Gael Clichy

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Clichy - I joined City because I want to win things

Postby ProudGooner » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:08 am

GunnGunn wrote:^

You lot keep believing that. They already have one of the best defences in the league, give Mancini another full season and they will progress even more.

They have a MUCH better chance of winning trophies than we do.

agree. They are on an upward curve, we are on a downward curve.

I have to admit this that arsenal fans are the most deluded fans in the world (the ones that defend wenger and the club no matter what is going around). They are like comical ali or a man who is standing with bombs going off left right and center and still claims there is peace.

I mean the evidence is all around you yet you still are so f***ing deluded you keep defending these f***ing clowns.
ProudGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Always_a_gooner » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:12 am

The thing is i still dont see man city as a BIG threat to us so like when we play them im not as on edge asif it was manure or chelsea.
And i still feel the motiv behind the move was money..clichy has one season to perorm because if he doesnt mancini will just replace him..I swear they bought a LB just last season :s
Always_a_gooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby GunnGunn » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:17 am

Whether his motive was money or not, he'll be getting a fatter wage packet while still be being in with a better shot of winning trophies than us.

Win-win situation for him.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Step » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:19 am

Inchpractice wrote:
Step wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:
Trina wrote:As posted by a few people on Twitter...

Gael Clichy in 2009: 'I really believe if you are a player who thinks only about money then you could end up at Manchester City,'

Ha ha nice one.

As I pointed out in the other Clichy thread if he left to win things he could end up humiliated.
He's 25 now and as a pacy LB I can't see him going beyond 29 so he only has 4 years to win a pot. Let's be realistic City aint gonna win the CL in the next 4 years. They're very unlikely to win the Prem in that time as well so that only leaves the FA Cup and a) he's already won that and b) City have just won it so not likely to win it again straight away.

I'm not saying he was more likely to win pots with us I'm just saying he isn't much more likely to win with them.
So I guess it must've just been some other reason.....

City are going to be a top 4 club from now on - whether we like how they are going about it - Liverfluke have shown you don't have to be good to win the CL. If they get a good draw and avoid Barca who knows. As for us this might be our last chance to win the CL for several years...

How can anyone avoid Barca?
If you avoid them early on in the competition you'll only meet them in the final because no-one is going to do you a favour and knock them out for you.
Liverfluke didn't have to contend with a team that's the best in the world by a mile.

Chelsea were very close (just a Ref they couldn't beat), Inter Milan did put them out with a team that knew how to defend. If Barca have a bad month with a couple of key injuries then someone could knock them out. It's all conjecture but you have to be in the competition to win it and going forward it looks like City will be
Step
Michael Thomas

Postby Step » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:26 am

Always_a_gooner wrote:The thing is i still dont see man city as a BIG threat to us so like when we play them im not as on edge asif it was manure or chelsea.
And i still feel the motiv behind the move was money..clichy has one season to perorm because if he doesnt mancini will just replace him..I swear they bought a LB just last season :s

Not a threat? Look at the Table - you might find them in 3rd spot. They are a big threat to our ambitions for achieving champions league football each year. Clearly they are not a big threat for the title because we're not trying to win that!
Step
Michael Thomas

Postby Herrpoja » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:37 am

who here can really say that they can see us win the league or champions league this coming year? i can't nor can i see city winning but they have a better chance and they are just getting better each year while we get better for a year then plummeth down again to just finish top 4
Herrpoja
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Popey » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:15 pm

its only a win-win situation if we can remplace him...

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:35 pm

Trina wrote:^^ I thought the same about the winning things. It just doesn't make sense that thats his only reason.

I think there is something else going on at the club, maybe in the locker room.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gzagee » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:39 pm

Clichy... the last invincible.... he only played 12 games and 5 of those were from the bench.
Reyes played about as many games as him, made more of an impact yet I never hear anyone refer to Reyes as an invincible.

He's gone for more money or, to win more silverware or, more than likely to try and bang Kolo's wife...
Whatever the case he's gone.
We can find someone who'll do an adequate job.
And as I said in the rumour thread, don't be surprised if Citeh bench him once someone better than him comes on their radar.

Good riddance.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:16 pm

GunnGunn wrote:^

You lot keep believing that. They already have one of the best defences in the league, give Mancini another full season and they will progress even more.

They have a MUCH better chance of winning trophies than we do.

No way.
Give Mancini another season? You know what these billionaire owners are like, if he doesn't deliver the Prem next season he'll probably be sacked kicking off a huge chain of regular sackings a la Chelscum.
Even if they don't sack him can you realistically see them winning the league in the next four years. Manure and Chavs have a stranglehold on the top two-three places so the best he can ever manage will be second.
As I said before, winning the league means performing at a consistently high level throughout the season.
It's hard to achieve that near-unbeatable chemistry when your players keep changing every season and you have to rotate players simply to satisfy all the egos.

I'm sure they'll win it one day, IF Manure, Chavs and us have a poor season and open the door for them but in the next four years? Seriously doubt it.
Winning the CL in the next four years means qualifying every single year and Liverpool will have something to say about that. They'd also need a LOT of luck e.g. Barca being knocked out by someone else. I just cannot see that happening in such a short time.

Think about it, we've been trying to win the thing for the last 13 years under the same manager who learns a bit more about competing in it each year. During that time there have been seasons where we've certainly had better players than City have now and we haven't managed it.
Yet you're saying Mancini can put together a World class CL-winning squad and win it in the space of four years?
No way.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Maxduke » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

City will win the league within the next 4 years.
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:23 pm

Maxduke wrote:City will win the league within the next 4 years.

How?
Will someone hand it to them on a plate?
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:32 pm

That is a very good reason as City are pretty immense. They have a much better chance than us of success.

If I were to ask you all to make a joint Arsenal and Man City team when this current transfer period is over do you honestly think there will be more Arsenal players in there than City?

As has been said Mancini is also a much better defensive manager than Wenger which will complement his desire to attack.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby JordanTheGunner » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:19 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
Maxduke wrote:City will win the league within the next 4 years.

How?
Will someone hand it to them on a plate?

Wouldn't suprise me if they bought that plate :hiding:
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:29 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:That is a very good reason as City are pretty immense. They have a much better chance than us of success.

If I were to ask you all to make a joint Arsenal and Man City team when this current transfer period is over do you honestly think there will be more Arsenal players in there than City?

As has been said Mancini is also a much better defensive manager than Wenger which will complement his desire to attack.

Why do they have a much better chance? No-one can tell me that yet, and your example of mixing the players doesn't reflect reality because big names and big budgets don't necessarily win you pots.
Look at Real Madrid, a whole team of galacticos and they couldn't win the league whereas Barca have one or two fairly mediocre players in their squad and a bench that doesn't exactly terrify anyone but they win because of their philosophy.
If you mixed the Real and Barca teams most fans would put LOADS of Madrid players in the team but it's meaningless because in reality Barca work better without those players.

I'm not for one minute denying that City have a deeper squad than us and in many areas better players but that's not necessarily related to trophies. It will at some point get them a pot and it did already with the FA Cup but winning the league in the next 4 years, sorry there are too many other great teams standing in their way.
They could easily finish above us next season but will they finish top? I'd be very f***ing surprised.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to World Football