Thank you, Laca: Lacazette set to leave Arsenal

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Alexandre Lacazette (9)

Postby Santi » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:27 pm

70m for 3 goals in 11 apps?

Nah i'm alright
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby KG3 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:26 am

In terms of our CF signing and going for the obvious options like Vlahovic and Martinez who will cost 70M or more. We need to think outside the box and buy someone who’s going under the radar but has the right traits we need to lead the line.

Look at Klopp for example Mane, Salah and Jota where all questionable signings at the time and now look at them, klopp knew what he wanted and made them into better plays.

Ideally the next CF at the bare minimum needs to have good link up play, work rate, decent pace, creativity, aerial ability.

Haven’t been keeping up with other Europe’s top leagues so I’m not really sure if there’s anyone cheap that fits that profile, but maybe if we looked at leagues that no one really thinks of like Poland/Croatia etc for the next Lewandoski/Eduardo we might find something.

I’d say South America also but they have a work permit issue so it’s not really ideal for us, we can’t afford to be buying someone and wait for them to develop elsewhere while waiting for a permit.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby swipe right » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:56 am

KG3 wrote:In terms of our CF signing and going for the obvious options like Vlahovic and Martinez who will cost 70M or more. We need to think outside the box and buy someone who’s going under the radar but has the right traits we need to lead the line.

Look at Klopp for example Mane, Salah and Jota where all questionable signings at the time and now look at them, klopp knew what he wanted and made them into better plays.

Ideally the next CF at the bare minimum needs to have good link up play, work rate, decent pace, creativity, aerial ability.

Haven’t been keeping up with other Europe’s top leagues so I’m not really sure if there’s anyone cheap that fits that profile, but maybe if we looked at leagues that no one really thinks of like Poland/Croatia etc for the next Lewandoski/Eduardo we might find something.

I’d say South America also but they have a work permit issue so it’s not really ideal for us, we can’t afford to be buying someone and wait for them to develop elsewhere while waiting for a permit.

https://youtu.be/qCIm3qQp0Qc
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:43 am

swipe right wrote:
KG3 wrote:In terms of our CF signing and going for the obvious options like Vlahovic and Martinez who will cost 70M or more. We need to think outside the box and buy someone who’s going under the radar but has the right traits we need to lead the line.

https://youtu.be/qCIm3qQp0Qc

Isak - no .. doesn't score enough goals.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Alexis » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:57 pm

Mane, Salah and Jota were not questionable signings. Mane was a good player for Southampton and was up there with van dick as their top 3 players. Salah was one of the best serie A players and was doing everything you're seeing now except lethal finishing which is what klopp has fixed and Jota was doing great for wolves under Nuno.

He took them on and improved on their weaknesses but they weren't toss ups. Mane was linked to United previously. And Salah to multiple other top Italian clubs.
Alexis
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:36 pm

I have no problem with Laca, at the very least you get effort from him and its not like he is a shit CF.

Give the man a contract and buy a replacement for Auba. I still think there is a lot more to come from Laca, now we have found a system that works kinda he should be in the goals.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:57 pm

Reiss wrote:Rumours are we want to give Laca a 2 year contract.

We. Need. To. Learn. From. Our. Mistakes.

Yep. This could be expensive.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Goonerred » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:59 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Reiss wrote:Rumours are we want to give Laca a 2 year contract.

We. Need. To. Learn. From. Our. Mistakes.

Yep. This could be expensive.

What you mean giving an ageing player whose legs might go any minute a huge pay rise?
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:14 pm

He has not done anything to deserve a rise.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:20 pm

theHotHead wrote:He has not done anything to deserve a rise.

Done more than Xhaka, imho.
I'm ok with an extension but not a pay raise
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Rockape » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:30 pm

I agree........but thats not how it works! At the end of his contract, he becomes a free agent who won't cost another club a transfer fee, so:

He will get a signing on fee
he will get an increase on his current wages

So, we can either let that happen and look to pay anything between £30 and £75m on a replacement who may not be a success. Therefore giving him a 2 yr contract and a significant pay rise would save us a vast sum of money against doing the alternative and give us a player we know all about.

Clearly this isn't the ideal solution, but its better than letting him go and not getting a replacement.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Goonerred » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:42 pm

Rockape wrote:

I agree........but thats not how it works! At the end of his contract, he becomes a free agent who won't cost another club a transfer fee, so:

So, we can either let that happen and look to pay anything between £30 and £75m on a replacement who may not be a success. Therefore giving him a 2 yr contract and a significant pay rise would save us a vast sum of money against doing the alternative and give us a player we know all about.

Clearly this isn't the ideal solution, but its better than letting him go and not getting a replacement.

In other words, he's going to hold us to ransom. We never learn.
Goonerred

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:50 pm

Doesn't turn up nearly enough to merit an extension. I appreciate his service for the team and his experience, but his ~10 league goals/season record isn't worth £9m/yr or whatever he's getting now.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:53 pm

Goonerred wrote:
Rockape wrote:

In other words, he's going to hold us to ransom. We never learn.

We should be spending out time looking for internal solutions as well. Martinelli, Balogun and Pepe some names that could possibly play his role. I wouldn't even be mad of Arteta tried a false 9 role for one of the players but instead we're rotating game time between two contract bandits, Nketiah and Lacazette.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Santi » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:11 pm

Should be 1 year with a small rise in wage (purely because contracts always go up in football).

Otherwise let him go. Love the guy but never again do we want an aging player on high wages, even if I trust him to give more effort than Auba/Ozil.
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to World Football