Gael Clichy

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Clichy - I joined City because I want to win things

Postby VCC » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:47 am

interesting manager list, Tony Book had 5 goes what happened this time is he dead :)
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:53 am

Caretaker manager mate
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:16 am

Yorkyblue wrote:Caretaker manager mate

was just looking for a bite :lol: long list all the same and some impressive names :lipssealed:
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Popey » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Clichy reveals Reds snub

Gael Clichy has revealed he snubbed offers from Liverpool and Roma to join Manchester City.

The France international completed his £7million switch from Arsenal this week after signing a four-year contract with the Eastlands club.

The 25-year-old claims he had talks with Liverpool director of football Damien Comolli about a move to Anfield, while Roma also made him an attractive offer to move to Italy.

However, Clichy claims he made the decision to join City as he wants to continue playing in the UEFA Champions League and be competing for trophies.

"With Liverpool contacts have been very serious," Clichy told L'Equipe. "I had phone calls with Damien Comolli, I knew him for a while.

"With Liverpool contacts have been very serious."

"Indeed, there was AS Roma too, with a nice project and an exciting proposition. But I wanted to stay in Premier League.

"I like football here and the state of mind. Moreover, City offered me the opportunity to play again Champions League. I don't know if it will be the case during the next two seasons, but next term I will play in it."

Clichy also refuted suggestions he only joined City for financial reasons.

"Money? I would have earned almost the same at Liverpool. The defenders' wages don't evolve a lot," he added.

"I can understand people believe money has been a key factor. It is not the case.
Ambitious

"Manchester City is a big club, with a big team, an ambitious club which wants to shine in any competition.

"Was I fed up to not win any trophy at Arsenal? No. I don't know if City will win anything, and maybe Arsenal will win the title next term.

"But I believe City has better weapons.

"At Arsenal, the end was frustrating. We were in all competitions until March and after we lost the League Cup final, everything collapsed.

"The Manchester City offer came late, but I didn't think a lot."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 11,00.html

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Gunflash » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:20 am

Unfortunately since Man City won the FA Cup and Arsenal won nothing, Clichy is right to think that his new club has a better chance of winning trophies.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Yorkyblue » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:56 am

Fair comments really.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby JordanTheGunner » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:47 am

Gunflash wrote:Unfortunately since Man City won the FA Cup and Arsenal won nothing, Clichy is right to think that his new club has a better chance of winning trophies.

And they finished above us :?
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby The Goats Horn » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:36 am

Gunflash wrote:Unfortunately since Man City won the FA Cup and Arsenal won nothing, Clichy is right to think that his new club has a better chance of winning trophies.

Unfortunately Gael Clichy was one of the players whose mistakes cost Arsenal on regular occasions,so he surely has to take some blame himself for the lack of silverware at Arsenal in recent years.
The Goats Horn
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Inchpräctice » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:22 pm

"Was I fed up to not win any trophy at Arsenal? No. I don't know if City will win anything, and maybe Arsenal will win the title next term.

"But I believe City has better weapons.

Almost makes my point for me with that comment.
Strange how it contradicts his initial comment in the OP though....
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:49 pm

Jay22 wrote:
The Goats Horn wrote:

Unfortunately Gael Clichy was one of the players whose mistakes cost Arsenal on regular occasions,so he surely has to take some blame himself for the lack of silverware at Arsenal in recent years.

This. It pisses me off when players blame everything but themselves for failure to win trophies.

lol @ Denilson wanting to move on to win trophies
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: Gael Clichy

Postby Zenith » Sun May 14, 2023 2:33 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Previous

Return to World Football