2022 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2022 Summer Transfer Window

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu May 19, 2022 8:50 pm

theHotHead wrote:
I agree, also think we’ve lost some of our shine as well, it’s been a long time since we’ve competed and been in the CL.

Think players now see us as a club that doesn’t win, so they’ll only come for the money, but if they’re in demand and any decent club wants them they won’t choose us.
2 different type of players though, Sterling is a wide forward, Jesus will lead the line.

Sterling is a better fit precisely because he is a WF. This is the only type of player that can score regularly in an Arteta side. Also, Sterling is the ONE player Arteta personally helped develop at City. If anything, Sterling can get through to Arteta in ways Xhaka and Odegaard probably can't.

Jesus would be good if he had Andy Carroll's height or Benteke's ability to outmuscle defenders in the air. He has neither. He will be a luxury Nketiah in our setup.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Thu May 19, 2022 10:34 pm

theHotHead wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:https://twitter.com/gabimartinelli/status/1527262985131118592?t=aNfqfP5MQoF8eSnW4Dnomg&s=19

We're getting a #9 and a #14!!!

Wonder if he'll be pissed off, thought I read he wanted the #14.

Brian Marwood was our best 11 8-)

He was quality, better than Andy Limpar though?!!!!

I think Overmars is really the best. Just wanted to give Marwood a shout out seeing as he's all but forgotten

He and Martin Hayes...... (In your best movie trailer voice.... "Before Henry..... Before Aubamayang..... there was another number 14") :cloud9:
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Zenith » Thu May 19, 2022 11:13 pm

Ian Wright and Paul Merson wore number 11 for 3 seasons, and RvP was Arsenal's number 11 for 6 seasons.

Martin Ødegaard (20/21), Lucas Torreira (18/19 - 19/20), Mesut Özil (13/14 - 17/18), André Santos (11/12 - 12/13), Carlos Vela (10/11), Robin van Persie (04/05 - 09/10), Sylvain Wiltord (00/01 - 03/04), Marc Overmars (97/98 - 99/00), Glenn Helder (95/96 - 96/97), Ray Parlour (94/95), Kevin Campbell (94/95), Eddie McGoldrick (93/94 - 94/95), Ian Selley (92/93 - 94/95), Ray Parlour (92/93), Jimmy Carter (91/92), David O'Leary (91/92), Ian Wright (91/92 - 93/94), Kevin Campbell (91/92), Anders Limpar (90/91 - 91/92), Perry Groves (89/90), Martin Hayes (89/90), Paul Merson (88/89 - 91/92), Brian Marwood (87/88 - 88/89), Kevin Richardson (87/88), Perry Groves (87/88), Martin Hayes (86/87 - 87/88), Graham Rix (85/86), Charlie Nicholas (84/85), Ian Allinson (84/85), Colin Hill (82/83), Brian McDermott (80/81), Paul Davis (80/81), John Hollins (79/80), John Devine (78/79), Jim Harvey (78/79), Alan Hudson (77/78), Graham Rix (77/78 - 83/84), Wilf Rostron (76/77), George Armstrong (76/77), Eddie Kelly (75/76), Alex Cropley (74/75), Brian Kidd (74/75), Liam Brady (73/74 - 76/77), Charlie George (73/74), George Armstrong (72/73), John Roberts (71/72), Eddie Kelly (71/72 - 73/74), Jon Sammels (70/71), George Graham (69/70 - 72/73), Ray Kennedy (69/70), Charlie George (69/70 - 70/71), John Radford (69/70), Bob Gould (68/69), David Jenkins (68/69), Tom Walley (65/66), George Eastham (65/66), Alan Skirton (65/66), Terry Anderson (63/64 - 64/65), George Armstrong (62/63 - 69/70), Alan Skirton (62/63), Mike Tiddy (57/58), Joe Haverty (57/58)

https://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-arsena ... /verein/11
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby UFGN » Thu May 19, 2022 11:55 pm

I forgot that RvP wore 11

Wright's classic number was of course 8

André Santos :doh:
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 20, 2022 9:20 am

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
I agree, also think we’ve lost some of our shine as well, it’s been a long time since we’ve competed and been in the CL.

Think players now see us as a club that doesn’t win, so they’ll only come for the money, but if they’re in demand and any decent club wants them they won’t choose us.
2 different type of players though, Sterling is a wide forward, Jesus will lead the line.

Sterling is a better fit precisely because he is a WF. This is the only type of player that can score regularly in an Arteta side. Also, Sterling is the ONE player Arteta personally helped develop at City. If anything, Sterling can get through to Arteta in ways Xhaka and Odegaard probably can't.

Jesus would be good if he had Andy Carroll's height or Benteke's ability to outmuscle defenders in the air. He has neither. He will be a luxury Nketiah in our setup.

I see what you are saying, I agree. If we need a CF we need a traditional CF type, big and strong, not another small technical player :BangHead:
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby StockGooner » Fri May 20, 2022 1:16 pm

Think there is the consensus that Arteta risked it not having a competent CF lined up once Auba left. And I would say there was a consensus on here that Auba wasn't performing for us, so we were happy he left but on the proviso we had a replacement. When we didn't Arteta and Edu left themselves open to a huge risk.

Now I am all for that risk if we get a top quality CF in this summer window. I would rather have that than a panic buy in January that doesn't sit with our requirements. Yes we could have got CL football maybe, but longer term I would choose the better striker however we've now potentially lost that chance without CL football this year.

Is a Darwin Nunez goign to come to us now?
Would Jesus come to us still?
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby UFGN » Fri May 20, 2022 1:29 pm

StockGooner wrote:Think there is the consensus that Arteta risked it not having a competent CF lined up once Auba left. And I would say there was a consensus on here that Auba wasn't performing for us, so we were happy he left but on the proviso we had a replacement. When we didn't Arteta and Edu left themselves open to a huge risk.

Now I am all for that risk if we get a top quality CF in this summer window. I would rather have that than a panic buy in January that doesn't sit with our requirements. Yes we could have got CL football maybe, but longer term I would choose the better striker however we've now potentially lost that chance without CL football this year.

It was entirely his risk and he's completely f***ked up. Stripped the squad bare, and didn't make replacements. That led directly to our failure to get CL football, and to a lesser extent, our early exit from the FA cup.

UFGN

Postby StockGooner » Fri May 20, 2022 1:38 pm

UFGN wrote:
StockGooner wrote:Think there is the consensus that Arteta risked it not having a competent CF lined up once Auba left. And I would say there was a consensus on here that Auba wasn't performing for us, so we were happy he left but on the proviso we had a replacement. When we didn't Arteta and Edu left themselves open to a huge risk.

It was entirely his risk and he's completely f***ked up. Stripped the squad bare, and didn't make replacements. That led directly to our failure to get CL football, and to a lesser extent, our early exit from the FA cup.

FA Cup was poor. I never expect us to win any cup as you might come up against a decent opposition. Or you might play a lower opposition and they have the game of their lives. Neither of which happened, so with you there

He and Edu did f*** up, but I am glad they didn't panic buy someone we'd be stuck with for 4 seasons and end up letting go for free. If they;d taken a punt on an up and ocming player who might have resale value I would be ok. We don't know how hard they pressed, but I do believe they could have done more
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 20, 2022 1:41 pm

A better solution would've been, to get that world class striker playing well again by choosing a system and personnel to achieve that goal, rather then paying to give him to Barcelona.

Nobody sane in mind honestly believed Auba went from hero to zero just like that ! It was ALWAYS because of Arteta's incompetent tactics. Xavi was like ......

theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 20, 2022 1:42 pm

UFGN wrote:

No , it didn't.
There is no way of knowing that.
Our team goal output increased significantly and it is pure conjecture to say it would have increased even more if we had brought in a new striker in January.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Fri May 20, 2022 1:43 pm

theHotHead wrote:

A better solution would've been, to get that world class striker playing well again by choosing a system and personnel to achieve that goal, rather then paying to give him to Barcelona.

Nobody sane in mind honestly believed Auba went from hero to zero just like that ! It was ALWAYS because of Arteta's incompetent tactics. Xavi was like ......

He went to zero last year after signing a new contract.
This year was just a continuation.

Prior to that he scored goals under Arteta.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 20, 2022 1:43 pm

StockGooner wrote:FA Cup was poor. I never expect us to win any cup as you might come up against a decent opposition. Or you might play a lower opposition and they have the game of their lives. Neither of which happened, so with you there

He and Edu did f*** up, but I am glad they didn't panic buy someone we'd be stuck with for 4 seasons and end up letting go for free. If they;d taken a punt on an up and ocming player who might have resale value I would be ok. We don't know how hard they pressed, but I do believe they could have done more

You are glad we didn't panic buy, what about all of the planned purchases that have been wank ?!!!

£70m on Pepe ..........
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Fri May 20, 2022 1:46 pm

StockGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

FA Cup was poor. I never expect us to win any cup as you might come up against a decent opposition. Or you might play a lower opposition and they have the game of their lives. Neither of which happened, so with you there

It's their job to not do nothing, and also not panic buy. They are paid millions of pounds to get these decisions right.

UFGN

Postby StockGooner » Fri May 20, 2022 1:46 pm

theHotHead wrote:A better solution would've been, to get that world class striker playing well again by choosing a system and personnel to achieve that goal, rather then paying to give him to Barcelona.

Fair point and one I can't disagree with

But sometimes players don't suit the system their manager is employing and therefore it's best to part ways. It does happen and not just to Arteta.

Forlan and Ferguson. Guardiola and Ibra. Guardiola and Aguero although in the end Aguero was so good he proved Guardiola wrong.

I'm not saying Arteta is blameless there, I do think he needs to sharpen up massively on his management of players; Auba, Guendo, Saliba, Bellerin. But I do stand by that I would rather not take a punt on someone we're not 100% on for 6 months if the alternative is a fully integrated striker in 2022/23.

(But I would rather have had Auba these last 4 months)
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StockGooner » Fri May 20, 2022 1:50 pm

theHotHead wrote:
StockGooner wrote:FA Cup was poor. I never expect us to win any cup as you might come up against a decent opposition. Or you might play a lower opposition and they have the game of their lives. Neither of which happened, so with you there

You are glad we didn't panic buy, what about all of the planned purchases that have been wank ?!!!

£70m on Pepe ..........

Sorry HH, not trying to rile up here but don't understand the point you're making here? I am not making any point in particular support of Arteta here...

But.... I am absolutely 100% glad we didn't panic buy. And I am 100% annoyed about the lack of impact that Pepe who was a 'considered' purchase has had. If we had signed a striker in Jan who turned out liek pepe, we would all be fuming.
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk