The case for a new goalkeeper

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: The case for a new goalkeeper

Postby Gunner Down Under » Tue May 25, 2010 9:15 am

gooneritis wrote:I'd be happy with green, he's english, experienced and better than what we have. he's a good keeper but still prone to f**k ups. we're not in a position to really screw our noses up at anyone.

True. Beggars can't be choosers.

If he's prone to stuff up it's still better than Almunia.
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby gooneritis » Tue May 25, 2010 9:28 am

Plymouth Gooner wrote:We were linked to Green at the end of last summer's window so I think he's the most likely.

we've been linked to him for ages, remember when he played for norwich at (keowns?) testimonial and saved keowns penalty, i remember reading articles about "future gunners goalkeeper spoils keowns happy ending" etc.
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby rogerthornhill » Tue May 25, 2010 9:34 am

I would be reasonably happy with Green but I would prefer Hart. It seems that our new keeper is going to be chosen on price with AW's frugal approach being the deciding factor.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Briggsy » Tue May 25, 2010 9:35 am

I would rather have professor Green or Rev Green or even Rev Gooner than him
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gooneritis » Tue May 25, 2010 10:54 am

rogerthornhill wrote:I would be reasonably happy with Green but I would prefer Hart. It seems that our new keeper is going to be chosen on price with AW's frugal approach being the deciding factor.

how do you know that?
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby rogerthornhill » Tue May 25, 2010 11:08 am

gooneritis wrote:
rogerthornhill wrote:I would be reasonably happy with Green but I would prefer Hart. It seems that our new keeper is going to be chosen on price with AW's frugal approach being the deciding factor.

how do you know that?

I can't be absolutely sure of it but I would say that it's a very safe bet. Anyway let me know if you know for sure that AW is about to pay a king's ransom for an absolutely top quality keeper.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GunnGunn » Tue May 25, 2010 11:14 am

rogerthornhill wrote:
gooneritis wrote:

how do you know that?

I can't be absolutely sure of it but I would say that it's a very safe bet. Anyway let me know if you know for sure that AW is about to pay a king's ransom for an absolutely top quality keeper.

Its extremely unlikely isn't it...
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby IMF » Tue May 25, 2010 11:29 am

I've ordered some gloves off eBay. Now I may not be the tallest but I will throw some fists about and accidentally punch some opposition players in the head while punching the ball out.

Can I play in goal now?
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby DJ Chuck-E » Tue May 25, 2010 12:16 pm

Please please PLEASE buy a good keeper... Ill always love my club, but its very hard to go along with philosophy that you don't have the slightest belief in... It is in fact, a nightmare, as you all no. It puts doubts in mind that we can win things when I see those average guys between the sticks. All 3 of our goalkeepers are not good enough, its a fact.
JTB & DJ Chuck-E website:http://www.jtbanddjchuck-e.co.uk
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/djchucke
BORN IN TO AN ARSENAL FAMILY, GOONER 4 LIFE!!!
DJ Chuck-E
Michael Thomas

Postby rogerthornhill » Wed May 26, 2010 9:25 am

Arsenal ready to make shock move for Fulham star
Published 23:00 25/05/10 By John Cross

Arsene Wenger is ready to turn to Fulham veteran Mark Schwarzer to solve his goalkeeper crisis.

MirrorFootball revealed on May 15 that Arsenal had scouted Schwarzer in Fulham's final two home games of the season.

And the 37-year-old has now moved up the pecking order after the Gunners were scared off other targets by sky high prices.

Arsenal have also looked at AZ Alkmaar's Sergio Romero and Shakhtar Donetsk keeper Andriy Pyatov but Wenger would rather stick with his current crop of keepers than pay over the odds for a new first choice.

But Wenger believes he may be able to get Schwarzer at a good price because of the Aussie international's age. He only has a one-year contract at Fulham and they may be willing to let him go.

Schwarzer would also be a good solution for Arsenal as Wenger does not want to sign a big-name who will block the progress of his emerging young keepers at the Emirates.

Arsenal have particularly high hopes for 20-year-old Polish Wojciech Szczesny, who spent last season on loan at Brentford and may be loaned out next year to a Championship club.

Wenger lost faith with Manuel Almunia at the end of last season and he missed the run-in, blaming a wrist injury. But Lukasz Fabianski's run of games ended in disaster after a string of mistakes.

Ironically, Schwarzer also made a mistake against Arsenal in Fulham's final game of the season as his blunder gifted the Gunners an opening goal in the Europa League finalists' defeat at the Emirates.

Arsenal have already brought in Marouane Chamakh on a Bosman-style free transfer from Bordeaux and, together with a new keeper, they also want a centre-half.

But they are definitely NOT interested in Fulham's Brede Hangeland. Wenger rates the giant Norwegian highly, but Hangeland is no longer on Arsenal's radar. But they are tracking Dynamo Kiev's Senegalese centre half Pape Diakhate.

Palermo's Danish defender Simon Kjaer is interesting several Premier League clubs but his £10m buy-out clause ends this month. William Gallas is set to quit the Gunners while Sol Campbell, 35, will sign a new one-year deal.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Ar ... 38987.html
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby liam_cork » Wed May 26, 2010 12:08 pm

i find it very worrying that flappy and almunia haven't been linked with moves away
arsene knows
liam_cork
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby IMF » Wed May 26, 2010 12:10 pm

I find it worrying that Wenger wants to buy a 37 year old keeper... the age Lehman was when he was dropped.
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby rogerthornhill » Wed May 26, 2010 1:06 pm

IMF wrote:I find it worrying that Wenger wants to buy a 37 year old keeper... the age Lehman was when he was dropped.

That's true but at least Schwarzer could do a job for a few seasons until someone else can come in.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Libertine » Wed May 26, 2010 1:11 pm

I'd rather have Green than Hart.

Green has several seasons of excellent performances behind him.
Hart has a single (albeit very impressive) season behind him.

It wasn't that long ago that Scott Carson and Ben Foster had impressive loan season's at Charlton and Watford.
They went back to Liverpool and Man Utd looking like being the first team keepers there for years to come and about to fight it out for the England keepers jersey.
Where are they now?

And who can forget Richard Wright.......
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Est83 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:24 pm

Hart will be the better keeper, but we all know Szczesny's gonna be the best keeper to have ever walked the earth :biggrin: so we only need someone for 3 years or so.

:icon_goal2:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk