Is Arsene Wenger's footballing philosophy flawed?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Is Arsene Weger football philosophy flawed

Postby elkanofan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:58 pm

Massa wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
Massa wrote:1) Hazard is a winger
2) He is 2x better than Bendtner on the wing
3) He is 10x better than Rosicky on the wing
4) He can play out wide moving Nasri in the middle so we don't ever have to play any midfielder beginning with D

He's going to cost 20+ milllion and Wenger won't do that!

We will have to sell Arshavin since he's not going to be happy on the bench and behind Hazard!

We need a versatile striker! Someone who can be in and about the first team and provides cover for RVP when he breaks down!

He's already on the bench

The way Theo breaks down all the time he will sooner or later get his place back, and Theo is like someone else put it, an 'unique' weapon, Arshavin when he plays well is a far better player and compliments our team better than Theo who's average when it comes to technique.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Forest » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:08 pm

shon wrote:This isnt really about who is in or out but more the fact if you continualy develop you are doing just that.At some point you have to look at what we are missing and purchase exactly that and let go of the surplus.we of course have 17 players on loan is AW trying to create his own league.

This summer will be our biggest in terms of personnel, we have so many players waiting for a chance, if not then they should be sold as not fair on them to keep loaning them out when they can join a club permantly.
Depth is not an issue anymore, its quality of depth and the formations we play to suit the players.

Nothing wrong with the philosy because as PG or Gza has said, What is the right way?

Real have spent millions and won nothing like last season over £200m.

"Barca are the right type of club model" please, before Laporta started a spending spree they barely made top 6 for early 00's.

Milan buy older players with plenty of experience, not won anything for 3/4 years now.

No model or philosy guarentees trophies.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Massa » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:32 pm

People put Arshavin in the team soley based on his effeciency, but Theo has much better stats and add that to his pace and you have someone who I'd pick over Arshavin every day of the week.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Yorkyblue » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:47 pm

elkanofan wrote:
shon wrote:
elkanofan wrote:The depth is there it's down to players like Van persie, Cesc, Vermalen etc.. always getting injured so much when we need them

Are you saying Bendy and Chamak are as good as RVP the depth isnt there if and when injured the in coming player should imo have no lesser effect on the side. :think:

Right so let's do a man city and buy 4 strikers who all believe they are as good as Pele?

Do you think Dzeko and Balotelli will be happy to sit on the bench? I mean Bendtner hate's it on the bench as it is, let alone players like i mentioned.

We need another top versatile striker but thats about it, the depth is there. You can't expect every player to be a superstar! Because if every player was a superstar they wouldn't have it sitting on the bench and not being first choice.

I never understand when people say things like that.

Balotelli has had plenty of game time this season. 16 games I think which isn't bad to say he's been out for about 4 months of the season!

As I keep saying, there is plenty of game time for Tevez, Balotelli and Dzeko.

As for Wenger, I'm still not sure. If you won the CC this season, it wouldn't mean he's right. He's not wrong but it does keep seeing like you're always missing 2-3 signings and rely on what you have already instead.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Forest » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:49 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
shon wrote:
elkanofan wrote:The depth is there it's down to players like Van persie, Cesc, Vermalen etc.. always getting injured so much when we need them

Are you saying Bendy and Chamak are as good as RVP the depth isnt there if and when injured the in coming player should imo have no lesser effect on the side. :think:

Right so let's do a man city and buy 4 strikers who all believe they are as good as Pele?

Do you think Dzeko and Balotelli will be happy to sit on the bench? I mean Bendtner hate's it on the bench as it is, let alone players like i mentioned.

We need another top versatile striker but thats about it, the depth is there. You can't expect every player to be a superstar! Because if every player was a superstar they wouldn't have it sitting on the bench and not being first choice.

Balotelli has had plenty of game time this season. 16 games I think which isn't bad to say he's been out for about 4 months of the season!

As for Wenger, I'm still not sure. If you won the CC this season, it wouldn't mean he's right. He's not wrong but it does keep seeing like you're always missing 2-3 signings and rely on what you have already instead.

I read Balotelli hasnt faced a any of the other top 6 sides, always been injured, weird hey.
@Coulston17

Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Massa » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:14 pm

If we finish potless this season lack of signings will not be the cause
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:18 pm

Forest wrote:
shon wrote:This isnt really about who is in or out but more the fact if you continualy develop you are doing just that.At some point you have to look at what we are missing and purchase exactly that and let go of the surplus.we of course have 17 players on loan is AW trying to create his own league.

This summer will be our biggest in terms of personnel, we have so many players waiting for a chance, if not then they should be sold as not fair on them to keep loaning them out when they can join a club permantly.
Depth is not an issue anymore, its quality of depth and the formations we play to suit the players.

Nothing wrong with the philosy because as PG or Gza has said, What is the right way?

"Barca are the right type of club model" please, before Laporta started a spending spree they barely made top 6 for early 00's.

Milan buy older players with plenty of experience, not won anything for 3/4 years now.

That is pretty much bang on imo.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby VCC » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:20 am

Reverend Gooner wrote:
Forest wrote:

That is pretty much bang on imo.

have to say forest what you have said is true,but i hope AW looks at our squad and the fact that RVP has no hugely effective replacement,he can always rotate one class striker with a Bendy or Chamak rather than the 1 upfront that every team has worked out how to defend.then we are not at the mercy of injuries so much,also DM options need a look,and maybe one CB we are not far away from greatness frustrates the hell out of me,to develop a whole team is impossible task will always be chasing our tail with players not quite the quality to win silverware regulary. :)
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby elkanofan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:46 am

Yorkyblue wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
shon wrote:

Basically you have three into one position, you have this one up front system and all the strikers all rightfully since i rate Balotelli, Tevez and Dzeko want to be nothing BUT the number one.

