2022 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2022 Summer Transfer Window

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 20, 2022 4:04 pm

Santi wrote:I think we'll have to pay higher wages and maybe throw more money about without having the CL income as security, that's the only way we can make up for coming 5th without pulling a few masterstroke signings out of nowhere.

I don't disagree it's more desirable to be top 4, we all want it don't we? But next season was going to be a challenge either way, the club have to have been planning for that with or without CL football. Squad needs fleshing out and we need a top striker minimum. I think it' the new CM which we might miss out on.

We are going to need help in CM.. hopefully we don't miss out on that.
We can't really rely on Partey being fit or indeed keeping a level of form for the whole season.
Lakonga will progress but we can't rely on him either.
Eleneny is a squad player and Xhaka we know about - can be great but has that mistake in him.
I think it's a priority over a striker... mentioned on another thread - if Marseille want Saliba we could try a cash + Kamara deal.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Fri May 20, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Hypergooner » Fri May 20, 2022 4:24 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
Santi wrote:Wasn't worried about Leicester tbh, their squad didn't really look worse than ours at the start of the season but their defenders all played horribly and our signings were quite impressive overall.

United and Spurs both had better squads than us (imo HH ;) ) and I expected it to be a tough job to beat them over 38 games. United were certainly dogshit but we all had our bad spells this season so I don't think we can dismiss being above them as a non-achievement, while we only just fell behind Spurs with their WC manager.

Am I anymore confident for next season than I was this one? Maybe a little, we have some semblance of a style and we've had some actual good performances this season (last year imo there were none, maybe one or two i'm forgetting). Our signings last summer hit way more than they flopped so I'm hopeful we'll do the same again this summer.

Do I also expect Utd to be better? Yes. Spurs? Not so much, Conte came through when it mattered but they've been terrible under him for periods as well...I believe he just got them into that siege mentality which won't work over 38 games.

The big difference next season? Being outside the top 4 has no merit unless it's masked by a Europa League win.

I think Leicester are a much better team than they have shown this season, call it injuries or just not turning up but they would have been more much harder to beat normally.

I agree everyone had bad spells, but Man U were consistently bad, even when we lost to them at OT they were awful, I can barely think of a game where they played well at all, even when they won.

I think this season was our big chance, qualifying for the CL would have given us more money and would have allowed us to buy better players, now it will be tougher.

I also think Spurs will improve because Conte will have worked longer with the squad and will sign some quality in the summer, especially if they qualify for the CL, just look at his January signings and the difference they made.

So next season we’ll be battling with City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U and Spurs and even top 6 will probably involve a battle with Newcastle and possibly Leicester who have been very good in the past.

I honestly can’t see how Arteta can compete, he doesn’t have the experience and he’s also quite a flawed manager who has a tendency to make bad decisions at the wrong time.

The other thing to remember is that we’ve had the most stability, Spurs and Man U both changed managers during the season and we still couldn’t take advantage.

I can see how Arteta/We can compete. We need to sign 5 or 6 good players to do it, but the others aren't that secure going in to the new season.
Conte will probably leave before the season is out and Daniel Levy probably won't invest enough.
Ten Hage might get found out in the Prem. They may also have a completely new squad that needs to settle in.
Newcastle are 2 or 3 years off yet.
West Ham don't have enough money
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Salibatelli » Fri May 20, 2022 4:31 pm

Hypergooner wrote:I can see how Arteta/We can compete. We need to sign 5 or 6 good players to do it, but the others aren't that secure going in to the new season.
Conte will probably leave before the season is out and Daniel Levy probably won't invest enough.
Ten Hage might get found out in the Prem. They may also have a completely new squad that needs to settle in.
Newcastle are 2 or 3 years off yet.
West Ham don't have enough money

But realistically these can’t be top class because of the amount of money we’d need, plus with no CL you can only attract certain players, the combination of these two factors restrict us somewhat.

Conte will probably qualify for the CL which gives Spurs more money and he’ll sign some quality I would think, plus he’s a proven winner so once he’s worked with the squad for longer you’d expect they’ll improve.

Ten Hag is an unknown but he can’t be as bad as Solkjaer and Rangnick and I expect Man U will pick up significantly, they’re too big a club not to because this season they’ve been a disaster.

Newcastle may not challenge for top 4, but top 6 is very possible with the right players, they’ve already improved massively since Howe arrived and they have a lot of money behind them.

West Ham I don’t consider a threat but Leicester I expect will be much better next season after a disastrous season for them so they may challenge for top 6 again.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Fri May 20, 2022 4:34 pm

Santi wrote:I think we'll have to pay higher wages and maybe throw more money about without having the CL income as security, that's the only way we can make up for coming 5th without pulling a few masterstroke signings out of nowhere.

I don't disagree it's more desirable to be top 4, we all want it don't we? But next season was going to be a challenge either way, the club have to have been planning for that with or without CL football. Squad needs fleshing out and we need a top striker minimum. I think it' the new CM which we might miss out on.

For sure, but I think the numbers we need will restrict our finances, we won’t be able to afford those game changers, we’ll have to try our luck again on some cheaper buys with the odd 1 that’s more expensive as we realistically need 2 strikers, a left back, a right back and a couple midfielders.

Decent striker don’t come cheap either.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Santi » Fri May 20, 2022 5:55 pm

Well given the blasé approach in January you'd have to expect they thought they could bridge that top 4 gap in the summer regardless. So loosen the purse strings, f**k stability and buy us a good team for once.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri May 20, 2022 6:40 pm

Santi wrote:Well given the blasé approach in January you'd have to expect they thought they could bridge that top 4 gap in the summer regardless. So loosen the purse strings, f**k stability and buy us a good team for once.

Why don't you just stfu and trust the process?

......... Jay, get in here and have a word with your boy, I think he's gone rogue.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Fri May 20, 2022 7:09 pm

I think a good striker is gettable even when we aren't in CL, like we got Auba. Not necessarily big names work out like Lukaku second coming at Chelski.
We need a striker who's willing to work hard for our system. Salary wise we are good pay masters , so all is needed is a keen eye for the quality.
Another, should be a quality midfielder. Again, quite a few available, but need to be vetted. But we also have up and coming ones from our academy, namely, Patino and Azeez, who are very good prospects. So next season could be their break out one. Then, multiple problems solved w/ a few stones. There's cause for optimism.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Dejan » Fri May 20, 2022 8:04 pm

I hope they dont spend a single penny this summer

...so they will have some money left when a good manager finally takes over.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 20, 2022 8:28 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
It's odd that you keep saying this about other teams.
It's just factually wrong

Utd were worse for absolute sure.
Spurs were much better. They will likely finish the season on 71 points - a full 9 points better than last year.
Chelsea will also finish 5-6 points better than they were last year.
Liverpool will be about 20 points better than last year

So 3 of the big 6 improved by a lot, 1 of the big six got worse.

The problem is these are just numbers, it doesn’t show you performance on the pitch or the quality of the teams in the league.

Spurs haven’t been very good this season, despite their points total, Chelsea definitely haven’t been very good, Liverpool and City are the outliers, they have been outstanding.

But it’s also the other teams in the league many of which have been really awful meaning it was easier to get points off them regardless of how well another team plays.

I can even look at the likes of West Ham and Wolves, the from who have no squad depth and only one striker and the latter who have really struggled to score goal in games, these aren’t particularly good teams at all but they ended up quite high up in the league.

What?
Just numbers?
They are the points a team wins!
Spurs are going to finish probably 9 points better off this year and you are pretending they got significantly worse?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Fri May 20, 2022 8:31 pm

I’m saying the quality of teams in the league is lower, so points are easier to come by hence the higher totals.

I’ve been critical about the quality of sides for most of the season, there’s been too many poor and average sides in the league this year.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 20, 2022 8:37 pm

Salibatelli wrote:I’m saying the quality of teams in the league is lower, so points are easier to come by hence the higher totals.

I’ve been critical about the quality of sides for most of the season, there’s been too many poor and average sides in the league this year.

So spurs being 9 points better, Chelsea being better and Liverpool being better is not really better because of your subjective view of quality in the best league in the world?
Ok
:rolleyes:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Fri May 20, 2022 8:41 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:I’m saying the quality of teams in the league is lower, so points are easier to come by hence the higher totals.

So spurs being 9 points better, Chelsea being better and Liverpool being better is not really better because of your subjective view of quality in the best league in the world?
Ok

Liverpool are better, you can see from their performances, Chelsea aren’t, that they had a nightmare start last season under Lampard as well last season which affects their numbers.

There were really only two decent sides in the league this year.

I don’t think you can just look at numbers because there are other factors, the on field performances and quality of the sides being 2.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 20, 2022 8:49 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Ok

Liverpool are better, you can see from their performances, Chelsea aren’t, that they had a nightmare start last season under Lampard as well last season which affects their numbers.

I don’t think you can just look at numbers because there are other factors, the on field performances and quality of the sides being 2.

So Chelsea were better last year because they weren’t very good under Lampard so we have to exclude that?
Spurs were better last year despite getting probably 9 points less because the rest of the league has declined?
Interesting.

Another one of those fake realities to fit an argument.

In the real world, last year required 67 points to get top 4, this year it requires 71.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Fri May 20, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Fri May 20, 2022 8:54 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Ok

So Chelsea were better last year because they weren’t very good under Lampard so we have to exclude that?
Spurs were better last year despite getting probably 9 points less because the rest of the league has declined?
Interesting.

In the real world, last year required 67 points to get top 4, this year it requires 71.

They were a better team yes, they won the CL after all.

The league has definitely declined yes.

It’s not a fake reality, it’s just that all your opinions are based on stats and don’t take into consideration the real life events, this is very limiting.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 20, 2022 8:59 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Ok

Interesting.

They were a better team yes, they won the CL after all.

The league has definitely declined yes.

It’s not a fake reality, it’s just that all your opinions are based on stats and don’t take into consideration the real life events, this is very limiting.

Points are stats now.
We should not use them. Just vote on the quality.
:dontknow:

Premier league is levels above any league in the world and getting stronger. It’s not even close any more like it used to be.

Think you are just seeking out reasons to try and explain away our good season and clear improvement by the manager and players
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk