The case for a new goalkeeper

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: The case for a new goalkeeper

Postby IMF » Thu May 27, 2010 9:07 am

I'm getting worried that it really is Schwarzer. I'm sorry but he's not good enough for a top club, especially at the age of 37. Is a mildly average middle aged keeper much better than a below average almost middle aged keeper in Almunia?

Why the f*ck would we be buying a stopgap while Sirchesney matures a bit more for anyway? Are we planning on winning f*ck all until Shizzlemanizzle is old enough to play for us??

Anyone else watch the Holland v Mexico match last night? That Dutch keeper was class and was a giant. Buy him.
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby Zedie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:19 am

Thought i'd resurrect this thread due to recent threadjacks!

personally, i'll be happy with Chesney, Fabi and Mannone as our three keepers for next season. I know some Gooners want Chesney's head for the CC final gaff, but i still think Kos should have either:

A: listened to the gk's call and got the f**k out of the way

B: Put the ball into the 12 Pins' beer garden! (ie a mile or 2 away)

Chesney is supposed to have made that one huge mistake, which is a bit debatable, but i for one dont put the blame at his doorstep. Comparing his gaffs this season to Alumnia or other number ones and im sure we can agree that there havent been any/many mistakes made b Ches that have directly contributed to a goal, which is more than you can say for Cech/Reina etc.

For his debut season, he has played exceptionally well and im a bit surprised that people are still thinking we should go out and spunk on a Reina status goalie. We've conceded the same amount of goals as the temporary league leaders, partly down to the emergence of DJ and the arrival of settling of Kos, but also because of Fabi and Chesneys performances.

If we were in the same position now as we were in pre season, i'd be at the head of the queue calling for a gk, but is this position the most urgent area for strengthening atm? I dont think so.

I've got faith that both Ches and Kos can pull things back. Sometimes, a goal and subsequent loss like that is the best way for players to learn and i have faith in both of them to get past the disappointment and become established world figures in the game.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Gunner Down Under » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:48 am

I had the feeling that we either got Schwarzer in the summer transfer season or not at all.

Because we didn't I don't think we'll be getting him.
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:31 am

IMF wrote:I'm getting worried that it really is Schwarzer. I'm sorry but he's not good enough for a top club, especially at the age of 37. Is a mildly average middle aged keeper much better than a below average almost middle aged keeper in Almunia?

Why the f*ck would we be buying a stopgap while Sirchesney matures a bit more for anyway? Are we planning on winning f*ck all until Shizzlemanizzle is old enough to play for us??

Anyone else watch the Holland v Mexico match last night? That Dutch keeper was class and was a giant. Buy him.

Schwarzer is a god, definately consistantly better than any of the keepers we have at the moment, and extremely good one on one too, which will help us as we play a high line and get caught out more often than we should
he is extremely reliable, and as an Aussie myself, he is the one player I know will perform well (if we didn't have him, we wouldn't have made it out of the group stage at the recent Asian Cup, let alone to extra time of the final), and has been a huge reason for our recent relative success
having said that, there's no chance of him joining us, he signed a new contract with Fulham after the summer
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:53 am

For me its SzeZ he has shown he has huge potential, with any keeper there will be howlers at some time.for a first season and having played manure,Barca he showed he will be class and rather quickly to.If a keeper was to be brought he would have to be EPL keeper as has been said the adjustment factor would make any other transfer pointless.spend the money on another top goal scorer to help the forever injured RVP
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:52 pm

ThereIsBearCum wrote:
IMF wrote:I'm getting worried that it really is Schwarzer. I'm sorry but he's not good enough for a top club, especially at the age of 37. Is a mildly average middle aged keeper much better than a below average almost middle aged keeper in Almunia?

Schwarzer is a god, definately consistantly better than any of the keepers we have at the moment, and extremely good one on one too, which will help us as we play a high line and get caught out more often than we should
he is extremely reliable, and as an Aussie myself, he is the one player I know will perform well (if we didn't have him, we wouldn't have made it out of the group stage at the recent Asian Cup, let alone to extra time of the final), and has been a huge reason for our recent relative success
having said that, there's no chance of him joining us, he signed a new contract with Fulham after the summer

Great username but :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:00 pm

shon wrote:For me its SzeZ he has shown he has huge potential, with any keeper there will be howlers at some time.for a first season and having played manure,Barca he showed he will be class and rather quickly to.If a keeper was to be brought he would have to be EPL keeper as has been said the adjustment factor would make any other transfer pointless.spend the money on another top goal scorer to help the forever injured RVP

this
and maybe a proper defedner too
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zedie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:03 pm

Given Ornstiens mega tweet confirming we are in for torriera, we've bagged lichtenstiner and sokratis and more importantly that we are in for a new GK, who do you think it could be?

I'm hearing Leno hasn't been great this season and has had a lot of issues, but I've not really seen any concrete links to any one like the others above.

I'm half thinking it'll be someone young with lots of potential like Lafont because we're keeping cech....
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:07 pm

cillessen's been linked

much better than leno but 29 and apparently barca want 40m
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby UFGN » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Zedie wrote:Given Ornstiens mega tweet confirming we are in for torriera, we've bagged lichtenstiner and sokratis and more importantly that we are in for a new GK, who do you think it could be?

I'm hearing Leno hasn't been great this season and has had a lot of issues, but I've not really seen any concrete links to any one like the others above.

I'm half thinking it'll be someone young with lots of potential like Lafont because we're keeping cech....

Timo Horn
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Sims » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:08 pm

UFGN wrote:
Zedie wrote:Given Ornstiens mega tweet confirming we are in for torriera, we've bagged lichtenstiner and sokratis and more importantly that we are in for a new GK, who do you think it could be?

Timo Horn

signed a new deal with cologne and schland can probs testify he aint going anywhere despite being relegated
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby UFGN » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:10 pm

BOGDAAAAAAN
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Zedie » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:21 pm

UFGN wrote:BOGDAAAAAAN

Fs not this again. :biggrin:
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:36 pm