Dzeko is fine atm since he's still adapting, Balotelli like you have said has missed much of the season so Tevez has been the main man but let's face it if Dzeko and Balotelli stay fir next season they aren't going to be contempt with being second choice!

Too many ego's is not good, i not even necessarily mean they are arrogant shits, no, i mean all three players rate themselves to be top players and want to start! You have to have players who even thought they will e chomping at the bit to get int he team won't throw their toys our of the pram not being in the team.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:49 am

Forest wrote:

Agree with this...

although Chelsea's and Man United's spend loads now, worry about your accounts later has worked for the last 4-5 years, i mean Chelseavery well look like they are going to completely explode in the next two years or so, but if Chelsea as a club is destroyed in their eyes the 4-5 years of trophies was 'worth' it :dizzy:
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby VCC » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:08 am

elkanofan wrote:
Forest wrote:

Agree with this...

although Chelsea's and Man United's spend loads now, worry about your accounts later has worked for the last 4-5 years, i mean Chelseavery well look like they are going to completely explode in the next two years or so, but if Chelsea as a club is destroyed in their eyes the 4-5 years of trophies was 'worth' it :dizzy:

This isnt about buying a team it is about a process of buying maybe two key players a season on top of the developmental program running,AW needs to accept he cant develop every player on the planet and certainly not all at once in one team,hence the 17 loan players which we develop for every one else, good business sense and makes money,we need to factor a signing into the equation on top of the development, and thinking about a plan b in tactics then this side can become world class we are nearly there imo
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby elkanofan » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:22 am

shon wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
Forest wrote:

Agree with this...

This isnt about buying a team it is about a process of buying maybe two key players a season on top of the developmental program running,AW needs to accept he cant develop every player on the planet and certainly not all at once in one team,hence the 17 loan players which we develop for every one else, good business sense and makes money,we need to factor a signing into the equation on top of the development, and thinking about a plan b in tactics then this side can become world class we are nearly there imo

Well like i said we definitely in need of another striker who can play on the wing, Someone in the mould of Villa, Forlan, a striker with ability who can play out on the wing, behind the striker or on his own upfront when Van Perise dies for a month or so

Not someone small, but obviously not a target man, someone who's anything from 5"11 to 6"1, I was thinking Lisandro Lopez or someone like that!
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby VCC » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:23 am

elkanofan wrote:
shon wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
Forest wrote:

Agree with this...

Well like i said we definitely in need of another striker who can play on the wing, Someone in the mould of Villa, Forlan, a striker with ability who can play out on the wing, behind the striker or on his own upfront when Van Perise dies for a month or so

Not someone small, but obviously not a target man, someone who's anything from 5"11 to 6"1, I was thinking Lisandro Lopez or someone like that!

Dont know if AW would sighn him being 28 but who knows :dontknow: we need another proven goal scorer agreed
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Forest » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:36 am

Chamahk and Bendy can score but its the service there given and formation, when they were both on the pitch and slightly changed to a 442, there was space and created more oppotunities than most of the match.
@Coulston17

Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Re: Is Arsene Wenger's footballing philosophy flawed?

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:33 pm

shon wrote:The above is the question i ask.AW philosophy is to develop football talent,AW will not go to the market to buy as he says over inflated players.here lies the problem as these young players are developed we are left with a squad that doesnt have the depth of an champion side.As his players develop to the likes of the Cescs Theo jack list goes on we are then developing the next crop.Some of these players in this cycle dont live up to expectation that is life.But with out going to the market and bolstering the squad with known world class talent we will always be in that developmental stage and a good 4 or 5 players short in our squad.AW philosophy will gamble with the bendys and Chamaks of this world to win titles you need imo at least 2 world class strikers to rotate.And to admit he will never totaly develop this team,Aw is not the youth team manager bring in the class we require and let go the players that are only up to playing for average teams.what is your veiw?

Good question but there are a couple of issues I would take with that.
Firstly I don't think it's Wenger's 'philosophy' not to buy experienced players, he's been restricted financially due to the stadium etc. and that's made the decision for him.
Before we bought the stadium he spent big money e.g. Reyes and even after we bought it he spent money e.g. Arshavin so he's not afraid to spend big when he thinks the time is right.
Also you mention Chamakh, he's not a player we've developed, he's 27 years old. Ok we may have got him for free but we still have to pay his wages.

As for whether we'll always be in that development stage, I see your point but logic dictates that all the players that are currently in their early 20s e.g. Theo, Cesc, Jack, Diaby, Koscielny etc. etc. will eventually hit their peak age (27) at around the same time.
If we can keep them together then when they reach that age our entire team will be made up of experienced players who've grown up together which is the most lethal combination (see Barca).
If/when that happens the development idea will pay off handsomely.

As for the strikers issue, I completely agree with you there. We have one world class striker in RVP, a developing player in Bendy and a frustrating player in Chamakh.
Chamakh did really well at the start of the season but then his form dipped and we can only hope he recovers it in time to make an impact.
I would much rather AW had bought an experienced world class striker than Chamakh, but he obviously couldn't find one that matched his budget and ticked all the other boxes.

Having said all that we could definitely win the league this season even with RVP coming in and out of the squad all the time. Purely because when we win games our goals can come from anywhere so we don't need to rely on RVP to score for us.
Theo, Nasri, Arshavin and Cesc are all goal threats and the defenders also chip in with the odd goal.
In a year or two Theo will move up front and add to the list of strikers so that'll help. Whether we'll win anything while we wait for that to happen, no-one knows, only time will tell.

Let's have this conversation again at the end of the season when the question will have been answered for you.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk