Oleksander Zinchenko (35)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Official: Welcome to Arsenal, Oleksander Zinchenko

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:14 pm

He will play LB and that's fine. We needed somebody with his mix of PL experience and relative youth. He was the superior option to Martinez, who Utd overpaid for because ETH needs Ajax players.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:16 pm

Will be happy if he's the new starting CM.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:41 pm

Pretty sure he’ll be LB primarily as Xhaka is Arteta’s number 1.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby ag6789 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:06 pm

Either way he should be fine. If Torreira stays we'll have many options in the midfield.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:15 pm

Salibatelli wrote:Pretty sure he’ll be LB primarily as Xhaka is Arteta’s number 1.

I think so too, the Tierney injury situation forced our hand here. No way could we have started the season with only Tavares/Cedric as LB options. I'm glad we moved quickly.

We are stacked with CMs, 4 to pick from even if the club suspends somebody. No need to add another chef to the kitchen. He'll be more dangerous as an overlapping FB behind ESR/Martinelli
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:31 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Re: Official: Welcome to Arsenal, Oleksander Zinchenkoy

Postby swipe right » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:14 pm

Why do we need this Frimpon guy? Get rid.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:20 pm

Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Fran Solo » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:48 am

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:Pretty sure he’ll be LB primarily as Xhaka is Arteta’s number 1.

I think so too, the Tierney injury situation forced our hand here. No way could we have started the season with only Tavares/Cedric as LB options. I'm glad we moved quickly.

We are stacked with CMs, 4 to pick from even if the club suspends somebody. No need to add another chef to the kitchen. He'll be more dangerous as an overlapping FB behind ESR/Martinelli

Zinchenko is not an exceptional defender, but yeah, he is the type of players Arteta like. Just look at our defenders. Most of them are good on the ball, can sneak in some killer passes forward, but not especially great at defending. This is not necessarily a bad thing because I am fine with sacrificing a bit of defending quality with more focus on attacking. I think we should be ready to see our players giving the ball to the opposition or getting skinned by opposition's forwards. But I'm fine with that as long as we are productive enough on the other side of the pitch.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby swipe right » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:00 am

Ach wrote:https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/zinchenko-right-leave-man-city-arsenal-arteta-guardiola/bltc75e39bb0bf9ada1

I wouldn’t trust a word Guardiola says. If he thought Zinchenko’s natural position was attacking midfielder why didn’t he play him there? In the time Zinchenko has been at City, Guardiola has bought Berbardo, Gundogan and elevated Foden. Seems like a case of not good enough for us, but he’ll do fine for you lot.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Fran Solo » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:03 am

swipe right wrote:
Ach wrote:https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/zinchenko-right-leave-man-city-arsenal-arteta-guardiola/bltc75e39bb0bf9ada1

I wouldn’t trust a word Guardiola says. If he thought Zinchenko’s natural position was attacking midfielder why didn’t he play him there? In the time Zinchenko has been at City, Guardiola has bought Berbardo, Gundogan and elevated Foden. Seems like a case of not good enough for us, but he’ll do fine for you lot.

To be fair, I don't mine the not-good-enough-for-us-but-will-be-fine-for-you scenario because I think he will improve our squad. Same as Jesus.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:55 am

This is probably the first time I have disagreed with one of your posts.

Stacked with numbers, not stacked with quality. For where Arsenal need to be only Partey and Torreira have the quality to be nailed on starters, Xhaka shouldn't be at the club and Elneny is an able backup CM.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:57 am

theHotHead wrote:

This is probably the first time I have disagreed with one of your posts.

Stacked with numbers, not stacked with quality. For where Arsenal need to be only Partey and Torreira have the quality to be nailed on starters, Xhaka shouldn't be at the club and Elneny is an able backup CM.

I'm looking at it from Arteta's perspective. He rates Xhaka and Partey, so they will always play; Xhaka has been shadow captain ever since the contract extension anyway so he is undroppable.

Elneny and Sambi are rated as well so they are second in line if the above are unavailable. Torreira is not rated, and won't ever take the field in Arsenal colours again while Arteta is manager.

That's why I'm certain that Zinchenko will play LB. Tets knows the Tavares buy was a mistake and he needs a recognized player in that position.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:03 pm

He will play LB until Tienery is fit then hopefully we see him at CM instead of Xhaka

Zinchenko - Partey - Odegaard

Thats a acceptable midfield 3.

We should go for a proper 433 this season.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:50 pm

He's got 35?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk