Thank you, Laca: Lacazette set to leave Arsenal

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Alexandre Lacazette (9)

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:38 am

Fran Solo wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Fran Solo wrote:A front two with Lacazette and Martinelli/Pepe is worth trying. Just give Martinelli/Pepe a free role so he can shift from left to right. And don't overburden them with defensive duties. These guys have distrupting run and dribble so asking them to always look behind their back are counter productive. Alexis Sanchez lost a lot of possessions back then, but it didnt really matter because he created a lot of goals. I don't think Sanchez will be as good if the main instruction is "Play it safe, don't lose the ball".

It really was a more open game yesterday. Our counter attacks were much quicker too. Would have been good to see Arteta throw on Martinelli and Pepe. I thought we lost our way once Odegaard and AMN came on.

It was. Just look at Partey's role. He was attacking. Not with those long range shots, but with real penetration into Villa's box. He hit the bar from inside the box. Tomiyasu was also running forward a lot. The last time he did this was against Spurs and we also won. We might (and will) get caught if we continue playing like this, but it's ok for me. I'd rather try to score and win the game positively then to sit back and do the careful defensive strategy. We're not good at that kind of game.
Oh, and AMN and Odergaard might be instructed to slow the tempo down. Some players were starting to get tired.

It was good to see Partey and Lokonga carry the ball for to break into the final third. There was one particular carry from Lokonga that stood out for me. Happy to see more of that and not just the sideways pass.

Tomiyasu was fantastic as well. Really impressive game.

Agree on Odegaard and AMN being instructed to slow it down, but I'm guessing they weren supposed to slow it down by controlling possession but instead we lost possession in those final minutes of the game. Ended up conceding. Thought the backline deserved a clean sheet. Otherwise, an impressive team performance.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:43 am

theHotHead wrote:
themessiah wrote:Tbf Emery’s for all we criticised he mostly played Laca and Auba together whether it was in. 3-2-2-1-2 or a 4-4-2 for a 442 We have always had personal for swift counter attacks and emery was getting best of auba and laca. Laca and Auba are literally made for 442, don’t get why it hasn’t even been tried against most Bottom sides away from and at home games against the poor sides. It also Suits Partey and that Belgium kid as well style of play.

Lacazette drops in behind, Aubameyang can make runs, completely frees up the Lm/LW as the movement is too much for the opposition
We should only play 4-5-1 games the top 6 sides home and away.

Its because Arteta is a bloody idiot and wants to copy Pep. I get the feeling if Pep could he wouldn't play with any strikers on the pitch. Its so obvious playing Laca and Auba in a 2 is our best option, not least because the 2 always look rejuvenated and happy when they play together.

But no, fuckwit Arteta has to try avoid the obvious and instead sends us out half cocked! Thats why our attack is so shit!! As for playing Pepe as a CF, one of the worst ideas I have heard since being on this forum. To play as a CF you have to have the mindset of a CF, Pepe isn't direct enough and definitely not strong enough, to play up against big CBs.

When Pepe first arrived and stood out against Liverpool with an impressive performance that had most fans hopeful, he was playing up front with Auba. It was that 4-3-1-2 formation Emery would play on occasions. Pepe might not be suited for it long term but that day he gave a VVD and Liverpool a good run.

Just to add - if there were a game where Lacazette wasn't available and we're sticking with a 4-4-2, I wouldn’t want to see Nketiah and Auba starting up front.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:49 pm

How about Timo Werner as a replacement for Laca? He’s in need of a fresh start and was a good player at Leipzig.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:01 pm

We need a target man type imo
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:53 pm

TedLasso wrote:I wouldnt hate offering a two year extension and signing someone like Pepi or David to be his understudy until they’re ready to be the 9.

Laca isn't going to do that though.

He wants free agency and then to cash in, taking a 2 year deal with us is a risk, if he gets slowly replaced it'll hurt his value plus he'll be 32 at that point.

At 30, still having ability and no transfer fee he is in a good spot to go to Atletico or Italy wherever and get a great wage deal like we did for Willian.

If he accepted a 2 year deal with us its because we offered higher wages than he's on now, I don't think AFC will do that due to how we've been bitten already offering 30+ age players big money.

............ we'll have to see what happens.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Fran Solo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:42 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Fran Solo wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Fran Solo wrote:A front two with Lacazette and Martinelli/Pepe is worth trying. Just give Martinelli/Pepe a free role so he can shift from left to right. And don't overburden them with defensive duties. These guys have distrupting run and dribble so asking them to always look behind their back are counter productive. Alexis Sanchez lost a lot of possessions back then, but it didnt really matter because he created a lot of goals. I don't think Sanchez will be as good if the main instruction is "Play it safe, don't lose the ball".

It really was a more open game yesterday. Our counter attacks were much quicker too. Would have been good to see Arteta throw on Martinelli and Pepe. I thought we lost our way once Odegaard and AMN came on.

It was. Just look at Partey's role. He was attacking. Not with those long range shots, but with real penetration into Villa's box. He hit the bar from inside the box. Tomiyasu was also running forward a lot. The last time he did this was against Spurs and we also won. We might (and will) get caught if we continue playing like this, but it's ok for me. I'd rather try to score and win the game positively then to sit back and do the careful defensive strategy. We're not good at that kind of game.
Oh, and AMN and Odergaard might be instructed to slow the tempo down. Some players were starting to get tired.

It was good to see Partey and Lokonga carry the ball for to break into the final third. There was one particular carry from Lokonga that stood out for me. Happy to see more of that and not just the sideways pass.

Tomiyasu was fantastic as well. Really impressive game.

Agree on Odegaard and AMN being instructed to slow it down, but I'm guessing they weren supposed to slow it down by controlling possession but instead we lost possession in those final minutes of the game. Ended up conceding. Thought the backline deserved a clean sheet. Otherwise, an impressive team performance.

Yes, our defenders are ball players. They are better in an attacking minded team. If Arteta want to play defensively then he shouldn't buy Ben White. He is not Cannavaro and will get caught and make mistake if we play defensively for a long period of time. Same with Tierney and Tavares. They are electric up front. Seeing them pegged at the back most of their games is just sad.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:47 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
TedLasso wrote:I wouldnt hate offering a two year extension and signing someone like Pepi or David to be his understudy until they’re ready to be the 9.

Laca isn't going to do that though.

He wants free agency and then to cash in, taking a 2 year deal with us is a risk, if he gets slowly replaced it'll hurt his value plus he'll be 32 at that point.

At 30, still having ability and no transfer fee he is in a good spot to go to Atletico or Italy wherever and get a great wage deal like we did for Willian.

If he accepted a 2 year deal with us its because we offered higher wages than he's on now, I don't think AFC will do that due to how we've been bitten already offering 30+ age players big money.

............ we'll have to see what happens.

I dunno if players are really cashing in like that these days, only top free agents like Donnaruma and Alaba are getting big $$. Giroud is on maybe $5m at Milan and hes a CL and WC winner.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ag6789 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:16 pm

As usual did a lot of the hard work. Most unappreciated forward we have had.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:11 am

Arsenal are only willing to offer France striker Alexandre Lacazette a short-term deal as the 30-year-old approaches the end of his contract next summer. (Athletic, via Sun)
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:02 am

Decent striker but not elite. Should be playing in France or mid table premier league. I really like Isaak. Liverpool are making a move. We should move faster.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:27 am

Ach wrote:
Arsenal are only willing to offer France striker Alexandre Lacazette a short-term deal as the 30-year-old approaches the end of his contract next summer. (Athletic, via Sun)

I have no problem with this at all.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:30 am

theHotHead wrote:
Ach wrote:

I have no problem with this at all.

Too bad he does
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:03 pm

Has he said he wants to leave?
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:43 pm

theHotHead wrote:Has he said he wants to leave?

As I said previously there is no way he accepts a 1 year contract unless he has absolutely no other offers ......... and considering he'll be a free acquisition with some mileage left on the clock I imagine he'll get a better offer elsewhere.

So the likelyhood of him choosing to stay is absolutely minimal.

He needs the biggest contract possible on offer because this is his last chance to get a big deal before his retirement.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:43 pm

Mistake taking him off today - should have been Auba to go off.
Once Laca had gone, we were REALLY over run.
Had no options to hold the ball or win it.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to World Football