The case for a new goalkeeper

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Postby GunnGunn » Wed May 05, 2010 11:11 am

The Telegraph had some interesting data today on the performance of Arsenal’s goalkeepers this season. It does not paint a happy picture:

Manuel Almunia
(Apps – 36; Conceded – 38; Shots Faced – 123; Saves – 85; Saves to Shot ratio – 67.7%)

Lukasz Fabianski
(Apps – 9; Conceded – 16; Saves to Shot ratio – 64.3%)

Vito Mannone
(Apps – 9; Conceded – 9; Saves to Shot ratio – 78.3%)

The numbers look pretty bad, but I needed some perspective on those numbers. For example, what is the save percentage of the average goalkeeper in the Premier League. Well according to plainsoccer.com average the average save percentage in the Premier League this season was 70.5%. On the high end was Brad Friedel and Edwin Van der Sar who saved 80% of the shots he faced and on the low end is David James at 61%.

So Almunia is below average, and is in fact ranked 17th in the Premier League. If he had performed as well as Friedel and Van der Sar, then Alumnia would have made 98 saves this season instead of 85. In other words, Friedel or Van he would Van der Sar would have conceded almosy 10 goals less this season than Almunia. That translates into about 10 points, which is how many points that Arsenal are behind Man United in the table.

In case you think that I am picking on Almunia, 7amkickoff.com has data on Almunia going back to 2007 when he broke into the side.

2007 – Save Percentage 87.2%
2008 – Save Percentage – 75.7%
2009 – Save Percentage – 69.1%

The numbers are going down instead of up which us why Arsenal need to replace Almunia.

The press had reports recently of Arsenal being interested in Buffon but I don’t think so. He is too old for Arsenal. He will have little or no resale value when his contract is up if he came to Arsenal and thus does not fit the profile of the kind of player that Arsenal likes to sign.

Based on 2009-2010 form, Arsenal would be better targeting Joe Hart (79% save percentage) or Craig Gordon (77%). They are both a step up from Almunia statistically and are young enough in their career that they will have some resale value in another four or five years.

Who do you think Arsenal should sign as their new goalkeeper for next season?

http://wearearsenalblog.com/the-case-fo ... oalkeeper/

Very interesting, 17th in the Premier League, and our third choice goalkeeper, essentially a kid, is above the average, whilst our first and second choice are both way below average.

What is very surprising is that his shot to save ratio when he broke through was 87%, that would have put him as probably the best goalkeeper in the League, the second season he was ok, still way above average, and this season he has been below it.

We need a new goalkeeper or we need to give Mannone a chance, i know Itus won't agree but at Fulham earlier in the season he won the game for us, and was rock solid after a disappointing game against Standard Liege, which was really down to comical defending.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: The case for a new goalkeeper

Postby IMF » Wed May 05, 2010 11:56 am

Those stats are wrong. If you take a shot to save ratio of on-target shots, his save ratio is considerably less...
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby Goose » Wed May 05, 2010 11:59 am

Don't need stats to tell me they are crap and Almooonia is getting worse.

Shocking to see that NotsoFabianski has conceded 16 goals in 9 games
Goose
Member of the Year 2009
Member of the Year 2009

Postby StLGooner » Wed May 05, 2010 12:25 pm

Way to point out the obvious inspector gunngunn. ;)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby rogerthornhill » Wed May 05, 2010 12:39 pm

It's an open and shut case, we need a new keeper, it's an absolute imperative, if AW thinks or says otherwise then he is deluding himself.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GunnGunn » Wed May 05, 2010 12:57 pm

ChVint22 wrote:Way to point out the obvious inspector gunngunn. ;)

Heh, obvious would have me been saying Almunia is rubbish, i found it interesting you phat f***er.
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Wed May 05, 2010 1:13 pm

GunnGunn wrote:

Heh, obvious would have me been saying Almunia is rubbish, i found it interesting you phat f**ker.

Isn't that what you're trying to tell us? :dontknow:

I find your mother interesting!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gooneritis » Thu May 06, 2010 1:57 pm

GunnGunn wrote:
The Telegraph had some interesting data today on the performance of Arsenal’s goalkeepers this season. It does not paint a happy picture:

Manuel Almunia
(Apps – 36; Conceded – 38; Shots Faced – 123; Saves – 85; Saves to Shot ratio – 67.7%)

Lukasz Fabianski
(Apps – 9; Conceded – 16; Saves to Shot ratio – 64.3%)

Vito Mannone
(Apps – 9; Conceded – 9; Saves to Shot ratio – 78.3%)

The numbers look pretty bad, but I needed some perspective on those numbers. For example, what is the save percentage of the average goalkeeper in the Premier League. Well according to plainsoccer.com average the average save percentage in the Premier League this season was 70.5%. On the high end was Brad Friedel and Edwin Van der Sar who saved 80% of the shots he faced and on the low end is David James at 61%.

So Almunia is below average, and is in fact ranked 17th in the Premier League. If he had performed as well as Friedel and Van der Sar, then Alumnia would have made 98 saves this season instead of 85. In other words, Friedel or Van he would Van der Sar would have conceded almosy 10 goals less this season than Almunia. That translates into about 10 points, which is how many points that Arsenal are behind Man United in the table.

In case you think that I am picking on Almunia, 7amkickoff.com has data on Almunia going back to 2007 when he broke into the side.

2007 – Save Percentage 87.2%
2008 – Save Percentage – 75.7%
2009 – Save Percentage – 69.1%

The numbers are going down instead of up which us why Arsenal need to replace Almunia.

The press had reports recently of Arsenal being interested in Buffon but I don’t think so. He is too old for Arsenal. He will have little or no resale value when his contract is up if he came to Arsenal and thus does not fit the profile of the kind of player that Arsenal likes to sign.

Based on 2009-2010 form, Arsenal would be better targeting Joe Hart (79% save percentage) or Craig Gordon (77%). They are both a step up from Almunia statistically and are young enough in their career that they will have some resale value in another four or five years.

Who do you think Arsenal should sign as their new goalkeeper for next season?

http://wearearsenalblog.com/the-case-fo ... oalkeeper/

Very interesting, 17th in the Premier League, and our third choice goalkeeper, essentially a kid, is above the average, whilst our first and second choice are both way below average.

What is very surprising is that his shot to save ratio when he broke through was 87%, that would have put him as probably the best goalkeeper in the League, the second season he was ok, still way above average, and this season he has been below it.

We need a new goalkeeper or we need to give Mannone a chance, i know Itus won't agree but at Fulham earlier in the season he won the game for us, and was rock solid after a disappointing game against Standard Liege, which was really down to comical defending.

giving mannone a chance instead of a new goalkeeper would be suicide, he'll never make it, good game against fulham but he's still naff and would have to improve considerably and i don't want him learning his trade whilst between our sticks.

If those stats are for shots on target then that means our goalkeepers concede 35 goals out of 100 shots on avg. that's terrible.
i bet our bloody attackers aren't scoring at 1 in 3 shots.
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gooneritis » Thu May 06, 2010 1:59 pm

GunnGunn wrote:

Heh, obvious would have me been saying Almunia is rubbish, i found it interesting you phat f**ker.

:think:
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GloriousBlue » Thu May 06, 2010 2:02 pm

Wenger can always sign Hilario or should I say Hilarious, for free! :hiding:

To be honest, I think a keeper like Buffon would be great for arsenal!
CHELSEA - CHAMPIONS OF ENGLAND!!!!!!!!

GloriousBlue
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby CynicalGooner » Thu May 06, 2010 2:20 pm

We all know deep down that Fabianski will be our no1 next season
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Liverpool_93 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:25 pm

Man i'd feel sorry for you's if Fabianski was!
Thing is he's probably got the potential to improve but Arsenal seriously do not have the time to sit around for him to get better.
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
Liverpool_93
Patrick Vieira

Postby CynicalGooner » Thu May 06, 2010 2:28 pm

I think Wenger just likes playing with a handicap. Makes wins sweeter or whatever his crazy logic is.

Or maybe he is just a glutton for punishment
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Leody » Thu May 06, 2010 5:32 pm

I'm going to cut my right leg off and enter a marathon next week...
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby GunnGunn » Thu May 06, 2010 8:27 pm

gooneritis wrote:
GunnGunn wrote:

:think:

Inside joke between me and Chv, you wern't invited, sorry ;)

And i would rather have Mannone than Almunia but its far from ideal.
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk