Willian

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Willian Borges da Silva (12)

Postby swipe right » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:44 am

Might as well figure out a way to use him. He’s got plenty of experience and quality. Play him off Auba. I gather he has more to offer than Pepe.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby VCC » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:45 am

swipe right wrote:Might as well figure out a way to use him. He’s got plenty of experience and quality. Play him off Auba. I gather he has more to offer than Pepe.

Biggest flaw in that plan is how shite Auba is as a target man to play off
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby swipe right » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:03 am

VCC wrote:
swipe right wrote:Might as well figure out a way to use him. He’s got plenty of experience and quality. Play him off Auba. I gather he has more to offer than Pepe.

Biggest flaw in that plan is how shite Auba is as a target man to play off

The concept of a target man itself is flawed. He has scored more goals from CF than any other position in his career. What he needs are quick transitions from midfields and to have his runs picked out. A better set of midfielders could find his runs a lot better. You add a technical, fast and agile player like Willian to his right and it could be potent.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:10 am

Fast and agile player like Willian??? Sometimes I wonder about you Swipey lol.

I understand what you are saying though, Willian's technical ability should be fine to help us creatively, somehow though he has bombed, I can only conclude that it is down to Arteta's tactics, top players don't become shit overnight
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:31 am

This is his season before he joined team balls-deep.

https://youtu.be/Vqis7XyYAi0

He isn’t fast and agile? Tell me why he can’t play off Auba.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:48 am

swipe right wrote:This is his season before he joined team balls-deep.

https://youtu.be/Vqis7XyYAi0

He isn’t fast and agile? Tell me why he can’t play off Auba.

What you're saying reminds me of the days where the 10 playmaker used to be the second striker in a 4-4-2. Auba is definitely like a throwback striker. Not sure about Willian. Could work if playing 3-5-2 but if we were playing a two striker system, I'd work play Auba and Lacazette if we're keeping Lacazette, then it would be Martinelli or Pepe
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:05 am

We are stuck with William for two more seasons. Now we have to find a way to make it work. He can play like Theo. Make him an outlet on the right and have him lay balls off to Auba or Laca or whoever the damn CF is.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:23 am

swipe right wrote:We are stuck with William for two more seasons. Now we have to find a way to make it work. He can play like Theo. Make him an outlet on the right and have him lay balls off to Auba or Laca or whoever the damn CF is.

Agreed but I wouldn't prioritise his game time over the players I mentioned. He'll have to work his way into the team from the bench and earn a starting place. Have to live with the mistake.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:51 am

Yeah looks like we’re stuck with him, another stroke of genius by Arteta, let’s hope he’s better next season than he was last!
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Santi » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:07 am

Let's hope he doesn't get a single minute of game time.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:27 pm

Probably loan him to Miami and cover the majority of his salary. Club will play it off like they did with Ozil.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:12 pm

Last summers transfer dealings by Arteta were a disaster, let Martinez go who excelled and we’re now looking to pay out similar amounts for another keeper, brought in Willian who we didn’t need ans he was awful and now we’re stuck with him, didn’t register Saliba and then sent him on loan.

This summer we’re being linked with players in positions we don’t need and some player who won’t improve us, so people still trust these guys to get it right, I certainly don’t, look at their record, Martinelli one of our best players is being left out on a regular basis and we’re being linked with White who is pretty unproven at a cost of 50 million, some keepers and Lokonga a guy who won’t be ready for the PL according to people who have seen him, meanwhile no creative midfielder in sight despite that being one of our biggest issues last year.

Then there’s Xhaka, he wants to leave (despite Arteta wanting to keep him, again what is he thinking) and we’ve not managed to get him off the books despite having an interested buyer and we sell Mavropanos a guy who has been great in Germany for basically 3.5 million most of which we won’t get till next summer as we’ve sent him on loan again and we’re going to do similar with Guendouzi.

It’s a joke.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Santi » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:47 pm

Can't believe this c*** followed up his taking the piss first season with us by becoming fat ronaldo mk II in his second.

absolute despicable c***
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:48 pm

Santi wrote:Let's hope he doesn't get a single minute of game time.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ag6789 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:16 pm

Willian was brought in aftet having a stellar season in Chelsea. 14 goals and similar number of assists. He was given enough opportunity but strangely didn't find his groove. Not entirely the managements fault.
Partey, inspite of being a top performer have not found his feet-again not entirely managements fault. Auba, the best player the season before, didn't do well-not entirely managements fault. Martinez was the 2nd choice after Leno, but played great late season and in the FA cup and wanted top billing - a tight call which went wrong- nobody has a crystal ball that shows the future crystal clear.
Again, senior playets Luiz, Xhakha, Leno making idiotic mistakes costing the team upwards of 10 pts- not entirely managements fault. 4-5 pts would have gotten us 4th spot not to talk of 10 pts.
seniors are supposed to lead from front not sink the ship. That's what those idiots did.
The management is inexperienced for sure but I wouldn't doubt their intentions. Many other managers would have made similar calls under the circumstances. It is all about hit or miss. When it misses, you're 4pts short and end up 8th when a bit of luck could have got you 3rd. Fine margins.
Other teams, Chelsea, ManU, Spuds been yo-yo most season but lucked out in the end. None showed much certainty in anything anymore than Arsenal really.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to World Football