You make your own luck!

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: You make your own luck!

Postby Leody » Mon May 16, 2011 11:22 pm

We've played badly in far more than just one game this season mate...
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Epic Fail » Mon May 16, 2011 11:25 pm

I was responding to the previous poster.

My point is that there are somethings we just can't control. Defending, yes that's our fault. The bizarre nature of our medical staff, where people go in for a week and come out 2 years later, again is our fault. But we can't make the ref have a good/bad game, we can't control how the opposition play (to an extent). It's not luck, because it really doesn't exist, but it is beyond our control.
Epic Fail
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Tue May 17, 2011 4:18 am

shon wrote:we are clutching at straws now i dont give a flying f**k what anyone else thinks but when we have lost leads all year long we are simply not good enough for f**k sake we lost a four goal lead.

no mate, watch the game, we conceeded one fair goal and they should have had Barton and Nolan sent of 5 times between them
we have played poorly at times this season, but we were robbed blind in the Newcastle game
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

You make your own luck!

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue May 17, 2011 6:00 am

Epic Fail wrote:we can't control how the opposition play (to an extent).

We can adapt our tactics - thats an example of how to 'make your own luck!'
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Tue May 17, 2011 6:21 am

Plymouth Gooner wrote:

not when the opposition is Howard Webb
no amount of tactics can help you when your opposition decides what the rules are
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:00 pm

A horrid combination of injuries, bad calls, woeful tactics, and negligence/unpreparedness, all occurring at the worst possible times, led to our trophyless campaign.

Wenger: Thank goodness for excuses to hide behind :hiding:
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Epic Fail » Tue May 17, 2011 10:25 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:

That still doesn't guarantee anything. There are some factors we can't control, however well we play or how good our tactics may be.
Epic Fail
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

You make your own luck!

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue May 17, 2011 10:37 pm

Take your chances and don't concede sloppy goals and the poor decisions by refs dont matter as much.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Wed May 18, 2011 12:23 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:Take your chances and don't concede sloppy goals and the poor decisions by refs dont matter as much.

Agreed, and it ain't as if we didn't have a bunch of decisions go our way either, cause we did.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Re: You make your own luck!

Postby Leody » Wed May 18, 2011 2:05 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Plymouth Gooner wrote:Take your chances and don't concede sloppy goals and the poor decisions by refs dont matter as much.

Agreed, and it ain't as if we didn't have a bunch of decisions go our way either, cause we did.

Yeah I remember a couple of times I felt a little guilty about a penalty we got... didn't complain though.

I will say though, the one at Newcastle against us... where Rosicky and Kos I think it was jumped straight up, I still for the life of me can't even figure out what the ref thought he saw. The other three goals you can't complain about though.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Re: Re: You make your own luck!

Postby StLGooner » Wed May 18, 2011 2:20 pm

Leody wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

Yeah I remember a couple of times I felt a little guilty about a penalty we got... didn't complain though.

I will say though, the one at Newcastle against us... where Rosicky and Kos I think it was jumped straight up, I still for the life of me can't even figure out what the ref thought he saw. The other three goals you can't complain about though.

Yeah, that was one that went against us, but the other shouldn't have happened, and Diaby should'nt have been so stupid, and it would've only been 4-1 then.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Re: Re: You make your own luck!

Postby Leody » Wed May 18, 2011 2:26 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Leody wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

Yeah, that was one that went against us, but the other shouldn't have happened, and Diaby should'nt have been so stupid, and it would've only been 4-1 then.

Agreed. That's really the only call all year I seriously take exception to, the rest while questionable can at least be chalked up to honest human error.

Oh and the RVP 2nd yellow... that was a f***ing joke too.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Re: Re: Re: You make your own luck!

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Wed May 18, 2011 5:31 pm

Leody wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
Leody wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

Agreed. That's really the only call all year I seriously take exception to, the rest while questionable can at least be chalked up to honest human error.

Oh and the RVP 2nd yellow... that was a f***ing joke too.

I'd say most of the decisions in the Newcastle game were very very questionable
there are some utter bafflers in there, and not just their second penalty
the free kick that led to theif 4th for instance, blatant blatant dive
there are also of course the shocking tackles that Barton didn't even get booked for
and Nolan getting Cheese in a headlock and flinging him to the ground and Cheese gets booked
also, a tackle on RVP early in the first half, that was somehow a Newcastle free kick

I have absoultely no doubt in my mind that Phil Dowd was paid off for that match, there is no other way he could have made that volume and that magnitude of very poor decisions
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:10 pm

I feel the result is very harsh on us. The decider was the sending off and as well the offside goal, it was the decider of the game.

At the start of the season we have a heavy schedule compared to other teams because we play the qualifier on Wednesday night. That has an impact as well - we have five big games when the team is not completely ready.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... r-reaction

Still the excuses keep coming. Still Wenger says it is down to luck. You make your own luck! You do that by finishing 3rd not 4th and not having to qualify. You do that by signing the players we need.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby JordanTheGunner » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:15 pm

Your favourite saying PG but I agree here, he needed to prepare, to be ready, he has not done that, losing leads to PSG, Boca should of shown that and it was his job to abide and get the squad ready, he has failed but lucky for him he has just over 10 days.
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk