will try to purchase him in the summer only for Wenger to keep him and bench him for another year and see him leave on a free.

Never. Wenger will never let a player worth money leave free
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby KG3 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:53 pm

Pudpop wrote:
NNN wrote:Campbell is going to do well and someone will try to purchase him in the summer only for Wenger to keep him and bench him for another year and see him leave on a free.

Never. Wenger will never let a player worth money leave free

Campbell 2006, Pires 2006, Flamini 2008
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby wittyfutty » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:30 pm

Angelito wrote:
arsenalpan wrote:
Callum wrote:I don't know why we don't just sell Campbell rather than persisting with all of these loan moves. Wenger clearly doesn't rate him and he's wasting his career by keeping him on the books. Sell him to a club who'll appreciate him.

Yes. I think the reason Wenger keeps him is because he has to buy a new player if he sells Campbell as all our players who can play RW are injury prone. So he will have to use Campbell when OX, Walcott, Ramsey and Wilshere are all unavailable. It's hard to find a cheap RW player who is willing to be the 3rd choice and is of the same level as Campbell. I think Wenger is trying hard to prove his English project is right. That's why he keeps playing those English players as much as possible. Remember he mentioned Holding is English after saturday's game? Yes, Holding was not not bad in that game but whats the point to say he is English.

I hope that's not true, even if it appears to be closer to the truth.

I can't understand how Wenger insists in giving a free pass to Walcott, Chamberlain, Chambers, et. al. Chambers, ideally, goes out on loan. Chamberlain does the same. We keep Campbell and he fights with other players for the right-wing spot.

If the allegation is true, I can't understand how Wenger - all of a sudden - develops this nationalist sentiment to help the English national team. 20 years in a country - a high-profile stay moreover - does make you love the country and the culture as much as your own, but this is a competitive sport. If he wants to serve the English game, why doesn't he become the manager of the English national team, or take up a role in the FA?

Campbell - for better or worse - is our second best winger. It's not saying much because he's not top quality. But it says as much about our state.

As far as wingers go, it's Alexis >>>>> Campbell >> Iwobi >> Chamberlain >>>>>>>>>>> Theo.

agree, with one small exception!

Alexis >>>>>> Campbell >> Iwobi >> Chamberlain >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Theo
It's all about football
wittyfutty
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby ESFSAFC » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:44 pm

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/09lq.mp4

Played 20 minutes in a 2-1 win over Porto and impressed.
ESFSAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Dejan » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:12 pm

tekkers
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby KG3 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:10 am

Man like Joel looks like he's got a team and manager that'll appreciate him, good for him doesn't delve to play behind Walcott, Chamberlain and Iwobi even though I rate him.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby mel4 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:30 am

Why Iwobi is better than Campbell based on recent form:

- Campbell for some reason always seems to fall down or go to the ground easily. This even happens under no pressure.
- Iwobi has a better first touch and can always get out of tight angles
- Iwobi is better at cutting through the middle from the flanks without losing the ball
- When given same run of games, Iwobi was more consistent. Campbell is good today, meh tomorrow.

I like Campbell but if you really can't claim your position in a season that:
- Nacho obviously displaced Gibbs
- Calamity Gabriel even got games ahead of SLOW-Secker!
- Santi (re)claimed a CM spot displacing Ramsey at the start of the season
- Welbeck displaced Giroud, Giroud displaced Welbeck, Walcott shamed himself at CF
- Ramsey was preferred as wing-Mid-fielder
- Iwobi displaced Theo, Ox, Campbell, Welbeck in the available wing position

.....then really, this is not just a case of preference for Iwobi, something must have been wrong with Campbell's game. How come others were able to claim the above mentioned spots easily?
Claiming your spot in a team is not like a youtube complete season reel of 5 minutes where 4 minutes show all your excellence in one game (e.g. Wilshere against Barca) and the remaining one minute sums up your far and in between flashes of brilliance for the remainder of the season

........ 1 - nil to The Arsenal
mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ESR10 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:29 pm

Joel Campbell believes he should have been given the chance to impress at Arsenal this season, after being dumped out on loan for the FIFTH time in his Gunners career.

The Costa Rica star made 31 appearances in all competitions for the Gunners last term, but the 24-year-old isn't wanted by Arsene Wenger this season.

But after starting none of Arsenal's last 10 games in 2015-16, and only playing a bit-part in pre-season, he has again been overlooked by Wenger.

And much to the player's disappointment, he's not been given the chance to prove himself at the Emirates this term.

"I am at an important step in my career," said Campbell. "[But] there would not have been many chances to play at Arsenal.

"I could have chosen to stay, to have a good salary.

"I think I deserved to play more after what I did last year, but now this is a new stage.

"I want to continue to develop. Sporting are a good opportunity for me and a great team. I am happy with the decision I made."

Source: Daily Mirror

He has every right to be unhappy. Afer playing well for us in times of injury crises, he was pushed down the pecking order behind Ox and Walcott despite being much better. I hope he comes back next year after Wenger (hopefully) leaves to be a part of the squad and play a bigger role.
Last edited by ESR10 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Dubs4Sam » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:36 pm

Wenger trusting the Ox and Walcott ahead of Campbell is a joke. His assist and general play was very good at times. Walcott looks to have something between his teeth but Campbell is a level above the Ox at present.
Dubs4Sam
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby KG3 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:44 pm

Campbell is right, every single Arsenal fan knows it and I'm sure Wenger knows it too, Joel most have done something to piss Wenger off.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Cripps » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:21 pm

That match where Wenger subbing Campbell and Wenger being booed was the end of Campbell cos Wenger is a t**t
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:06 pm

Scored a diving header last night as sporting lisbon beat moreirense 3-0
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:09 pm

Scored a 90th min penalty today as Costa Rica beat russia 4-3