Thank you, Laca: Lacazette set to leave Arsenal

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Alexandre Lacazette (9)

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:19 pm

How the boss uses stats to make changes

Alexandre Lacazette is back in full training again and nearing a first-team return - but why does the boss often take him off in the second half of games?

Arsene Wenger sat down with us to discuss the use of stats to determine players' physical conditions - and revealed how he manages the France international.

"We know the players’ physical qualities and who we expect to drop in the second half or not," the boss told the Arsenal Magazine. "Nobody’s tired enough at half time to be substituted for that, but in the second half you’ll see that sometimes this player will drop in the last 20 minutes.

"We have a fatigue factor coming in at different levels for everybody and we know the players who drop more in the second half than others. Some remain completely consistent and some even push upwards in the second half.

"There are players who drop up to 15 per cent in the second half, so you have to consider that in your substitutions. Even if you do make substitutions, you always try to keep one free because you know this guy could need to be substituted as well so you need to keep a place for him.

"I must say that [Lacazette] plays in a position where you sub more than say a defender," Wenger added. "You substitute a striker more than you would a defender, because they always have to provoke, to defend, to attack, you have to create holes in the defences. The strikers are more subbed than others.

"Secondly, he was in an adaptation period where I felt that, without any objective measurement, that sometimes he struggled a bit more in the second part of the game, especially in the last 20 minutes, to create the movement he can.

"I put that down to an adaptation period. It was not so much physically - that didn’t drop so much - it just looked like he was a bit less sharp."

Source: https://www.arsenal.com/news/how-boss-u ... ke-changes
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:21 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:Laca to lead the line for UL and Auba for PL. Like Ospina and Cech. But Welbeast must be deployed as a rampaging right winger causing havoc on the flanks.

What about Ozil and Mkhi?

We're playing our 1st team now in the EPL.

Who you gonna bench?

Tbf they're all options, nothing wrong with a sub, its what big clubs do, so can we.

But I guess the question is would you start Welbeck and if so who would you drop?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby fredd1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:49 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

Alexandre Lacazette is back in full training again and nearing a first-team return - but why does the boss often take him off in the second half of games?

Arsene Wenger sat down with us to discuss the use of stats to determine players' physical conditions - and revealed how he manages the France international.

"We know the players’ physical qualities and who we expect to drop in the second half or not," the boss told the Arsenal Magazine. "Nobody’s tired enough at half time to be substituted for that, but in the second half you’ll see that sometimes this player will drop in the last 20 minutes.

"We have a fatigue factor coming in at different levels for everybody and we know the players who drop more in the second half than others. Some remain completely consistent and some even push upwards in the second half.

"There are players who drop up to 15 per cent in the second half, so you have to consider that in your substitutions. Even if you do make substitutions, you always try to keep one free because you know this guy could need to be substituted as well so you need to keep a place for him.

"I must say that [Lacazette] plays in a position where you sub more than say a defender," Wenger added. "You substitute a striker more than you would a defender, because they always have to provoke, to defend, to attack, you have to create holes in the defences. The strikers are more subbed than others.

"Secondly, he was in an adaptation period where I felt that, without any objective measurement, that sometimes he struggled a bit more in the second part of the game, especially in the last 20 minutes, to create the movement he can.

"I put that down to an adaptation period. It was not so much physically - that didn’t drop so much - it just looked like he was a bit less sharp."

Well thanks for clearing that up Arsene because now we know why Laca didn't start at the beginning of the season against Liverpool.

He was too fatigued after the warm up
fredd1
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby coach8smallball » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:14 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:

such a load of crap!

"sometimes he struggled"......is not an absolute. a manager with a better feel of a player wouldn't rely solely on statistics.
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsene Nose » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:24 am

UL
----------Laca
Iwobi---Ozil---Welbeast
----Wilshere--Elneny
-------back 4--------

PL
----------Auba
Mkhi---Ramsey---Nelson
---------Xhaka
---------back 5---------
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DialSquaregooner » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:18 pm

Thought he played well, was lively and injected that something that was missing from our performance. Nice touch by Auba to let him take the pen and boost hus confidence.
DialSquaregooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Sims » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:54 pm

he is a fantastic footballer. far more complete than i ever thought he'd be.

looks completely different to how he was pre-surgery, mustve been a long term issue cause he looks freer now
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:13 pm

Sims wrote:he is a fantastic footballer. far more complete than i ever thought he'd be.

looks completely different to how he was pre-surgery, mustve been a long term issue cause he looks freer now

Hope he can shine up front in the Europa, again though is Wenger going to let him start or stick with Welbeck until he plays bad enough to justify the swap.

Whether we like it or not Welbeck last bagged two goals, almost harsh to drop him.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby fredd1 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:39 am

Sims wrote:he is a fantastic footballer. far more complete than i ever thought he'd be.

Totally agree.Thought he looked excellent when he came on.With Auba arriving and being out injured I thought that might of dented his confidence but it didn't seem that way yesterday.

We have 2 terrific strikers now.
fredd1
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby indy23 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:53 pm

I wanted arsenal to have a striking partnership. This is perfect imo
indy23
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:58 pm

3 goals in two games with only around 90mins played is pretty good for a guy who just got off the couch.

Need more goals from open play but his one today was nicely taken.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:00 pm

More than the goals his contribution and overall game stood out
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:32 pm

His second goal today was class.

Looked simple but the technique was perfect. Hard and low. Great first touch aswell.

A lot of strikers would of blazed that over or put it wide.
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Losmeister » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:53 pm

SuperJackyWilshere wrote:His second goal today was class.

Looked simple but the technique was perfect. Hard and low. Great first touch aswell.

A lot of strikers would of blazed that over or put it wide.

aha! ya beat me to it. very very nice strike, w/ the outside left....
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby indy23 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:57 pm

He was playing without getting surgery. Finally got that done and had some time off. Came back and looks ready to pounce. I love lacazette
indy23
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to World Football