The Run in and Top 4, 2022

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: The Run in and Top 4, 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Tue May 17, 2022 11:07 am

TedLasso wrote:6 points from 24 against the top four.

21 points from 24 against teams 6-9 in the table.

8 points from 24 against teams 10-13.

31 points from 36 against the bottom seven.

That' the killer for top 4 in bold.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Tue May 17, 2022 11:09 am

theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:Four seasons later we finish where Wenger left us. And it’s considered a major achievement.

This post deserves to be quoted time and time and time again !

So here it is folks, qualification for a second rate European trophy and being miles away from challenging for the big prizes. this is why we left Highbury .... this is why we sacked Wenger ..... this is why we sacked Emery .....

This is what some have called progress :rofll:

May as well go back to 2003/4 then
We were invincible in the league.

So unless we do that again and win more than that year, that's it - we may as well pack up and sack managers every year.

We've gone from 11th in the table when Arteta took over as manager to 5th and very close to top 4.
That's factual and can only be considered significant progress.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue May 17, 2022 11:13 am

Nuggets wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:Four seasons later we finish where Wenger left us. And it’s considered a major achievement.

So here it is folks, qualification for a second rate European trophy and being miles away from challenging for the big prizes. this is why we left Highbury .... this is why we sacked Wenger ..... this is why we sacked Emery .....

Only a numb-nuts would call this progress. ;)

The goalposts shifted. Now the talking points are essentially parroting club PR justifying the new contract:

- anything above 8th is an improvement

- toxic players gone, wages saved

- "youngest average age squad in the PL" trophy secured

- players are united behind the manager (clearly nonsense if you saw Xhaka's post match comments)
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Salibatelli » Tue May 17, 2022 11:39 am

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

So unless we do that again and win more than that year, that's it - we may as well pack up and sack managers every year.

We've gone from 11th in the table when Arteta took over as manager to 5th and very close to top 4.

Emery was our last manager, a guy we got rid of because we didn’t think he was good enough.

Arteta had to do better than him and he hasn’t, he’s had a year longer as well.

2 1/2 years is plenty enough for a manager to prove his worth, Arteta hasn’t, despite the clubs full backing (something Emery didn’t have), it’s all been very underwhelming.

This should be it with him, we should have tried someone new, instead we’ve given him a new contract.

13 losses, no Europe for the first time in 25 years (thanks to him), worst defeat to Spurs in the PL era, 240 million spent, countless transfer millions wasted due to his overly ruthless approach with players.

Knocked out of the FA cup early meaning we had no cups to contend with after mid January as well.
Nothing about any of this is impressive.

This is after 2 8th place finishes and being knocked out of the EL in a crucial tie by Emery.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue May 17, 2022 12:23 pm

theHotHead wrote:No no, getting rid of Auba in Jan and then having 12 goals scored by ALL OF OUR FORWARDS in the 15 games that have been played since he left - and while Auba scored 11 La Liga goals himself - was a freekin brilliant idea by the club.

Pepe - 1, Nketiah - 4, Saka - 5, Martinelli - 1, Laca - 1.

Top rate decision making by Arteta and co, bravo ...... :clap:

Had no idea it was that bad. Auba's exit didn't change anything; goal numbers from our forwards are still in the toilet.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby EliteKiller » Tue May 17, 2022 12:53 pm

jayramfootball wrote:

Its just very clear evidence of an inept manager employing the same tactics over and over .....

Top four teams all press and/or have world class strikers, we did poorly but that's more about quality than tactics. young players put under constant pressure with very little experience, what do we expect. We were far to open and gave away possesion in all the wrong places, that's a big learning curve.

The next group of teams were confident enough to play an open game against us, this gave our youngsters the time and space to do their thing, these teams won't make that mistake again (Conte's Spurs didn't). Arteta's line up and tactics worked well in these games.

The 10-13 teams parked the bus and forced us to try and break them down, we simply lacked the quality strikers to take the very few chances we created. Massive tactical fail playing the same line-up and tactics in these games. Loads of possesion bugger all goals.

The bottom group were just poor, five careless points dropped
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby starmandb » Thu May 19, 2022 8:30 pm

Salibatelli wrote:A result against Man U is nothing to ride home about this season, they are awful and even then they gave us a tough game.

Chelsea were in the midst of their worst run of run of the season and handed us two goals and a penalty.

Those were on the face of it more impressive than they actually were which is why we lost 5 around those 3 games.

Chelsea had won there 3 games leading up to playing us scoring 6 at Southampton and winning at champions league finalists Real Madrid
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sun May 22, 2022 8:30 pm

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=119646#p2032222

It’s not good for someone, especially the manager of Arsenal football club, to be this predictable.

I know what I’d do if I was Kroenke. I’ll post in detail later in the next season’s objectives thread
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby swipe right » Thu May 26, 2022 4:56 pm

swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Thu May 26, 2022 7:57 pm

Ach wrote:
Ach wrote:Imperative Liverpool beat Tottenham

If they get anything in that, added to us not getting anything v them and Newcastle which is likely, top 4 could be done for us

I hate being right :(

Hopefully I can love being wrong after the Newcastle game

Nope
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Thu May 26, 2022 8:07 pm

Ach wrote:
Ach wrote:

If they get anything in that, added to us not getting anything v them and Newcastle which is likely, top 4 could be done for us

Nope

Yes you were spot on, I always thought the Spurs and Newcastle games would be hard.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri May 27, 2022 12:52 am

Salibatelli wrote:
Ach wrote:
Ach wrote:

Nope

Yes you were spot on, I always thought the Spurs and Newcastle games would be hard.

It was one of my predictions.

I said if we lose the Spurs game no way we win two on the trot under pressure and it was actually the Newcastle game I called as the problem.

We should of gone 5 atb at Spurs, we only needed a draw, inexperienced manager thinking of the ocassion of the derby > achieving our season aim.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 27, 2022 7:17 am

jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

I know Jay isn't here to reply but, silly response ! The Invincibles has never been done before, so it would be foolhardy to use that season as the barometer. All I did was use Emery's season as a barometer, not unreasonable LOL.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 27, 2022 7:20 am

TedLasso wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Its just very clear evidence of an inept manager employing the same tactics over and over .....

Top four teams all press and/or have world class strikers, we did poorly but that's more about quality than tactics. young players put under constant pressure with very little experience, what do we expect. We were far to open and gave away possesion in all the wrong places, that's a big learning curve.

The next group of teams were confident enough to play an open game against us, this gave our youngsters the time and space to do their thing, these teams won't make that mistake again (Conte's Spurs didn't). Arteta's line up and tactics worked well in these games.

The 10-13 teams parked the bus and forced us to try and break them down, we simply lacked the quality strikers to take the very few chances we created. Massive tactical fail playing the same line-up and tactics in these games. Loads of possesion bugger all goals.

I think you are spot on. I simply didn't see tactical adjustments match to match so it truly looked like our results were dependent on how much the opponent opened it up.

Yup, thats EXACTLY why I called him a one trick pony
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Fran Solo » Fri May 27, 2022 8:34 am

theHotHead wrote:
TedLasso wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I think you are spot on. I simply didn't see tactical adjustments match to match so it truly looked like our results were dependent on how much the opponent opened it up.

Yup, thats EXACTLY why I called him a one trick pony

This is actually one of the main reason the fans are split.
Some said he has made Arsenal fun to watch again. He made us love our players again. He made the Emirates a fortress.
Which is true because I can see and feel that.
But, on the other hand his inexperience appeared almost everytime the opposition could counter his strategy, especially when some key players couldn't play. It's understandable really, but some fans (including me) can't accept that.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk