https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 54511.html

Corbyn and Wenger 2 losers together.
fredd1
Charlie George
Charlie George

Re: WENGER OUT

Postby Arsene Nose » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:44 pm

Vote Labour. Support your local AKB.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Andrew » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:15 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:Image

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Brilliant
Making good men better----->PM
Andrew
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zedie » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:39 pm

I get why a lot of people still support Wenger. He's been at the club for so long, there's a decent section of the fan base that have only ever known him and it will seem strange when he leaves regardless of what side of the fence you're on. If you can say one thing about him, he's arsenal through and through to a fault.

My biggest issue with him is that he's now had his time without having to scrimp and save because of board targets. He's too attached to certain players that he has raised since the under 10s and he's letting the club coast towards the position we are in now.

Not quite good enough to truly challenge, too good to drop to the lower tier.

He can show flexibility in tactics. A lot of his critics on this board haven't said a peep about his subs and shape change v koln or Chelsea or bournemouth.

Neither have they said anything much about his halftime subs etc ie doing what he needs to do in that regard.

Having said all that, he's time went a few seasons ago when he failed to push the club to actually back him in the transfer market or for him to back the club with the signings we needed yet again.

He's just too stubborn on a lot of things to move the club forward and it's showing a lot now. He won't go all out in the market to get the players we need. He won't get rid of players who just wont take us to next levels.

Kronke is the biggest issue for me simply because a competent owner would have called it quits a long time ago.

We simply need someone new to come in and expose the exact causes of our internal issues. At a minimum they may be able to get something more out of the team. At a max, they could actually show fans what kronke is actually doing to the club.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby PairyGrows » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:01 pm

All this talk about Wenger's experience, talent, class and consistency are all fine and dandy, but they don't address the key concern of many regular posters of this thread. Namely; can Wenger bring back the glory days at least temporarily?

In my view, it's all going to boil down to three questions:

1. Can Wenger build a title-winning squad by maneuvering deftly in the transfer market?

2. Can Wenger improve our game systematically in the long term?

3. Can Wenger create an environment which cultivates a title-winning mentality?

We must be honest with ourselves. The answer to each question is a resounding 'no'. Wenger has failed in each of these tasks. The squad management is a mess, the game hasn't been improved and our apparent weak mentality is well-known.

It'a so obvious we're not headed towards a bright future with Wenger. Is he able to take us forward, or does he just not care? Either way, he's not doing a good job to convince any of us.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Andrew » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:01 am

Zedie wrote:I get why a lot of people still support Wenger. He's been at the club for so long, there's a decent section of the fan base that have only ever known him and it will seem strange when he leaves regardless of what side of the fence you're on. If you can say one thing about him, he's arsenal through and through to a fault.

My biggest issue with him is that he's now had his time without having to scrimp and save because of board targets. He's too attached to certain players that he has raised since the under 10s and he's letting the club coast towards the position we are in now.

He can show flexibility in tactics. A lot of his critics on this board haven't said a peep about his subs and shape change v koln or Chelsea or bournemouth.

Neither have they said anything much about his halftime subs etc ie doing what he needs to do in that regard.

Having said all that, he's time went a few seasons ago when he failed to push the club to actually back him in the transfer market or for him to back the club with the signings we needed yet again.

He's just too stubborn on a lot of things to move the club forward and it's showing a lot now. He won't go all out in the market to get the players we need. He won't get rid of players who just wont take us to next levels.

Kronke is the biggest issue for me simply because a competent owner would have called it quits a long time ago.

We simply need someone new to come in and expose the exact causes of our internal issues. At a minimum they may be able to get something more out of the team. At a max, they could actually show fans what kronke is actually doing to the club.

:clap: very reasonable post.

You've moved over to the dark side, but still one of the few good posters around.
Making good men better----->PM
Andrew
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsene Nose » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:47 am

Jonkers and Ljungberg fired by Wolfsburg.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:29 am

Zedie wrote:I get why a lot of people still support Wenger. He's been at the club for so long, there's a decent section of the fan base that have only ever known him and it will seem strange when he leaves regardless of what side of the fence you're on. If you can say one thing about him, he's arsenal through and through to a fault.

