2022 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2022 Summer Transfer Window

Postby PairyGrows » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:13 am

Apparently, we're planning a "historical spending spree" in the summer where we're going to splash £180m on three players - Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Alexander Isak and Ruben Neves - to take our squad to the "next level".

Aside from the fact that we've heard all this a million times before, I must say that this doesn't sound all that exciting to me. Spending a huge portion of our budget on two players who, ostensibly, compete for the same position doesn't sound too intelligent to me, given the fact that we need so many players just to bolster the numbers.

Even the club's PR machine is misfiring now. Not that they've had any credibility to begin with, but the propaganda has sunk to a new low.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:21 am

PairyGrows wrote:Apparently, we're planning a "historical spending spree" in the summer where we're going to splash £180m on three players - Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Alexander Isak and Ruben Neves - to take our squad to the "next level".

Aside from the fact that we've heard all this a million times before, I must say that this doesn't sound all that exciting to me. Spending a huge portion of our budget on two players who, ostensibly, compete for the same position doesn't sound too intelligent to me, given the fact that we need so many players just to bolster the numbers.

Even the club's PR machine is misfiring now. Not that they've had any credibility to begin with, but the propaganda has sunk to a new low.

I very much doubt the club released that 'news'.
Sound more like BS from the media.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:22 am

Santi wrote:But he sold Coutinho so it doesn't count ffs Jay, use your brain!!

:sneaky2:

Oh yeah, I forgot... maybe Arteta should sell Saka and ESR - that would get the Arteta Bad clowns onside for sure.
:rofll:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Hypergooner » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:26 am

PairyGrows wrote:Apparently, we're planning a "historical spending spree" in the summer where we're going to splash £180m on three players - Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Alexander Isak and Ruben Neves - to take our squad to the "next level".

This is just made up opinion from a poor journalist. We'll never spend £180m on them 3. Neves is in his 30s and DCL is too similar to Isak who we might go for.

We will be buying a RB a CM and maybe two strikers. My mate Dave, who works with a woman, who's brother once knew a stuard at Highbury told me.
I might write a piece saying how we are going on a £270m speding spree and see how far it gets on social media.
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:40 pm

Hypergooner wrote:

This is just made up opinion from a poor journalist. We'll never spend £180m on them 3. Neves is in his 30s and DCL is too similar to Isak who we might go for.

We will be buying a RB a CM and maybe two strikers. My mate Dave, who works with a woman, who's brother once knew a stuard at Highbury told me.
I might write a piece saying how we are going on a £270m speding spree and see how far it gets on social media.

There's more than a good chance that we sign Neves and one of DCL/Isak and that alone would take us past 100m.

The bigger issue for me is that these targets are bang average and have no experience of winning things or making deep cup runs. When Man U bought Lukaku from Everton, he was coming off a 24-goal PL season. DCL's never been close to that kind of output.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby starmandb » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:38 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
Reiss wrote:£180m warchest rumours lol

We've done a full circle back to the Wenger years!

Absolute chequebook manager.

Newcastle could make Top 6 if they spent the £225m Arteta already has. And here we are, sinking another fortune to support Mr. Non-negotiables.

Let's be honest most if not all managers need money to rebuild and shape the squad into their own.

Pep needs it, Jose needs it and even Klopp needed it although the latter does it via self generated funds.

We were an absolute sh*t show when Mikel walked into this club. You can't expect him to work wonders with the likes of Mustafi and Sokratis.

We've cleared a decade worth of clogged crap and chronic inefficiencies over the past 24 months. We've got a good foundation built now and when we improve the attack in the summer he won't have any excuses left.

No we weren't, we were not the 6th best team in the league we were better than that, Wenger was a stubborn dufus who paid no attention to defending. We finished 5th with Emery who it turns out was even worse defensivley. Just think how much closer to 4th we would've got with even a slight defensive improvement. You talk about us being a shit show, explain how we got to the Europa League final the season before ? Explain how the only teams that scored more goals than us were Man City and Liverpool who finished first and second respectively, if we were such a shit show.

You cannot put Klopp in the same bracket as Pep and Mourinho, the latter have been chequebook managers, at least Mourinho did something special with Porto when he didn't have money to spend, Pep has never proved that he can do the same. Klopp has spent money earned by selling his best players, he is not a chequebook manager in the slightest ! Klopp is what Wenger was at first and should have maintained being instead of going off trying to prove the world that his way was the right way when we could all see that his way was doomed to fail.

So this narrative that the squad was washed up and shot and blah blah blah is nonsense.

I couldn’t give a f**k if we spend all the money in the known world or we find a baby on the steps of Islington town hall
I am a supporter not a junior accountant
I want us to be the best
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Santi » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:57 pm

Does feel like he's been around for donkeys years tbf, probably more so if you play FM but yeah he's surprisingly still young.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:52 pm

Reiss wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Reiss wrote:
Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
Reiss wrote:£180m warchest rumours lol

We've done a full circle back to the Wenger years!

Absolute chequebook manager.

Newcastle could make Top 6 if they spent the £225m Arteta already has. And here we are, sinking another fortune to support Mr. Non-negotiables.

Let's be honest most if not all managers need money to rebuild and shape the squad into their own.

Pep needs it, Jose needs it and even Klopp needed it although the latter does it via self generated funds.

We were an absolute sh*t show when Mikel walked into this club. You can't expect him to work wonders with the likes of Mustafi and Sokratis.

We've cleared a decade worth of clogged crap and chronic inefficiencies over the past 24 months. We've got a good foundation built now and when we improve the attack in the summer he won't have any excuses left.

No we weren't, we were not the 6th best team in the league we were better than that, Wenger was a stubborn dufus who paid no attention to defending. We finished 5th with Emery who it turns out was even worse defensivley. Just think how much closer to 4th we would've got with even a slight defensive improvement. You talk about us being a shit show, explain how we got to the Europa League final the season before ? Explain how the only teams that scored more goals than us were Man City and Liverpool who finished first and second respectively, if we were such a shit show.

You cannot put Klopp in the same bracket as Pep and Mourinho, the latter have been chequebook managers, at least Mourinho did something special with Porto when he didn't have money to spend, Pep has never proved that he can do the same. Klopp has spent money earned by selling his best players, he is not a chequebook manager in the slightest ! Klopp is what Wenger was at first and should have maintained being instead of going off trying to prove the world that his way was the right way when we could all see that his way was doomed to fail.

So this narrative that the squad was washed up and shot and blah blah blah is nonsense.

I didn't say Klopp is a chequebook manager. I said he needed money to turn Liverpool into the beast they are today.

When he had the players he inherited he was getting beat by the likes of Palace, Newcastle and Watford in his first season and finished 8th.

Point is, every manager needs money to make the squad their own. Arteta is no different. Add to that the fact that we had deep rooted, chronic issues that dated back 15 years- we're only starting to free ourselves from those shackles now.

Klopp is both.

That's why he's so fkin good, he has the ability to get the best out of players the same way a Rogers or Moyes, or any midtable manager is supposed to do, but he also has a clear vision in how he wants to play and buys what he needs to make it happen, he's very specific with what he wants, he doesn't just fling money around trying to buy his way out of trouble, but he's elite and the elite won't stand for a board who's not willing to be competitive.

imo Klopp is the best manager since Alex Fergusson and prime Wenger.

His Liverpool vs Fergies Treble winners would of been a battle for the ages.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:04 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:That's why he's so fkin good, he has the ability to get the best out of players the same way a Rogers or Moyes, or any midtable manager is supposed to do, but he also has a clear vision in how he wants to play and buys what he needs to make it happen, he's very specific with what he wants, he doesn't just fling money around trying to buy his way out of trouble, but he's elite and the elite won't stand for a board who's not willing to be competitive.

So Klopp in this thread is 'very specific with what he wants' but in the other thread this is a criticism of Mikel and Klopp can use any type of forward across his front line?

What?
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:16 pm

We need two strikers and a central midfielder. Anything less will be a disaster.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:10 pm

So much for Spurs' January window.
Lets hope they do as well in the summer LOL
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:33 pm

Jimenez would be a good option for a CF. Good in the box and decent in the air.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Hypergooner » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:05 pm

TedLasso wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:

Ruben Neves is only 24

Sorry I was thinking of Jimenez the striker. Neves I'd like to see with us. To be honest I like Jimenez as well, he's just the wrong side of his career for us.
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:49 am

Reiss wrote:
Highbury Hillbilly wrote:Jimenez would be a good option for a CF. Good in the box and decent in the air.

Good player, if only he was a few years younger.

Turning 31 in May.

Dayum, didn't know that. It's a no in that case.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:02 pm

Arsenal have been left angry following their failure to land Serbia striker Dusan Vlahovic, 22, as Mikel Arteta now faces a summer scramble to solve the club's striker conundrum. (Mirror)

Ineptness runs deep
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk