Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Summer Transfer Window

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:17 pm

firfi wrote:
Ach wrote:So you're in the glorious failure over winning trophies brigade. Fair enough.

You can say that ,but i'd put it more in the brigade where im happy as long as we have bright future instead of having 30+ years old and uncertain of how good we're gonna be next season.

Thats fine - but it was you that shit on Emery to boost Arteta and I am not having it !

Arteta was far worse than Emery, Arteta was breaking all sorts of negative records in he 2020/2/1 season, fewest shots, fewest shots on goal, least chances created, etc etc, we were dreadful. In the history of the Prem we have not been as low as 15th at Christmas, so since the 1992/93 season.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:18 pm

TedLasso wrote:McNicholas reporting that Arteta's preferred winger is Nico Williams but his salary would have to be north of 300k per week.

Meanwhile, Eze is just twiddling his thumbs down the road at Palace...

I like Williams, he looks explosive, but he is having a laugh with £300K, let some other mug have him
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:32 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:Yes he did have 240 million invested in players, it’s completely correct to say that, but it was also quite clear that he often did not get the players he wanted and that the club did not make moves for those he wanted.

As a coach/manager if the club chooses to sign players that you don’t choose it makes it very hard to implement you methodology and plan as only you know how it should work and how you want it to work.

Actually we were 5th the season before and he was sacked within 3-4 months or so when we were 8th just 8 points of top 4, whilst we were in poor form I wouldn’t say the club was in a complete mess, it wasn’t a good season to that point but there was a lot of time left to turn it around as well.

Now I’m not arguing about him being sacked, I will however point to the double standards when the manager that followed him did worse and still kept his job.

I will also say I think it’s quite clear that Emery really didn’t get the full backing of the club.

I think most would agree that Arteta should have been sacked after his first 12 or so months in charge.
That he was given a chance beyond that , whilst Emery was not, is not relevant at all to the assessment of the job Emery did.
Emery did a terrible job, failed and was sacked.
It's that simple.

'it's not fair because Arteta got more time' is not an excuse.

You are assessing Emery on 13 games, thats a bag of foolishness and you know it ! You are digging your heels in knowing full well that you are wrong !

Emery in his only full season finished 5th, Arteta in his first full season finished 8th, thats the only thing you can compare the 2 managers on. the other thing are head to heads and with 2 significantly inferior teams Emery has beaten Arteta almost every single time (Villareal and Aston Villa) !

Emery also got Villa into the CL after one full season, it took Arteta 3 full seasons with better players.

Everywhere you look Emery hands Arteta's arse to him !

Mate, no one in their right mind thinks Emery was anything other than a failure at Arsenal.
It's not me digging my heels in - it's you.
How can you possibly argue this point!

Judging on 13 games? Really.
So 5th was a success the year before was it? Seems like a bit of a goal post shift in standards.
I'll remind you that we scored 71 goals that year and conceded 51! 51!!. We achieved 70 points.
The defence was a shambles with clown like errors occurring continuously.

Seriously, step out of the Twighlight Zone.

Firfi's point was a not a comparison between Emery and Arteta - which you seem obsessed with. It's not relevant.
He merely pointed out that Emery stank out the joint when here and he was correct.

So what ?!!

He improved on Wenger's 6th place and finished 1 point from 4th, all while taking over a fully Wenger squad, he kept us in Europe and it was a step forward. I don't care about the goals scored or conceded, the fact is with those goals scored and conceded we finished 5th and in Europe. Where did we finish with Arteta ? 8th and no Europe !

We played the worst football I have ever seen ANY Arsenal team play that season we scored a paltry 55 goals FFS

Arteta stank out the place far far far more than Emery did, so you tell me what the point is ! He/you are defending Arteta while failing to acknowledge that Arteta did far worse than Emery, given the squad Arteta inherited was better than the squad Emery inherited.

We all know we were shite under Areta until the point he gave up on the shower of shit in the squad.
We all wanted him sacked.

It's totally irrelevant to Emery's performance - which was shite and left our club in a mess.

Which of Emery's term or Arteta's first 12 months or so was the most shite is one of the most pointless conversations imaginable, now that Arteta (amongst others) have revitalised our club.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ag6789 » Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:37 pm

Emery's last few months at Arsenal: Last 17 games:
6wins, 5 draws and 6 defeats. 23goals scored and 26 conceded.
During his final season,he used more players (35) and more half time substitution (32players) than any other manager in PL. His erosion of authority led him to make alarming number of changes and created an unsettling atmosphere in the dressing room.
He dismantled Wenger' s squad by letting go experienced players like Montreal, Ramsey, Mikhterean, Koscielny and tried to replace them with ageing defenders like Luiz, Papa and greenhorns in the midfield like Guandouzi,Willock, Ceballos and Denis Suarez. Only competent midfielders were Xhahka and Torreira.
His unsound tactics led to heavy defeats against Liverpool and ManCity.
All these happenings within last 3-4 months of his tenure led to his removal as head coach from Arsenal.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Maiso » Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:39 pm

VCC wrote:
firfi wrote:Really like how everyone bashes on Arteta and before it was on Emery and before that it was on Wenger and out of the 3 managers the only failure was Emery and big time at that he was clueless.

Meanwhile we've had our best season since 2005-06 and thats close to 20 years ago.We've achieved the second highest points tally the club has achieved and the most goals scored in a season.
Thats not a trophy ,but it as close as it gets without getting it.
Let's not forget how we we're 1 draw away from winning the league and Newcastle's goal where the ball was out of play and then there was foul against Gabriel and stuff like that and on top of everything 92nd min Liverpool should've had penalty in 20 out of 20 cases vs City and countless times the referees helped them.

We failed in the CL ,but we need lots of exp for that tournament there is a reason RM won it so many times and its due to experience.

Honestly everyone wants a striker ,but there isnt one on the market thats good enough.We need someone like Nico Williams ,but kinda doubt we're gonna get him considering he wants Barca and is currently on some crazy salary in the ball park of 260k pw.

I was reading until the Emery was clue less and the only failure.
Arteta only title an FA cup was with an Emery side
Emery went to a European final.
Now if being runner up in the league is success then 2nd in a European trophy must be also ?
Can't have your cake and eat it, and I was very much Emery out but let's not turn history.
Emery was handed a poison chalice if Arteta had been handed that same team straight after AW I truly beleive he wouldn't be here now.

Arteta and Emery were both handed the same nonsense squad full of lunatic players, average players, poor players, deadwood players etc. A squad full of lazy scroungers that had hit the jackpot at Arsenal. A squad with many mayhem stirrers. A squad full of mentally weak / poor players. They both inherited a very toxic environment (Dressing room and fanbase). A squad full of “Do fck all” but still get paid handsomely kind of players.. It was a joke.

In my own opinion the difference between both men was their “Personalities”..
Emery projected weakness all over. He let the players dictate to him. For such an experienced manager, he gave into player’s demands and tactics. He also gave into our sensationalist / emotional fans. That is a recipe for disaster. No company is going to tolerate that sort of weakness from their manager. You are a manager for a reason. You are in charge of the players, not the player being in charge. But it unfortunately showed that Emery is not a big club manager.

Then entered fresh faced 40 something year old Arteta. To start off, he was an amateur, a rookie that had no experience managing a club. But what did he do? He projected authority, maturity, a no nonsense attitude etc. He straight away marked his territory like a real Alpha / Pack leader. And that projected assurance and strength inside the dressing room, at the club, amongst the fanbase and in the media. He owned the place. Then all the usual suspects (mayhem stirrers) / players and our sensationalist fans tried their same nonsense on him thinking it will work once again. It worked on Wenger, got him sacked. It worked on Emery, got him sacked. Worked on interim (Ljumberg) got him sacked. So they thought the same would work on Arteta too. He stood up and told all the lunatic players and Doomers to calm their skins down, be good boys and girls and deal with it..

That’s how I’ve always interpreted both of the Emery vs Arteta) tenures. Their Personalities are what decided their fate at Arsenal.
Maiso
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Maiso » Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:37 pm

theHotHead wrote:
firfi wrote:Really like how everyone bashes on Arteta and before it was on Emery and before that it was on Wenger and out of the 3 managers the only failure was Emery and big time at that he was clueless.

Meanwhile we've had our best season since 2005-06 and thats close to 20 years ago.We've achieved the second highest points tally the club has achieved and the most goals scored in a season.
Thats not a trophy ,but it as close as it gets without getting it.
Let's not forget how we we're 1 draw away from winning the league and Newcastle's goal where the ball was out of play and then there was foul against Gabriel and stuff like that and on top of everything 92nd min Liverpool should've had penalty in 20 out of 20 cases vs City and countless times the referees helped them.

We failed in the CL ,but we need lots of exp for that tournament there is a reason RM won it so many times and its due to experience.

Honestly everyone wants a striker ,but there isnt one on the market thats good enough.We need someone like Nico Williams ,but kinda doubt we're gonna get him considering he wants Barca and is currently on some crazy salary in the ball park of 260k pw.

You are determined to get the idiot of the month title aren't you !!!

How was Emery a failure ?

He finished 5th in his first full season, a point from 4th, Arteta finished 8th in his first full season. Emery knocked Arsenal out of the Europa League across 2 legs, he has faced Emery 5 times, won once, drawn once and lost 3 times !!! Arteta should've been sacked in December 2020 for being a far bigger dufus than Emery ever was !

Arteta won his FA Cup with Emery's players ... he has not won zip with his own players, better players.

Thank Fck that this was the minority view back then and still remains the ultimate minority view today..
The club for once showed a bit of intelligence when they did not give into the minority asking for Arteta to be sacked in 2020. And my estimation of The Kroenke’s / Edu went up another notch in 2021/22 when we bottled 4th place Spurs. I remember that abysmal run in April 2022 where we lost three game on the bounce (Palace, Brighton and Southampton). Then the Doomers were once again out fantasising about Arteta being sacked. But the club handed him a brand new contract in that same April at the back of those 3 losses. In that moment too the club showed maturity, intelligence and competence by offering Arteta a new contract (IMO).

So my estimation for The Kroenke’s and Edu kept growing after those 2 tough episodes (End of 2020 and that 2021/22 season). They went with their logic, reasoning capacity and intellectualism instead of giving into emotions and sensationalism.
Maiso
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Maiso » Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:15 pm

And what’s all this reminiscing about Emery all of a sudden from a particular section?
Wasn’t it the same Arsenal fans that hounded him out in the first place? They called for him to be sacked because he was shit, average, poor and a joke manager back that shouldn’t have been hired in the first place. They wanted him sacked immediately.
Can I bet that the people trying to use Emery as another Talking Point to discredit Arteta were the same individuals that were the biggest cheerleaders for Emery to be sacked back then? They were constantly advocating for Emery to be disrespected, mocked consistently, encouraged certain players and our fans to continue undermining his authority throughout. They made it so unattainable for the man to have any breathing space in order to concentrate on his job. Constantly mocking his Accent and English, making fun of his teeth (lol). But because their anti Arteta agenda is so entrenched, they are now even willing to paint Emery in a much more rosey picture. All for the sake of advancing their never ending Arteta Doomer agenda.. :P

I just don’t get it with some of our fans. They behave like they have goldfish sized brains (easily forget what they were saying a day or so ago).

Just substitute Emery’s name with Arteta’s name in the 2019/2020 season and read those comments back then. The way the fans treated Emery is the exact way they treated Arteta from the 2020/21 season. Same sensationalistic rhetoric. And if it was not for Arteta being strong minded plus the club getting back to their senses. Arteta would have gone the same way as Emery..
Maiso
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby firfi » Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:35 pm

Actually Arteta deserved to be sacked after that losing streak , but it just so happened to be a good decision to keep him.
Objectively speaking he showed that he didn't have the required experience to manage a club of that size at that stage of his career ,but hes improved alot since then and im glad they gave him time.Ultilately i don't think anyone should be sacked without viable replacement just to be sacked.This is what happened to Wenger he was sacked just to be sacked and we didn't have replacement lined up just happened to stumble on Emery and obviously we all know what happened.
Football is results business and sometimes u might be great at ur job ,but after poor run of form its better to change the manager.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Ach » Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:55 pm

There have been plenty of occasions Arteta should've been sacked but we have a shit board for a reason
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:56 pm

Ach wrote:There have been plenty of occasions Arteta should've been sacked but we have a shit board for a reason

Nah - never been a consideration for anyone serious since 21.
He's long since proven his doubters wrong.
The dredges of unserious people remain.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby firfi » Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:07 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Ach wrote:There have been plenty of occasions Arteta should've been sacked but we have a shit board for a reason

Btw if he finishes outside top3 and fails in 1/8 finals in the CL he should be sacked on the spot.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Ach » Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:15 pm

firfi wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Btw if he finishes outside top3 and fails in 1/8 finals in the CL he should be sacked on the spot.

He should but won't be. Worst board in the business. Edu is regularly mocked by the clubs own fans ffs

Another season of failure and the fans patience will be very thin. He's survived many sackable incidents so far. Not sure how many he has left.

At least one a season
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:29 pm

Bring olmo home
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:30 pm

Representatives of 26-year-old Spaniard Dani Olmo have informed Arsenal and Tottenham that they can sign the RB Leipzig playmaker for £50 million.

According to a report by Graeme Bailey on TBR Football, Dani Olmo will be available for £50 million in the summer transfer window. The Spaniard has a release clause in his contract with RB Leipzig, and his representatives have informed suitors like Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur that they can secure his services for that sum.

Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby firfi » Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:49 pm

Ach wrote:
firfi wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

He should but won't be. Worst board in the business. Edu is regularly mocked by the clubs own fans ffs

Another season of failure and the fans patience will be very thin. He's survived many sackable incidents so far. Not sure how many he has left.

At least one a season

Edu is doing one of the best jobs in the business.Top2 in the league for sure , no idea why he gets so much mockery by the fans.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk