Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Summer Transfer Window

Postby Ach » Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:04 pm

firfi wrote:
Ach wrote:Emery finishing 5th taking over a squad destroyed by wengeritis = stank out the joint

Arteta finishing 5th after spending hundreds of millions in his 3rd season = one of the top 10 seasons ever in arsenal history

Lol

All I'll say is last time this club met my expectations in a season was emerys one season. Challenge for top 4 and challenge for a trophy. Years of failed expectations since

HHAGHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll: :rofll:
Finishing 2nd in the league 2 seasons in row is failed expectation yep.We we're hoping to win the League ,but expecting and demanding when we're 1 draw instead of loss from winning is deluded to say.
Really like how you like to comment on the first seasons of Arteta when he was changing the whole squad ,but not on the last couple of seasons.

Last couple of seasons, my expectations were top 4 and a trophy in 22/23. Title or CL in 23/24.

Only 2 seasons under Arteta I've expected trophies. He's failed. You might like failure. I know others do. But I don't.

Remember there are people on here who think finishing 5th under Arteta is better than winning a title under another manager. Nothing to do with Arsenal. All to do with arteta can do no wrong
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby firfi » Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:05 pm

Ach wrote:
firfi wrote:
Ach wrote:Emery finishing 5th taking over a squad destroyed by wengeritis = stank out the joint

Arteta finishing 5th after spending hundreds of millions in his 3rd season = one of the top 10 seasons ever in arsenal history

Lol

All I'll say is last time this club met my expectations in a season was emerys one season. Challenge for top 4 and challenge for a trophy. Years of failed expectations since

Finishing 2nd in the league 2 seasons in row is failed expectation yep.We we're hoping to win the League ,but expecting and demanding when we're 1 draw instead of loss from winning is deluded to say.
Really like how you like to comment on the first seasons of Arteta when he was changing the whole squad ,but not on the last couple of seasons.

Last couple of seasons, my expectations were top 4 and a trophy in 22/23. Title or CL in 23/24.

Only 2 seasons under Arteta I've expected trophies. He's failed. You might like failure. I know others do. But I don't.

Remember there are people on here who think finishing 5th under Arteta is better than winning a title under another manager. Nothing to do with Arsenal. All to do with arteta can do no wrong

Not the biggest Arteta fan out there for sure ,but calling second with 89 points and QF in CL failure is just plain stupid.With a team build that can go for the next 4-5 seasons and challenge for sure.Im extremely dissapointed we finished second don't get me wrong ,but i can accept it and move on.I'd take finishing second 1 draw from winning and QF in CL and good squad over any top5 with FA CUP any day of the week.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Ach » Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:15 pm

So you're in the glorious failure over winning trophies brigade. Fair enough.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby firfi » Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:22 pm

Ach wrote:So you're in the glorious failure over winning trophies brigade. Fair enough.

You can say that ,but i'd put it more in the brigade where im happy as long as we have bright future instead of having 30+ years old and uncertain of how good we're gonna be next season.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:24 pm

Ach wrote:
firfi wrote:

Lol

So after slating the manager and club for Arteta's first two seasons and saying we're making no progress under him and failing in the transfer windows miserably, you reset your expectations to winning trophies including the league title.

Yeah - sure.

More likely - you just reset the goal posts in order to continue to slate Arteta.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:26 pm

firfi wrote:
Ach wrote:So you're in the glorious failure over winning trophies brigade. Fair enough.

You can say that ,but i'd put it more in the brigade where im happy as long as we have bright future instead of having 30+ years old and uncertain of how good we're gonna be next season.

You are basically with the vast majority of Arsenal fans as far as I can tell.

Back to transfers though.... I agree with you 100% that we've done a good job of lowering the age of the squad and rebuilding the club back up to a point where it is challenging for titles and we can go into seasons now with a good chance of actually winning a title - and, of course, we're back in the CL.
It's the transfers we've brought in that are a major driver of that and now we are in a much better place to tweak the squad season in season out to try and remain in a position to challenge over the next 4-5 years for major honours.

That is why I think who leaves is a key in terms of who comes in.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby TedLasso » Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:54 pm

McNicholas reporting that Arteta's preferred winger is Nico Williams but his salary would have to be north of 300k per week.

Meanwhile, Eze is just twiddling his thumbs down the road at Palace...
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby firfi » Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:56 pm

TedLasso wrote:McNicholas reporting that Arteta's preferred winger is Nico Williams but his salary would have to be north of 300k per week.

We'll never sign him in my opinion just the salary is too much will ruin the pay strcuture at Arsenal and they just won't do it its impossible deal.Not a single serious journalist would even imply that Arsenal have serious intention of signing him.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:59 pm

TedLasso wrote:McNicholas reporting that Arteta's preferred winger is Nico Williams but his salary would have to be north of 300k per week.

