Gael Clichy

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Clichy - I joined City because I want to win things

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
Reverend Gooner wrote:That is a very good reason as City are pretty immense. They have a much better chance than us of success.

If I were to ask you all to make a joint Arsenal and Man City team when this current transfer period is over do you honestly think there will be more Arsenal players in there than City?

As has been said Mancini is also a much better defensive manager than Wenger which will complement his desire to attack.

Why do they have a much better chance? No-one can tell me that yet, and your example of mixing the players doesn't reflect reality because big names and big budgets don't necessarily win you pots.
Look at Real Madrid, a whole team of galacticos and they couldn't win the league whereas Barca have one or two fairly mediocre players in their squad and a bench that doesn't exactly terrify anyone but they win because of their philosophy.
If you mixed the Real and Barca teams most fans would put LOADS of Madrid players in the team but it's meaningless because in reality Barca work better without those players.

I'm not for one minute denying that City have a deeper squad than us and in many areas better players but that's not necessarily related to trophies. It will at some point get them a pot and it did already with the FA Cup but winning the league in the next 4 years, sorry there are too many other great teams standing in their way.
They could easily finish above us next season but will they finish top? I'd be very f***ing surprised.

Well if one squad is "deeper" and has "better players" than another wouldn't that give them a better chance? If you say no, then in theory every team has an equal chance of winning the Prem next year right?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:52 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:
Reverend Gooner wrote:That is a very good reason as City are pretty immense. They have a much better chance than us of success.

If I were to ask you all to make a joint Arsenal and Man City team when this current transfer period is over do you honestly think there will be more Arsenal players in there than City?

As has been said Mancini is also a much better defensive manager than Wenger which will complement his desire to attack.

Why do they have a much better chance? No-one can tell me that yet, and your example of mixing the players doesn't reflect reality because big names and big budgets don't necessarily win you pots.
Look at Real Madrid, a whole team of galacticos and they couldn't win the league whereas Barca have one or two fairly mediocre players in their squad and a bench that doesn't exactly terrify anyone but they win because of their philosophy.
If you mixed the Real and Barca teams most fans would put LOADS of Madrid players in the team but it's meaningless because in reality Barca work better without those players.

I'm not for one minute denying that City have a deeper squad than us and in many areas better players but that's not necessarily related to trophies. It will at some point get them a pot and it did already with the FA Cup but winning the league in the next 4 years, sorry there are too many other great teams standing in their way.
They could easily finish above us next season but will they finish top? I'd be very f***ing surprised.

Well if one squad is "deeper" and has "better players" than another wouldn't that give them a better chance? If you say no, then in theory every team has an equal chance of winning the Prem next year right?

As I said in my post a better squad with deeper players doesn't necessarily mean pots hence the Real/Barca analogy.
What I'm trying to say is, if City have a better chance than us of winning a pot next season then it's better by 5% and that's not enough of an improvement to ACTUALLY win and it's hardly a reason to leave a club.

Maybe this analogy will clarify: Imagine Darren Bent leaves Villa and signs for Spurs (again). If he was quoted as saying "I left because I wanted to win the league" how hard would you laugh?
The point is neither Villa or Spuds have a hope in hell of doing it for another ten years by which time Bent will have retired.
It's an extreme example but you get the point. Joining a club that sits one position higher than you in the league doesn't mean you will suddenly jump up two more places to the top.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:59 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:

As I said in my post a better squad with deeper players doesn't necessarily mean pots hence the Real/Barca analogy.
What I'm trying to say is, if City have a better chance than us of winning a pot next season then it's better by 5% and that's not enough of an improvement to ACTUALLY win and it's hardly a reason to leave a club.

Maybe this analogy will clarify: Imagine Darren Bent leaves Villa and signs for Spurs (again). If he was quoted as saying "I left because I wanted to win the league" how hard would you laugh?
The point is neither Villa or Spuds have a hope in hell of doing it for another ten years by which time Bent will have retired.
It's an extreme example but you get the point. Joining a club that sits one position higher than you in the league doesn't mean you will suddenly jump up two more places to the top.

But I don't think thats what Rev was saying, he isn't saying its a guarantee, nor is Clichy, and maybe that isn't Clichy's only reason. :dontknow:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:05 pm

ChVint22 wrote:But I don't think thats what Rev was saying, he isn't saying its a guarantee, nor is Clichy, and maybe that isn't Clichy's only reason. :dontknow:

That's my whole point. It isn't his only reason because if it was it would be a very crap one.
The real one must be money or something else we don't know about.
The fact that it's not a guarantee is exactly my point. If you aren't guaranteed to increase your chances of winning a pot by going to City then why leave? Unless there's another reason for it....
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:07 pm

Man City are much more likely to win silverware than us in the near future. Look at last season, look at which team is improving their squad. We'll be lucky to make top four next season and Gael knows it!!!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:08 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:Man City are much more likely to win silverware than us in the near future. Look at last season, look at which team is improving their squad. We'll be lucky to make top four next season and Gael knows it!!!

Easy comment to make. Be specific. Which pot will they win, when will they win it and why?
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:09 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:But I don't think thats what Rev was saying, he isn't saying its a guarantee, nor is Clichy, and maybe that isn't Clichy's only reason. :dontknow:

That's my whole point. It isn't his only reason because if it was it would be a very crap one.
The fact that it's not a guarantee is exactly my point. If you aren't guaranteed to increase your chances of winning a pot by going to City then why leave? Unless there's another reason for it....

I personally think something else is going on in the locker room.

But the reason why I responded to you was to answer your question. "Why do they have a much better chance?" Although I kind of answered that with two more questions. But I think the fact that the way football is structured and that they have way more money to spend then us gives them a better chance right off the bat. Whether they use that advantage in the best way is up to them. So far they are doing good though imo.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:10 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
Plymouth Gooner wrote:Man City are much more likely to win silverware than us in the near future. Look at last season, look at which team is improving their squad. We'll be lucky to make top four next season and Gael knows it!!!

Easy comment to make. Be specific. Which pot will they win, when will they win it and why?

Inch, you're taking everything so literally. He didn't say they WOULD win, he said they are much more likely.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby golfinguy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:13 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:

I personally think something else is going on in the locker room.

x2

Been on about it since it seemed Clichy was on his way. A season or two ago you could not find a more loyal Arsenal player than Clichy, now he's off - wtf.
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:17 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:

Inch, you're taking everything so literally. He didn't say they WOULD win, he said they are much more likely.

Yeah and I disagree with that, hence the last 20 posts.
People seem to be jumping to the conclusion that because City appear to have a better squad than us and because they have 1000 times more money that they are much more likely to win the league but coming second or third is still NOT winning.
Do you get me?
They could finish 3 places above us next season but if they don't win anything they're no more likely than us. If you've lost the race you've lost it doesn't matter where you've come in this case.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:

People seem to be jumping to the conclusion that because City appear to have a better squad than us and because they have 1000 times more money that they are much more likely to win the league but coming second or third is still NOT winning.
Do you get me?
They could finish 3 places above us next season but if they don't win anything they're no more likely than us. If you've lost the race you've lost it doesn't matter where you've come in this case.

So therefore you're saying that everyone has the same chance. Then really, its just a play on words to say that one team has a better chance than the other, and these last few post are really irrelevant, because you're saying the same thing, but giving it a different meaning.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:27 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:

Do you get me?

So you are saying that a team who finished above us last season and won a trophy last season and is improving their squad much more than ours this summer is no more likely to win a trophy than us next season? Really? :doh:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:33 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:

Do you get me?

So therefore you're saying that everyone has the same chance. Then really, its just a play on words to say that one team has a better chance than the other, and these last few post are really irrelevant, because you're saying the same thing, but giving it a different meaning.

You've confused me now.
:dizzy:
I'm saying that moving from a team in 4th to a team in 3rd doesn't change your chances of winning that league very much.
4th to 1st definitely, 4th to second maybe but 4th to 3rd not really.

Plymouth Gooner wrote:So you are saying that a team who finished above us last season and won a trophy last season and is improving their squad much more than ours this summer is no more likely to win a trophy than us next season? Really? :doh:

Yes.
And you don't know what will happen this summer yet.

Like I said on the first page of this thread:

As I pointed out in the other Clichy thread if he left to win things he could end up humiliated.
He's 25 now and as a pacy LB I can't see him going beyond 29 so he only has 4 years to win a pot. Let's be realistic City aint gonna win the CL in the next 4 years. They're very unlikely to win the Prem in that time as well so that only leaves the FA Cup and a) he's already won that and b) City have just won it so not likely to win it again straight away.

I'm not saying he was more likely to win pots with us I'm just saying he isn't much more likely to win with them.
So I guess it must've just been some other reason.....
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby GunnGunn » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:45 pm

You are being very naive by assuming that Clichy will just cease to be a top footballer at 29, very naive.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby gzagee » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:50 pm

I'd be prepared to wager a bet that says he won't be first choice there in four years' time.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

PreviousNext

Return to World Football