You are absolutely joking about the text I highlighted. Tactical flexibility when you hit rock bottom and with a fanbase calling for blood is not actual tactical flexibility, its called DESPERATION ! If he was tactically flexible he would have demonstrated it long ago !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:24 am

Largely irrelevant.
Football has changed with the amount of money involved. The same clubs are always at the top now and that change started to happen at the birth of the PL. Look at City and Chelsea. As soon as money flooded the game, they have been in the top places year after year with a slew of different managers.
Wenger has underachieved for most of his career at Arsenal. There is even an argument to be had that he underachieved in his good times - we never won the CL and we never won the league back to back, something Utd and Chelsea managed with (imo) far inferior teams to the Arsenal team of the late 90's to early 2000's.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby CaptGooner » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:57 am

jayramfootball wrote:

Largely irrelevant.
Football has changed with the amount of money involved. The same clubs are always at the top now and that change started to happen at the birth of the PL. Look at City and Chelsea. As soon as money flooded the game, they have been in the top places year after year with a slew of different managers.
Wenger has underachieved for most of his career at Arsenal. There is even an argument to be had that he underachieved in his good times - we never won the CL and we never won the league back to back, something Utd and Chelsea managed with (imo) far inferior teams to the Arsenal team of the late 90's to early 2000's.

Agreed. With the amount of talent we've had over the years we should have won much more.
CaptGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:55 pm

Would you give him a two year contract if he wins the EL?
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:39 pm

theHotHead wrote:

You are absolutely joking about the text I highlighted. Tactical flexibility when you hit rock bottom and with a fanbase calling for blood is not actual tactical flexibility, its called DESPERATION ! If he was tactically flexible he would have demonstrated it long ago !

He has done in the past only you won't admit it. It's a shame that you have to resort to acknowledging and denying his tactical changes this season. How has it played out in your head?

Fans were booing for him to take holding off at half time and switch back to 4321?

Ok mate.

If he was tactically inflexible, he would have stuck to the formation he started with.

Or is that also bollocks? :doh:
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Zedie, read my previous response. Now take into account something you yourself just wrote, "Fans were booing for him to take Holding off at half time and switch to 4321". He changed the formation due to desperation not because he is a tactical don. If he was good tactically it wouldn't have taken the fans booing for him to make the change.

Lets list the formation changes over the years, I'm not listing the adaptations of the main formations.
1998-2010(ish) 4-4-2.
2010(ish) to 2016 4-3-3
2016 to 2017 4-3-3 and 3-5-2

During the 4-4-2 years he never changed shit. Loss vs Barca in the CL final prompted first change.
During the 4-3-3 years he never changed shit. Worst season under his management prompted the next change.
During 2016/2017 the very real threat of not finishing in the top 4 for the first time in his management with us after a string of dog shite performances forced him to make a change. And now again in the last game he was forced to make a change because we were dog shit.

So contrary to me not admitting his past tactical/formational changes, I have noted them and every time he made the change was because we lost or were shit and NOT because he is tactically flexible.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Denis_E » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:49 pm

theHotHead wrote:Zedie, read my previous response. Now take into account something you yourself just wrote, "Fans were booing for him to take Holding off at half time and switch to 4321". He changed the formation due to desperation not because he is a tactical don. If he was good tactically it wouldn't have taken the fans booing for him to make the change.

Lets list the formation changes over the years, I'm not listing the adaptations of the main formations.
1998-2010(ish) 4-4-2.
2010(ish) to 2016 4-3-3
2016 to 2017 4-3-3 and 3-5-2

During the 4-4-2 years he never changed shit. Loss vs Barca in the CL final prompted first change.
During the 4-3-3 years he never changed shit. Worst season under his management prompted the next change.
During 2016/2017 the very real threat of not finishing in the top 4 for the first time in his management with us after a string of dog shite performances forced him to make a change. And now again in the last game he was forced to make a change because we were dog shit.

So contrary to me not admitting his past tactical/formational changes, I have noted them and every time he made the change was because we lost or were shit and NOT because he is tactically flexible.

Top post

Ahh the myths of wenger will not die sadly
'A friend to all is a friend to none'
Denis_E
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:52 pm

Anyone trying to credit Wenger for reverting to 3 at the back is having a laugh

We went there because we copied Conte. That's it. The formation doesn't really fit us, and we've so far this season shown that we are much better with 4 at the back, and a standard formation. But we won't do it because Wenger doesn't do tactics
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Past competitions and posts