You'd have to think either Trossard or Martinelli were off if we really were looking at Williams.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby firfi » Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:02 pm

jayramfootball wrote:

You'd have to think either Trossard or Martinelli were off if we really were looking at Williams.

Doubt either one is off if we're signing Williams ,but more of hes gonna be starting and Martinelli is backup and he can start on the right side instead of Saka as well and Trossard would move into sub for 9/10/LW.More games this season with the new CL format etc.We need another Winger for sure highest priority i would say together with another midfielder.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:34 pm

This would be doable if Arteta didn't make a big stink about Auba's wages, only to turn around and give Kaisus £550k pw for their 'link up play'.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby TedLasso » Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:45 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:

This would be doable if Arteta didn't make a big stink about Auba's wages, only to turn around and give Kaisus £550k pw for their 'link up play'.

It's a doable salary for a star but not for a rotation piece. If we're truly going to compete with City, we'll eventually have to compete in salaries for the best in the world. Williams is good but not THAT good. Would much rather throw that kind of money at Kimmich or Musiala.
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby firfi » Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:48 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:

All im gonna say is thank for people like u are not running the club otherwise it would be bankrupt and in a mess like it was before Edu and Arteta.
You simply cannot give random player 300k salary after few good games no matter how good that player might turn out to be.There are squad of players that have proven in the club on less money and if someone new comes and proves to be not the best player in the team and suddenly every agent starts pointing out how hes on 300k and his player is on 120k and hes worth way more and the club can't ever win that argument and its slippery slope.

It's a doable salary for a star but not for a rotation piece. If we're truly going to compete with City, we'll eventually have to compete in salaries for the best in the world. Williams is good but not THAT good. Would much rather throw that kind of money at Kimmich or Musiala.[/quote]

All of them asside from Kimmich are insanely high risk compared to reward they can bring.Hes the only proven player out of the 3 named.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:05 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:Yes he did have 240 million invested in players, it’s completely correct to say that, but it was also quite clear that he often did not get the players he wanted and that the club did not make moves for those he wanted.

As a coach/manager if the club chooses to sign players that you don’t choose it makes it very hard to implement you methodology and plan as only you know how it should work and how you want it to work.

Actually we were 5th the season before and he was sacked within 3-4 months or so when we were 8th just 8 points of top 4, whilst we were in poor form I wouldn’t say the club was in a complete mess, it wasn’t a good season to that point but there was a lot of time left to turn it around as well.

Now I’m not arguing about him being sacked, I will however point to the double standards when the manager that followed him did worse and still kept his job.

I will also say I think it’s quite clear that Emery really didn’t get the full backing of the club.

I think most would agree that Arteta should have been sacked after his first 12 or so months in charge.
That he was given a chance beyond that , whilst Emery was not, is not relevant at all to the assessment of the job Emery did.
Emery did a terrible job, failed and was sacked.
It's that simple.

'it's not fair because Arteta got more time' is not an excuse.

You are assessing Emery on 13 games, thats a bag of foolishness and you know it ! You are digging your heels in knowing full well that you are wrong !

Emery in his only full season finished 5th, Arteta in his first full season finished 8th, thats the only thing you can compare the 2 managers on. the other thing are head to heads and with 2 significantly inferior teams Emery has beaten Arteta almost every single time (Villareal and Aston Villa) !

Emery also got Villa into the CL after one full season, it took Arteta 3 full seasons with better players.

Everywhere you look Emery hands Arteta's arse to him !

Mate, no one in their right mind thinks Emery was anything other than a failure at Arsenal.
It's not me digging my heels in - it's you.
How can you possibly argue this point!

Judging on 13 games? Really.
So 5th was a success the year before was it? Seems like a bit of a goal post shift in standards.
I'll remind you that we scored 71 goals that year and conceded 51! 51!!. We achieved 70 points.
The defence was a shambles with clown like errors occurring continuously.

Seriously, step out of the Twighlight Zone.

Firfi's point was a not a comparison between Emery and Arteta - which you seem obsessed with. It's not relevant.
He merely pointed out that Emery stank out the joint when here and he was correct.

So what ?!!

He improved on Wenger's 6th place and finished 1 point from 4th, all while taking over a fully Wenger squad, he kept us in Europe and it was a step forward. I don't care about the goals scored or conceded, the fact is with those goals scored and conceded we finished 5th and in Europe. Where did we finish with Arteta ? 8th and no Europe !

We played the worst football I have ever seen ANY Arsenal team play that season we scored a paltry 55 goals FFS

Arteta stank out the place far far far more than Emery did, so you tell me what the point is ! He/you are defending Arteta while failing to acknowledge that Arteta did far worse than Emery, given the squad Arteta inherited was better than the squad Emery inherited.
Last edited by theHotHead on Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:06 pm

firfi wrote:

Lol

Why would he comment on the last few seasons when we are discussing the shitness of Arteta versus the shitness of Emery ?!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk