2022 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2022 Summer Transfer Window

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:30 pm

Ach wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:Doing to the attack this summer what we did to the defence last summer.

I'm still a bit worried about the midfield though. The gap in quality between Partey-Xhaka and Elneny-Sambi is huge. We'd be an injury away from a shite midfield pairing. Tielemans or someone similar would change that, I'm not convinced that Fabio Vieira does.

So we'll score less than last season seeing as the defence conceded more than the previous season
How did the number of clean sheets compare?

Also, we conceded 9 in the first three games, before we had our new defence sorted!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:45 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:
Ach wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:Doing to the attack this summer what we did to the defence last summer.

I'm still a bit worried about the midfield though. The gap in quality between Partey-Xhaka and Elneny-Sambi is huge. We'd be an injury away from a shite midfield pairing. Tielemans or someone similar would change that, I'm not convinced that Fabio Vieira does.

So we'll score less than last season seeing as the defence conceded more than the previous season

Also, we conceded 9 in the first three games, before we had our new defence sorted!

You shouldn't need a £100m defense to manage a clean sheet against Brentford playing their first PL game in over half a century.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:45 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:
Ach wrote:

The transfer window was open before the season started

No excuses
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:33 pm

Ach wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:
Ach wrote:

The transfer window was open before the season started

No excuses
I don't disagree with that, only that after those three games he had his preferred players. No excuse for not having decent cover at full back either!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:04 pm

I think at this point Arsenal will focus on Jesus primarily for the forward/strikers position, then move on to other positional targets like, midfield and defense. Jesus has 58 goals and 29 assists from 159 appearances, almost like Laca [ 72 goals, 36 assists from around 200+appearances (?)], albeit Jesus is 25-26yrs against Laca who's 30 now. So Jesus has at least 5 more productive years in front of him.
Raphinha and Recharlison links are only eyelashes. We already have competent players in their position ( both being wingers primarily) and their performances falls short w.r.t Jesus.
Think once the Jesus matter is settled, Tielemans/CM and LFB issues will come into focus. They're approaching one issue at a time. So far so good.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby alexafc12 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:27 pm

One thing I like about signing ~25 year old players is that on 5 year deals we should be getting their best years.

Somewhat less risk of players running down their contracts during their peak and demanding huge salary hikes.

Not sure why we never go past 5 though. Liverpool and United often agree 5 + option for an extra year deals.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby TedLasso » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:58 pm

Add Raphinha and Martinez and this roster is stacked with young talent. Defensive depth needs more work plus a new midfielder or two BUT the roster has plenty of exciting prospects. If it doesnt work out with Arteta this year, we’ll be a more attractive option for a new manager.
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Hypergooner » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:01 pm

Agree on a new CM. I'd still like to see a proper box to box CM and a LB.
Liking our attacking options now. 5 subs next season, so more options could win us games
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:43 am

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:
Ach wrote:

You shouldn't need a £100m defense to manage a clean sheet against Brentford playing their first PL game in over half a century.

:clap:
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:49 am

Starmandb we absolutely should not be pushing young players (teenagers) to play lots of games, they should be broken in gently and I refer you all to how Pep dealt with Phil Foden as the correct way to integrate young players, he is reaping the rewards right now. Its not like Foden isnt an all action player. We were guilty of over playing Fabregas - he was too good to leave out but we should been more gentle. Luckily he didn't end up a walking injury for us.

Of course you will have players that are physically developed for their age, in fact ahead of their age, the likes of Tony Adams is a good example. You would have no fear giving him plenty of games as a teen.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Hypergooner » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:40 am

theHotHead wrote:Starmandb we absolutely should not be pushing young players (teenagers) to play lots of games, they should be broken in gently and I refer you all to how Pep dealt with Phil Foden as the correct way to integrate young players, he is reaping the rewards right now. Its not like Foden isnt an all action player. We were guilty of over playing Fabregas - he was too good to leave out but we should been more gentle. Luckily he didn't end up a walking injury for us.

Of course you will have players that are physically developed for their age, in fact ahead of their age, the likes of Tony Adams is a good example. You would have no fear giving him plenty of games as a teen.

Given time in the job, I think Arteta will slowly break in youth players. He's built a young team to restart a club mentality from scratch. They don't know any different than his way. Once they become more experienced and more established, they can teach and welcome new recruits in the right way. Patino and the like, will be slowly blooded in to the dynamic I feel
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby alexafc12 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:43 am

Chelsea making a move for Richarlison apparently.

Perhaps suggests they feel Raphinha isn't the one / coming to us.

Would be hilarious if we got Raphinha and Richarlison went Chelsea. Spurs left with nothing.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby 22-0 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:50 am

alexafc12 wrote:Chelsea making a move for Richarlison apparently.

Perhaps suggests they feel Raphinha isn't the one / coming to us.

Would be hilarious if we got Raphinha and Richarlison went Chelsea. Spurs left with nothing.

Son - kane - whatever his name is still way better than ours.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby alexafc12 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:27 pm

Spurs worry is always going to be one of Kane / Son gets injured. They lack depth.

Them going for both Richarlison & Gordon from Everton makes a lot of sense.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:03 pm

Hypergooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Starmandb we absolutely should not be pushing young players (teenagers) to play lots of games, they should be broken in gently and I refer you all to how Pep dealt with Phil Foden as the correct way to integrate young players, he is reaping the rewards right now. Its not like Foden isnt an all action player. We were guilty of over playing Fabregas - he was too good to leave out but we should been more gentle. Luckily he didn't end up a walking injury for us.

Given time in the job, I think Arteta will slowly break in youth players. He's built a young team to restart a club mentality from scratch. They don't know any different than his way. Once they become more experienced and more established, they can teach and welcome new recruits in the right way. Patino and the like, will be slowly blooded in to the dynamic I feel

But we've been through this before with Wenger. Football doesn't work that way. Young players that are any good are not going to stick around forever waiting for the project to come together. Fabregas, Nasri, RVP --- Project Youth ended in tears.

The only players we managed to keep from that era were the ones who knew they couldn't do any better - Bendtner, Djourou, Denilson. Or crocks like Ramsey and Wilshere.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk