2022 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2022 Summer Transfer Window

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 20, 2022 1:50 pm

UFGN wrote:
StockGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
StockGooner wrote:Think there is the consensus that Arteta risked it not having a competent CF lined up once Auba left. And I would say there was a consensus on here that Auba wasn't performing for us, so we were happy he left but on the proviso we had a replacement. When we didn't Arteta and Edu left themselves open to a huge risk.

Now I am all for that risk if we get a top quality CF in this summer window. I would rather have that than a panic buy in January that doesn't sit with our requirements. Yes we could have got CL football maybe, but longer term I would choose the better striker however we've now potentially lost that chance without CL football this year.

Is a Darwin Nunez goign to come to us now?
Would Jesus come to us still?

It was entirely his risk and he's completely f***ked up. Stripped the squad bare, and didn't make replacements. That led directly to our failure to get CL football, and to a lesser extent, our early exit from the FA cup.

FA Cup was poor. I never expect us to win any cup as you might come up against a decent opposition. Or you might play a lower opposition and they have the game of their lives. Neither of which happened, so with you there

He and Edu did f*** up, but I am glad they didn't panic buy someone we'd be stuck with for 4 seasons and end up letting go for free. If they;d taken a punt on an up and ocming player who might have resale value I would be ok. We don't know how hard they pressed, but I do believe they could have done more

It's their job to not do nothing, and also not panic buy. They are paid millions of pounds to get these decisions right.

They are getting the decisions right, by and large..
We've moved up the table to 5th and had a good season overall and the strategy the club adopted will continue this summer as we add to the squad and go again next year.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Fri May 20, 2022 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby StockGooner » Fri May 20, 2022 1:56 pm

UFGN wrote:
StockGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
StockGooner wrote:Think there is the consensus that Arteta risked it not having a competent CF lined up once Auba left. And I would say there was a consensus on here that Auba wasn't performing for us, so we were happy he left but on the proviso we had a replacement. When we didn't Arteta and Edu left themselves open to a huge risk.

Now I am all for that risk if we get a top quality CF in this summer window. I would rather have that than a panic buy in January that doesn't sit with our requirements. Yes we could have got CL football maybe, but longer term I would choose the better striker however we've now potentially lost that chance without CL football this year.

It was entirely his risk and he's completely f***ked up. Stripped the squad bare, and didn't make replacements. That led directly to our failure to get CL football, and to a lesser extent, our early exit from the FA cup.

FA Cup was poor. I never expect us to win any cup as you might come up against a decent opposition. Or you might play a lower opposition and they have the game of their lives. Neither of which happened, so with you there

He and Edu did f*** up, but I am glad they didn't panic buy someone we'd be stuck with for 4 seasons and end up letting go for free. If they;d taken a punt on an up and ocming player who might have resale value I would be ok. We don't know how hard they pressed, but I do believe they could have done more

It's their job to not do nothing, and also not panic buy. They are paid millions of pounds to get these decisions right.

Totally agreed. If they can't do their job they should be sacked, I just think Arteta is doing his job better than Edu is doing his.

I think we have been in a fight for Top4 and whilst I'm gutted/angry/disappointed that we didn't I do think I have seen shoots of prgoress. He needs to sharpen up his player management though.

I think by and large the signings we made during last summer have been successful barring Tavares (Small fee gamble?) and Lokonga (Not a patch on Guendo IMO so far). EDIT - And Arteta by all accounts had a say in these

But Edu isn't getting the relevant fees in for players, although he also isn't helped by Arteta's management sometimes.

Just to be clear, I'm no way the level of fan of others, but I don't disagree with eveyrhting we have done that cost us 4th
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Salibatelli » Fri May 20, 2022 2:13 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
UFGN wrote:
StockGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

We've moved up the table to 5th and had a good season overall and the strategy the club adopted will continue this summer as we add to the squad and go again next year.

Moving up to 5th was also circumstances, as in our rivals performances falling off a cliff (Man U, Leicester and to a lesser extent Spurs). No one expected these sides to perform so poorly.

It won’t be the same next season. In the end though we had it in our hands, in complete control in January when we had 3 games in hand and were a point clear, in complete control before the the Palace match at home, in complete control 2 games ago when 4 points clear.

The fact we let it slip is not good at all, this isn’t just about having young players (most of which are fairly experienced now), it’s just poor squad and man management.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri May 20, 2022 2:21 pm

We already know the following players are coming in, and they're all squaddies:

- LB Austin Trusty
- GK Matt Turner
- RB Aaron Hickey (90% deal done)

Of possible first XI players, we have:

- CM Tielemans
- CF G Jesus
- CB Saliba (tentative if 4th doesn't happen)

We need more and better first XI players this transfer window.

- DCM to replace Xhaka/Elneny
- RWF to replace Pepe
- LB to replace Tierney (not fit enough to be main starter)
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 20, 2022 2:23 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
UFGN wrote:
StockGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Moving up to 5th was also circumstances, as in our rivals performances falling off a cliff (Man U, Leicester and to a lesser extent Spurs). No one expected these sides to perform so poorly.

It won’t be the same next season. In the end though we had it in our hands, in complete control in January when we had 3 games in hand and were a point clear, in complete control before the the Palace match at home, in complete control 2 games ago when 4 points clear.

The fact we let it slip is not good at all, this isn’t just about having young players (most of which are fairly experienced now), it’s just poor squad and man management.

Top 4 is going to be a 5 point higher bar than last year.
Both Chelsea and Spurs will beat their points totals from last year handily.

This year was harder than last to get in to the top 4 and we almost did it.
5th is a good season for us given where we are in our development as a squad.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 20, 2022 2:35 pm

StockGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:A better solution would've been, to get that world class striker playing well again by choosing a system and personnel to achieve that goal, rather then paying to give him to Barcelona.

Nobody sane in mind honestly believed Auba went from hero to zero just like that ! It was ALWAYS because of Arteta's incompetent tactics. Xavi was like ......

Fair point and one I can't disagree with

But sometimes players don't suit the system their manager is employing and therefore it's best to part ways. It does happen and not just to Arteta.

Forlan and Ferguson. Guardiola and Ibra. Guardiola and Aguero although in the end Aguero was so good he proved Guardiola wrong.

I'm not saying Arteta is blameless there, I do think he needs to sharpen up massively on his management of players; Auba, Guendo, Saliba, Bellerin. But I do stand by that I would rather not take a punt on someone we're not 100% on for 6 months if the alternative is a fully integrated striker in 2022/23.

(But I would rather have had Auba these last 4 months)

OK so if the system didn't suit the player, thats fine and a perfectly acceptable scenario to be in. How should we have moved forward ? You either stay pragmatic and understand the player doesn't fit where you want the team to be, but you have no better replacement, so you stick to whats best for the players you have. Or you get rid of that player and replace him with a player better suited to your system.

Arteta chose an option worse than the 2 above, thats the problem.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Fri May 20, 2022 2:36 pm

jayramfootball wrote:Top 4 is going to be a 5 point higher bar than last year.

That’s because the league has been very poor quality this year allowing those teams to get more points despite them being inferior to previous years.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 20, 2022 2:39 pm

StockGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
StockGooner wrote:FA Cup was poor. I never expect us to win any cup as you might come up against a decent opposition. Or you might play a lower opposition and they have the game of their lives. Neither of which happened, so with you there

You are glad we didn't panic buy, what about all of the planned purchases that have been wank ?!!!

£70m on Pepe ..........

Sorry HH, not trying to rile up here but don't understand the point you're making here? I am not making any point in particular support of Arteta here...

But.... I am absolutely 100% glad we didn't panic buy. And I am 100% annoyed about the lack of impact that Pepe who was a 'considered' purchase has had. If we had signed a striker in Jan who turned out liek pepe, we would all be fuming.

OK I think we see this similarly but I'd like to change the wording. Why do you call it a panic buy ? Auba had been out of sorts since the season before, I am pretty sure Arteta realised this might be an issue going into the next season, he realised long before it was public knowledge that he wanted to get rid of Auba, so must've had a view of possible replacements. So I don't see it as a panic buy at all. It would be different if a key player got injured and put you in a hole and you had little to no time to react, sure, that would be a panic buy. But I don't think the Auba situation would lead to a panic buy because people knew about it for ages.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 20, 2022 2:41 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
UFGN wrote:
StockGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

They have got at least as many decisions wrong as they have got right Jay !!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Fri May 20, 2022 2:41 pm

theHotHead wrote:
StockGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:A better solution would've been, to get that world class striker playing well again by choosing a system and personnel to achieve that goal, rather then paying to give him to Barcelona.

Nobody sane in mind honestly believed Auba went from hero to zero just like that ! It was ALWAYS because of Arteta's incompetent tactics. Xavi was like ......

Fair point and one I can't disagree with

But sometimes players don't suit the system their manager is employing and therefore it's best to part ways. It does happen and not just to Arteta.

Forlan and Ferguson. Guardiola and Ibra. Guardiola and Aguero although in the end Aguero was so good he proved Guardiola wrong.

I'm not saying Arteta is blameless there, I do think he needs to sharpen up massively on his management of players; Auba, Guendo, Saliba, Bellerin. But I do stand by that I would rather not take a punt on someone we're not 100% on for 6 months if the alternative is a fully integrated striker in 2022/23.

(But I would rather have had Auba these last 4 months)

OK so if the system didn't suit the player, thats fine and a perfectly acceptable scenario to be in. How should we have moved forward ? You either stay pragmatic and understand the player doesn't fit where you want the team to be, but you have no better replacement, so you stick to whats best for the players you have. Or you get rid of that player and replace him with a player better suited to your system.

Arteta chose an option worse than the 2 above, thats the problem.

Yes I agree with this completely, you’re spot on, adapt your system or sign a replacement don’t do nothing
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby UFGN » Fri May 20, 2022 2:43 pm

StockGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
StockGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Totally agreed. If they can't do their job they should be sacked, I just think Arteta is doing his job better than Edu is doing his.

I think we have been in a fight for Top4 and whilst I'm gutted/angry/disappointed that we didn't I do think I have seen shoots of prgoress. He needs to sharpen up his player management though.

I think by and large the signings we made during last summer have been successful barring Tavares (Small fee gamble?) and Lokonga (Not a patch on Guendo IMO so far). EDIT - And Arteta by all accounts had a say in these

But Edu isn't getting the relevant fees in for players, although he also isn't helped by Arteta's management sometimes.

Just to be clear, I'm no way the level of fan of others, but I don't disagree with eveyrhting we have done that cost us 4th

I just think that the decision not to buy was absolutely key and a sacking offence for both of them. It caused raised eyebrows at the time, precisely because it was such an all or nothing gamble.

Reminds me of Wenger in January 2009. The squad was bare. We needed reinforcements to push on and win the league. Eduardo got injured weeks after the window closed. The rest...... well we all know how that turned out
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby EliteKiller » Fri May 20, 2022 2:45 pm

You are so wrong about fifth being a good season - we took 3 points of Spurs when the wheels had come off and the manager was about to be binned, overall we took just 0.4 points per game from the big six fixtures. By far the worse performance in the top five. If this year was harder than last year then how did Spurs manage it changing managers half way through?

It was far easier than last year because the bottom six were all utter crap, even we managed 31-36 points against them.

Your delusion that '5th is a good season' is not supported by almost all the statistics - and we played 10 games less than our rivals.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 20, 2022 2:50 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
Yes I agree with this completely, you’re spot on, adapt your system or sign a replacement don’t do nothing

He did WORSE than nothing, we paid for Barcelona to take the player from us !!!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Fri May 20, 2022 2:53 pm

EliteKiller wrote:

You are so wrong about fifth being a good season - we took 3 points of Spurs when the wheels had come off and the manager was about to be binned, overall we took just 0.4 points per game from the big six fixtures. By far the worse performance in the top five. If this year was harder than last year then how did Spurs manage it changing managers half way through?

It was far easier than last year because the bottom six were all utter crap, even we managed 31-36 points against them.

Your delusion that '5th is a good season' is not supported by almost all the statistics - and we played 10 games less than our rivals.

We played less than that when you take into account our Ebola-esque domestic cup campaigns
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 20, 2022 2:53 pm

EliteKiller wrote:

I disagree because my assessment is based on the fact that we are rebuilding and not close to finishing that build.
I did not expect us to get 4th this year - nor did many fans. I started the season saying that 5th would be good and nothing has changed my mind.
I am disappointed that we let 4th slip because we got into such a good position, however I can understand why the run in was a little too much for a light squad and inexperienced players.
IN terms of the less games to play - it didn't really turn out to be much of a benefit because our squad was so light anyway.

You could say - and it has been said - that it is our fault for having a thin squad. Fair argument, but I am ok with building over time and getting rid of all the players that don't fit. As long as we're moving forward and I can see a path back to where we were, I am happy.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk