2022 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2022 Summer Transfer Window

Postby Hypergooner » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:48 am

Sky sports saying our intrest in Tielemans has cooled now we are are going for Vieira.

Hope we're not just filling the CM gap on the cheap! Feels like that

Tielemans - PL experience, full international, captain of club, high salary

Vieira - inexperienced at senior level, no PL experience, legend name, low salary
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:01 am

We've now filled the squad gaps created in January - time to sign the 1st eleven players - Tielemans 100%, Jesus (not convinced but EPL experience) Martinez from Ajax (not my choice), get deals done.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:19 am

Hypergooner wrote:Sky sports saying our intrest in Tielemans has cooled now we are are going for Vieira.

Vieira - inexperienced at senior level, no PL experience, legend name, low salary

Vieira looks too good and is too expensive to be a bench option and I can't imagine Arteta giving Odegaard the boot after one season. Adding Tielemans into the mix would make us even stronger in midfield but I can't see where we slot all these players without changing the system. I doubt Vieira will play as CM unless we switch to a 4-3-3 system with two 8s either side of Partey, Xhaka or maybe Tielemans.

A recent expensive purchase (Odegaard, Partey) will have to hold a bench or one of our promising young players will have less game. We'll have options at least. That's fine, as long as we have a clear vision and these aren't expensive versions of the Willian transfer.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:33 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:Sky sports saying our intrest in Tielemans has cooled now we are are going for Vieira.

Vieira looks too good and is too expensive to be a bench option and I can't imagine Arteta giving Odegaard the boot after one season. Adding Tielemans into the mix would make us even stronger in midfield but I can't see where we slot all these players without changing the system. I doubt Vieira will play as CM unless we switch to a 4-3-3 system with two 8s either side of Partey, Xhaka or maybe Tielemans.

A recent expensive purchase (Odegaard, Partey) will have to hold a bench or one of our promising young players will have less game. We'll have options at least. That's fine, as long as we have a clear vision and these aren't expensive versions of the Willian transfer.

My worry is we tried the 4-3-3 with odegaard and ESR as two 8s and it didn't work. Unless you have rolls royce players like city/old barca it doesn't work.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:00 am

Arsenal Tone wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

My worry is we tried the 4-3-3 with odegaard and ESR as two 8s and it didn't work. Unless you have rolls royce players like city/old barca it doesn't work.

A new system will take time to work.. A few games here or there won't really cut it. It's more so about the players getting comfortable and confident in their new role.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Hypergooner » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:44 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

A new system will take time to work.. A few games here or there won't really cut it. It's more so about the players getting comfortable and confident in their new role.

If Arteta can't make a tried and tested formation like 433 work and if the players struggle to get settled, we are in big trouble. Kids play 433. It's the new 442!
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby elkanofan » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:34 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

ESR isnt a good number 8 and i dont think will ever be. Odegaard i know could do it but needs to stop being a pussy. I still would put Vieira ahead of him as an AM as hes more natural an attacker who can score and create with pace and precision. Odegaard only has precision.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby swipe right » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:07 am

A frontline of Jesus, Gabriel and Saka. With Jesus dropping into midfield to help link attack with midfield and pulling wide giving Gabriel space to come central.

A midfield of Odegard, Vieira and Partey. Odegard being the player behind the striker playing the final ball. Vieira playing more as a metronome starting attacks and being the runner from deep. And Partey or El Neny anchoring the midfield.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:19 am

None of this will be of any use if our game plan continues to be "sling in crosses at every opportunity. If we move to slick interplay then yes I can see that attacking line up being of use, however I caution that with - none of those players you listed up top strike me as being good interplay players. Saka and Martinelli are direct players and Jesus likes to get on the end of passes to shoot.

I just don't see what style of play we plan to use. If we play to the strengths of the players then we should be able to do damage, but I would not be at all surprised by Arteta buying a Maserati and trying to take it off-roading!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Reiss » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:35 pm

If the players we're being linked with come in then it will be an excellent window.

We're going for some of the best talent in Europe in Vieira, Martinez etc. Top technical players that will take us up a level.

Exciting.
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby swipe right » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:36 pm

Reiss wrote:If the players we're being linked with come in then it will be an excellent window.

We're going for some of the best talent in Europe in Vieira, Martinez etc. Top technical players that will take us up a level.

Exciting.

Bet you didn’t even know Vieira existed last week :rofll:
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Reiss » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:38 pm

swipe right wrote:A frontline of Jesus, Gabriel and Saka. With Jesus dropping into midfield to help link attack with midfield and pulling wide giving Gabriel space to come central.

A midfield of Odegard, Vieira and Partey. Odegard being the player behind the striker playing the final ball. Vieira playing more as a metronome starting attacks and being the runner from deep. And Partey or El Neny anchoring the midfield.

You see what happens when you use rationale and think logically, instead of conforming to the negative vitriol on this forum?

You should stick to the former- you come across better.
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby #ST » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:43 pm

swipe right wrote:A frontline of Jesus, Gabriel and Saka. With Jesus dropping into midfield to help link attack with midfield and pulling wide giving Gabriel space to come central.

No way in Hell he drops Xhaka from the first team.
Id f***ing cry happy tears if he does, but he wont.

:snooty:
Wembley:
Community Shield @6-8-'23 = 1*-1 Manchester City

Emirates Stadium:
First game @10-9-'11 = 1 - 0 Swansea
Most memorable game @24-2-'22 = 2 - 1 Wolves
Last game @14-04-'24 = 0 - 2 Aston Villa
Next game @4-05-'24 = VS Bournemouth [ No ticket yet ]
#ST
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner

Postby 22-0 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:46 pm

swipe right wrote:
Reiss wrote:If the players we're being linked with come in then it will be an excellent window.

Exciting.

:rofll: :rofll:
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby starmandb » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:35 pm

swipe right wrote:

Exciting.

Perhaps he watches a bit of champions league being a football fan and that or maybe the odd England youth international to watch smith Rowe and notices someone on the other team
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk