Willian

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Willian Borges da Silva (12)

Postby Santi » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:00 pm

Blasphemy old Ang!
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:02 pm

Anyone mentioned the with Willian we barely did f all creatively for ages before Xmas. Couldn't create or score

With Ozil, we were never that bad

Anyone?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby starmandb » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:25 pm

Ach wrote:Anyone mentioned the with Willian we barely did f all creatively for ages before Xmas. Couldn't create or score

Anyone?

No we weren’t
Willian was average in the 5 league games leading up to Xmas
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:52 pm

Ach wrote:Anyone mentioned the with Willian we barely did f all creatively for ages before Xmas. Couldn't create or score

Anyone?

No we weren’t
Willian was average in the 5 league games leading up to Xmas
starmandb

Postby Jedi » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:22 pm

Angelito wrote:When Ozil wasn't assisting or scoring, he still contributed to our game, he still created chances, he still bossed midfields. But it doesn't matter as long as long as we can go along with our own narratives.

He was doing f**k all. There hasn't been a player in the history of football that's gotten more stick for going invisible than Ozil. To say that he bossed midfields is deeply delusional.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby theHotHead » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:07 pm

starmandb wrote:I don’t care for Ozil of old
He is not here anymore and can no longer help us
I care for Willian of now and as of those minutes of now he has been better than Ozil in the same minutes most recent
The original answer to the original tweet regarding willian having more assists than Ozil in the last 2 years I misunderstood and stated that fact but then on drawing down on the exact most recent minutes it showed Willian in a better light therefore I thought it was an encouraging thing to post from a current Arsenal perspective
Take from it what you will
It was a point of information

Its a pointless point of info! May as well say Pepe was better than Auba for the period where Auba didn't score but Pepe did. Technically its correct but nobody in their right mind would bother to say it because Auba is miles better than Pepe. Shall we highlight Elneny scoring in a game that Auba didn't? Whats the point :dontknow:

Small sample sizes to suit an agenda/argument carry no wait, so why bother with them? Just because Willian is the present and Ozil is the past doesn't mean we should shit all over him for what I see is no reason whatsoever - especially because up to this 3 game run of assists everyone to a man thought Willian had been utterly useless this season.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:28 pm

Jedi wrote:
Angelito wrote:When Ozil wasn't assisting or scoring, he still contributed to our game, he still created chances, he still bossed midfields. But it doesn't matter as long as long as we can go along with our own narratives.

He was doing f**k all. There hasn't been a player in the history of football that's gotten more stick for going invisible than Ozil. To say that he bossed midfields is deeply delusional.

Ozil was always far more than just a player who got assists. yeah, he was one of the greatest of all time in that regard, but his real value was exactly what Angelito is talking about.

I remember the Ozil debate where it was hothead, i think, who talked about pre assists and link play - then got roundly attacked for it.
He was correct, though.
Ozil was a Rolls Royce in midfield. His first touch was world-class. His decision making on when to pass, when to shield it and wait for the pass was world-class. His weight of pass was the second best I have ever seen in my life from an Arsenal player - behind only Dennis Berkamp. Ultra world-class if there is such a thing. His running off the ball to find space was world-class. He rarely lost the ball. He was world-class in all parts of his midfield game save one - tackling (he was awful at that).

Bossing the midfield is not about diving into tackles and fist pumping. Too many fans of our club got wrapped up in the media hype (which is generally anti-Arsenal anyway). I guarantee you that if Ozil had gone to Man Utd instead of Arsenal we'd have never heard about Ozil's 'laziness' or him going 'invisible'. After his first 3 seasons, he'd have been hailed as the worlds best midfielder.

With Ozil, Arsenal fans let themselves down, let the club down and let Ozil down. They'll never admit it, though.

One thing I do find REALLY interesting in these times of social media and general media pervasiveness when it comes to football... there are NO players that the media don't think are good that our fans, in general, think are good. General consensus is formed without reason or fact and fans just seem to parrot the general narrative over and over again. Football journalism is in the toilet - talking intelligently about a players involvement in linking play and intelligent movement doesn't get clicks. Going to extremes gets clicks. that is what our, more often than not, utterly shite football journalists and media pundits do.

It's why smart people all look beyond the general consensus.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Santi » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:29 pm

Forget Ozil now, all we know is Willian is shit.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:34 pm

Santi wrote:Forget Ozil now, all we know is Willian is shit.

To me Willian just looks like a guy who is happy to get his last big payday, happy to have a great London life with his Brazillian mates at the club.
It's not that he is sh*t, it's more that he doesn't really give a f**k.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:00 pm

More importantly, we’re stuck with him as Arteta loves the guy and thus won’t stop playing him.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby starmandb » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:10 pm

theHotHead wrote:
starmandb wrote:I don’t care for Ozil of old
He is not here anymore and can no longer help us
I care for Willian of now and as of those minutes of now he has been better than Ozil in the same minutes most recent
The original answer to the original tweet regarding willian having more assists than Ozil in the last 2 years I misunderstood and stated that fact but then on drawing down on the exact most recent minutes it showed Willian in a better light therefore I thought it was an encouraging thing to post from a current Arsenal perspective
Take from it what you will
It was a point of information

Its a pointless point of info! May as well say Pepe was better than Auba for the period where Auba didn't score but Pepe did. Technically its correct but nobody in their right mind would bother to say it because Auba is miles better than Pepe. Shall we highlight Elneny scoring in a game that Auba didn't? Whats the point :dontknow:

Small sample sizes to suit an agenda/argument carry no wait, so why bother with them? Just because Willian is the present and Ozil is the past doesn't mean we should shit all over him for what I see is no reason whatsoever - especially because up to this 3 game run of assists everyone to a man thought Willian had been utterly useless this season.

I am not shitting over Ozil
I appreciate the good that he did for us
The comparison with today’s Willian was not originally drawn by me
It was done by somebody else comparing the Ozil of today
I will look for positives in current day Arsenal
The internet is filled with negativity
I feel no shame in being positive about good things regarding Arsenal
As I said take it or leave it
I have no personal agenda other than showing Arsenal in a good light
starmandb

Postby Santi » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:21 pm

every time this guy comes on, we turn to shit defensively.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:16 pm

Santi wrote:every time this guy comes on, we turn to shit defensively.

When Willian has come on as sub for us
252 mins
Team has scored 5
Conceded 1
starmandb

Postby Angelito » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:33 pm

Jedi wrote:

If you don't have eyes to see, stats to analyze, all you have is ears to hear bullshit, and a mouth (fingers?) to speak/write bullshit.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby VCC » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:50 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Jedi wrote:

Ozil was always far more than just a player who got assists. yeah, he was one of the greatest of all time in that regard, but his real value was exactly what Angelito is talking about.

I remember the Ozil debate where it was hothead, i think, who talked about pre assists and link play - then got roundly attacked for it.
He was correct, though.
Ozil was a Rolls Royce in midfield. His first touch was world-class. His decision making on when to pass, when to shield it and wait for the pass was world-class. His weight of pass was the second best I have ever seen in my life from an Arsenal player - behind only Dennis Berkamp. Ultra world-class if there is such a thing. His running off the ball to find space was world-class. He rarely lost the ball. He was world-class in all parts of his midfield game save one - tackling (he was awful at that).

Bossing the midfield is not about diving into tackles and fist pumping. Too many fans of our club got wrapped up in the media hype (which is generally anti-Arsenal anyway). I guarantee you that if Ozil had gone to Man Utd instead of Arsenal we'd have never heard about Ozil's 'laziness' or him going 'invisible'. After his first 3 seasons, he'd have been hailed as the worlds best midfielder.

With Ozil, Arsenal fans let themselves down, let the club down and let Ozil down. They'll never admit it, though.

One thing I do find REALLY interesting in these times of social media and general media pervasiveness when it comes to football... there are NO players that the media don't think are good that our fans, in general, think are good. General consensus is formed without reason or fact and fans just seem to parrot the general narrative over and over again. Football journalism is in the toilet - talking intelligently about a players involvement in linking play and intelligent movement doesn't get clicks. Going to extremes gets clicks. that is what our, more often than not, utterly shite football journalists and media pundits do.

It's why smart people all look beyond the general consensus.

100% happy to have let everyone down.
And 100% stand by my opinion of your much loved ozil.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to World Football