Willian

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: OFFICIAL: Willian joins the Arsenal

Postby Jedi » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:31 am

Tony Adams wrote:I can't see how he gets in the team. Auba LWF, Pepe and Saka rotating LWF, Xhaka and Ceballos CM.

I assume Laca has the central striker role and if he goes he'll be replaced.

Assuming we sign a DM it'd be 4-3-3 with Xhaka and Ceballos either side of the DM. Assuming we don't sign a DM then it has to be 5-2-3 with Xhaka and Ceballos at CM.

Unless he plays CAM in a 4-2-3-1 (we'd have to drop one of xhaka/ceballos for a DM which I can't see Arteta doing)?

The only other thing I can think is that Laca is off and Willian plays as a false9?

It looks like he'll be a squad player rather than a starter.

He walks into the team. On the wings or centrally with Ceballos and Xhaka behind him who provide more than enough defensivd contribution
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Dejan » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:40 am

I doubt willian will be able to cut it in the middle tbh

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:52 am

Will be interesting to see but it’s defo an option we needed regardless of its as a starter or rotation

Liked this move more now in hindsight to when we were first linked even tho I don’t really rate him
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby theHotHead » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:04 am

Jedi wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:I can't see how he gets in the team. Auba LWF, Pepe and Saka rotating LWF, Xhaka and Ceballos CM.

Assuming we sign a DM it'd be 4-3-3 with Xhaka and Ceballos either side of the DM. Assuming we don't sign a DM then it has to be 5-2-3 with Xhaka and Ceballos at CM.

Unless he plays CAM in a 4-2-3-1 (we'd have to drop one of xhaka/ceballos for a DM which I can't see Arteta doing)?

The only other thing I can think is that Laca is off and Willian plays as a false9?

He walks into the team. On the wings or centrally with Ceballos and Xhaka behind him who provide more than enough defensivd contribution

This, one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Who is in front of him lol??? Xhaka? Torreira? Willock? Guendouzi? Ozil? People be smoking crack if they think Willian doesn't walk into the team.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:09 am

theHotHead wrote:
Jedi wrote:

This, one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Who is in front of him lol??? Xhaka? Torreira? Willock? Guendouzi? Ozil? People be smoking crack if they think Willian doesn't walk into the team.
In place of auba? Or pepe/saka?

If he plays centrally then he'll have xhaka and ceballos behind him in a 4-2-3-1 which does it not offer much defensive support.

Even with a back five, does he take xhaka's place next to ceballos or or ceballos' place next to xhaka?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:12 am

I’m hoping that he plays LW which means Auba in the middle

But I’m assuming because we were so poor last season at breaking down teams who sit deep we’re gonna set up way more attacking in them games than the 3atb

Though the 3atb has served us superbly against the bigger sides, our biggest issue was breaking a deep block against the smaller ones
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Angelito » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:13 am

Sims wrote:Will be interesting to see but it’s defo an option we needed regardless of its as a starter or rotation

Liked this move more now in hindsight to when we were first linked even tho I don’t really rate him

His workrate is his best attribute. It doesn't hurt that he can play on the flanks, as a wing back, or as a second striker.

I think part of Bellerin leaving might be because Willian can play as a wing back in a 3-4-3.

Just a very frustrating player. He will seem world class on some days, will be sterile half the time (as an attacking threat).
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby alexafc12 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:31 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw him playing through the middle almost as a false 9. Arteta has talked about this before. Having Pepe & Auba as wide strikers and having the number 9 coming deeper
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Callum » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:50 pm

Ultimately beyond our first choice front three—Pepe, Auba, Laca—we have no attackers with real experience, so the Willian deal makes sense from that aspects. I rate Saka, Martinelli, Nelson and Nketiah but when you need a goal it's nice to be able to turn to your bench and have some experience to call on rather than just young prospects.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:42 pm

I'm not against signing him, great cover and experience. Just saying I can see him being more of a squad player.

Only way I can see that changing is if, as someone said, laca leaves, auba plays up front and willian plays on the right.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:27 am

After watching the training videos on Arsenal.com, Willian was clearly playing / practicing on the RW.

The ball was going from GK to Bellerin, then into Elneny who looked up and lobbed balls up over the top to Willian and Pepe who seemed to be taking it in turns.

Maybe Willian is cover for Pepe while Saka is cover on the LW? that's how it looked in training anyway.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:14 am

@ Tony Adams, it could be we use Willian/Pepe in the right wide position, but I think he will be deployed as a floating attacking midfielder so as one of the 3 in the middle.

Point is, he automatically became our best midfielder, so you play him in his best position, preferably.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:09 am

theHotHead wrote:@ Tony Adams, it could be we use Willian/Pepe in the right wide position, but I think he will be deployed as a floating attacking midfielder so as one of the 3 in the middle.

Point is, he automatically became our best midfielder, so you play him in his best position, preferably.
Will be interesting to see how we line up in the first game
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby themessiah » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:49 pm

Hatrick of assists . Fair play
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Santi » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:49 pm

tbf mkhi did the same in one of his first games for us so lets not get too excited yet ;)
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to World Football