2022 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2022 Summer Transfer Window

Postby theHotHead » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:40 am

Santi wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:It's an amazing situation that we find ourselves in.
Artetaball really doesn't lend itself to a 25 goal per season striker. His tactics rely more on wingers and CAM for goals. Maybe we would be better just getting in a strong link up player and not expect loads of gaols from them.
Ivan Toney is still on my wish list. The way he plays looks to suit Arteta perfectly to me. Would like to see that lanky Italian bloke (Scamacca) to come in with him though, just to mix the options up.

Well that tactic works just fine for Liverpool and Man City so I don't think it's really a criticism of 'artetaball' and more that people need to get used to the way the game is changing.

Obviously before someone tries to be smart, I'm not saying our football is anywhere near the level of those two.

No, but what you are suggesting is that there is one way to be successful on the pitch, which we all know isn't true.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Hypergooner » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:47 am

EliteKiller wrote:We need five or six quality players - IF - we are in the CL that gets a whole lot easier to achieve, if not then we either pay massive transfer fees and salaries or we buy 'prospects' and hope our scouting knows it's job.

The difference between CL and not CL is massive .... think we just screwed that up, a couple of injuries now and we're in big trouble.

Agreed. Going into the summer, we will be a minimum of 6 quality players off having a CL squad. It would cost £ms from where we are.
After this Jan, I can't see us getting it anyway.

I've never seen our squad look so bare bones. I haven't seen an Arsenal team without European football in 25 years either though.
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Zenith » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:31 am

The Athletic: Contract renewals for Martinelli, Saka, and Saliba on 2022 agenda. Isak and DCL Arsenal’s two top striking targets.

[Paywall] https://theathletic.com/3107305/2022/02 ... =twitteruk
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Rockape » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:44 am

Nuggets wrote:The first thing we need is a new manager, the only players who will want to come to us will be the ones that put money before trophies .

Nuggets, I used to enjoy your posts, but you've let yourself get stuck in a rut with your views on Arteta.....its now getting tedious and spoiling your enjoyment of supporting our team. Let it go man....we understand, but nothing is going to change in the near future.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Rockape » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:50 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:January is done with for 2022.
What are going to need in the summer?
How much will we spend?

Need
1x £70m striker
1x £40m striker
1x £60m CM (box to box)
1x £35m CDM
1x £15m RB
Total = £240m

I reckon

1 x £30m striker
1 x £30m DM
1 x £10m back up RB

Saliba & Balogun in the first team squad.

Total = £70m

That's it.

So we'd only have one average striker and Balogun upfront all season?

Why average?
How much did Salah cost? £34m?
I am skeptical of strikers with a lot of hype around them. Lukaku was £95m and has scored 5 PL goals this season.
The best scouts and directors of football FIND the next £100m striker, they don't pay that.

Dortmund bought Haaland for £18m 2 years ago and he scored 40 in hist first 46 matches (first season and a half)
He's carried on this year and now has 56 league goals in his first 60 games.

Patrick Schick was bought last season by Leverkusen for £24m
He's scored 27 in his first 46 games.

We were linked with Osimhen - only 2 years ago Lille bought him for £23m

I could go on.

As for Balogun, he needs to develop of course, but he can.
As a front line, with Balogun coming back + 1 we would have many many options.

So on the basis that established goal scorers are like gold dust and you have teams with money to burn loooking for them......we're going to find a player that will score goals regularly at the highest level for £30M? Delusional! :dontknow:

Sure, its possible to pick up players on the cheap that suddenly start playing out of their skin, but that is a gamble and we can't afford to gamble.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:27 am

Rockape wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
How much will we spend?

Need
1x £70m striker
1x £40m striker
1x £60m CM (box to box)
1x £35m CDM
1x £15m RB
Total = £240m

I reckon

1 x £30m striker
1 x £30m DM
1 x £10m back up RB

Total = £70m

That's it.

Why average?
I am skeptical of strikers with a lot of hype around them. Lukaku was £95m and has scored 5 PL goals this season.
The best scouts and directors of football FIND the next £100m striker, they don't pay that.

Dortmund bought Haaland for £18m 2 years ago and he scored 40 in hist first 46 matches (first season and a half)

I could go on.

So on the basis that established goal scorers are like gold dust and you have teams with money to burn loooking for them......we're going to find a player that will score goals regularly at the highest level for £30M? Delusional! :dontknow:

Sure, its possible to pick up players on the cheap that suddenly start playing out of their skin, but that is a gamble and we can't afford to gamble.

I have just named you some players that did not cost a fortune and were not considered to be the elite at the time - and I could name a lot more.
How were they found?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:29 pm

EliteKiller wrote:We need five or six quality players - IF - we are in the CL that gets a whole lot easier to achieve, if not then we either pay massive transfer fees and salaries or we buy 'prospects' and hope our scouting knows it's job.

The difference between CL and not CL is massive .... sadly I think we just screwed that up, a couple of injuries now and we're in big trouble.

We haven't brought in a top quality player since 2018, back when expectations were still Top 4.

If we're not in CL next year, we will continue Arteta's approach of buying obedient kids for inflated prices and hoping they work out.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:34 pm

Reiss wrote:£180m warchest rumours lol

We've done a full circle back to the Wenger years!

Absolute chequebook manager.

Newcastle could make Top 6 if they spent the £225m Arteta already has. And here we are, sinking another fortune to support Mr. Non-negotiables.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:46 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Rockape wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
How much will we spend?

Need
1x £70m striker
1x £40m striker
1x £60m CM (box to box)
1x £35m CDM
1x £15m RB
Total = £240m

I reckon

1 x £30m striker
1 x £30m DM
1 x £10m back up RB

Total = £70m

That's it.

Why average?

I could go on.

I have just named you some players that did not cost a fortune and were not considered to be the elite at the time - and I could name a lot more.
How were they found?

Jay, posting 2 examples doesn't make your point a realistic goal, an example for any argument can be found, its called the exception not the norm.

I do agree with the premise of your post though, I don't like the idea of us spending big and getting the most expensive players, the way Liverpool are doing it is the way we should be doing it, but that way requires a manager skilled in the art of making something good - very good or exceptional. Arteta as we have seen thus far is purely a chequebook manager, a Klopp he most certainly aint.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:05 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Rockape wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
How much will we spend?

Need
1x £70m striker
1x £40m striker
1x £60m CM (box to box)
1x £35m CDM
1x £15m RB
Total = £240m

I reckon

1 x £30m striker
1 x £30m DM
1 x £10m back up RB

Total = £70m

That's it.

Why average?

I could go on.

How were they found?

Jay, posting 2 examples doesn't make your point a realistic goal, an example for any argument can be found, its called the exception not the norm.

I do agree with the premise of your post though, I don't like the idea of us spending big and getting the most expensive players, the way Liverpool are doing it is the way we should be doing it, but that way requires a manager skilled in the art of making something good - very good or exceptional. Arteta as we have seen thus far is purely a chequebook manager, a Klopp he most certainly aint.

This chequebook manager slight is just another weird attack from 'Arteta bad' fools.

A chequebook manager buys success and has no downside if the players don't work out. They just keep buying.
Spending £150m of 6 YOUNG Players that form the basis of the teams future whilst making other youngsters starters in the first team is not what a chequebook manager is.
You chaps keep looking for the flimsiest of criticisms to latch on to and it isn't working.

Arteta - right now - is probably the leading manager in the PL in terms of developing young players into team.
He's doing it whilst maintaining a push for top 4 and wiping millions off our wage bill.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:14 pm

I think most people would define a chequebook manager as a manager that buys success and/or a manager that doesn't tend to develop players.

If Arteta was not a CB manager he would've developed Saliba and Guendouzi rather than shipping them out for another manager to do it. At the time of Arteta taking over both players ere established first team players (Guendo at Arsenal, Saliba in France). Its not like either were kids fresh out of the academy, like ESR, who for his development was sent on loan to Huddersfield.

So far all Arteta has done is brought players in and spent a lot of money in the process. If that doesn't fit the description of a chequebook manager I don't know what does.

AND - this season alone he has spent £150m on players, lets not forget the £77m he spent last season.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:18 pm

theHotHead wrote:I think most people would define a chequebook manager as a manager that buys success and/or a manager that doesn't tend to develop players.

If Arteta was not a CB manager he would've developed Saliba and Guendouzi rather than shipping them out for another manager to do it. At the time of Arteta taking over both players ere established first team players (Guendo at Arsenal, Saliba in France). Its not like either were kids fresh out of the academy, like ESR, who for his development was sent on loan to Huddersfield.

So far all Arteta has done is brought players in and spent a lot of money in the process. If that doesn't fit the description of a chequebook manager I don't know what does.

He has developed Saliba by making great decisions on the player.
Guendouzi is a bad influence and needed getting shot of.
Not every player is going to make it.

No other manager in the league - maybe in the top 5 leagues in Europe - is developing a team as young as ours.
That's just a fact - you just choose to pretend that all our young players would develop anyway, whilst blaming Arteta on the occasions they don't play well.

Once again - buying 6 young players as a bedrock of the team for the next 5 years is not what a cheque book manager does. A CB manager buys instant success - or at least tries to - and will simply spend again if a player does not work out.
Arsenal remain a club that operates largely within the bounds of their income. You can't be a CB manager at Arsenal... and certainly a strategy of massively reducing the wage bill by 40% is also not something a CB manager would - or could - do.

The silly attacks on the manager are simply the result of an entrenched 'Arteta bad' mindset that you (and others) can't let go of.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:07 pm

Reiss wrote:
Highbury Hillbilly wrote:

Newcastle could make Top 6 if they spent the £225m Arteta already has. And here we are, sinking another fortune to support Mr. Non-negotiables.

Let's be honest most if not all managers need money to rebuild and shape the squad into their own.

Pep needs it, Jose needs it and even Klopp needed it although the latter does it via self generated funds.

We were an absolute sh*t show when Mikel walked into this club. You can't expect him to work wonders with the likes of Mustafi and Sokratis.

We've cleared a decade worth of clogged crap and chronic inefficiencies over the past 24 months. We've got a good foundation built now and when we improve the attack in the summer he won't have any excuses left.

How about a moratorium on the Pep and Klopp comparisons? Arteta isn't anywhere near those guys.

Currently we're behind West Ham in the table, have no CB/RB depth, and are dependent on 2 forwards that can't score and want to leave the club.

If 2019 was a shit show, where are we now?
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:43 pm

Reiss wrote:

Let's be honest most if not all managers need money to rebuild and shape the squad into their own.

Pep needs it, Jose needs it and even Klopp needed it although the latter does it via self generated funds.

We were an absolute sh*t show when Mikel walked into this club. You can't expect him to work wonders with the likes of Mustafi and Sokratis.

We've cleared a decade worth of clogged crap and chronic inefficiencies over the past 24 months. We've got a good foundation built now and when we improve the attack in the summer he won't have any excuses left.

How about a moratorium on the Pep and Klopp comparisons? Arteta isn't anywhere near those guys.

Currently we're behind West Ham in the table, have no CB/RB depth, and are dependent on 2 forwards that can't score and want to leave the club.

If 2019 was a shit show, where are we now?

2pts off 4th with a game in hand.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:19 pm

Reiss wrote:

No we weren't, we were not the 6th best team in the league we were better than that, Wenger was a stubborn dufus who paid no attention to defending. We finished 5th with Emery who it turns out was even worse defensivley. Just think how much closer to 4th we would've got with even a slight defensive improvement. You talk about us being a shit show, explain how we got to the Europa League final the season before ? Explain how the only teams that scored more goals than us were Man City and Liverpool who finished first and second respectively, if we were such a shit show.

You cannot put Klopp in the same bracket as Pep and Mourinho, the latter have been chequebook managers, at least Mourinho did something special with Porto when he didn't have money to spend, Pep has never proved that he can do the same. Klopp has spent money earned by selling his best players, he is not a chequebook manager in the slightest ! Klopp is what Wenger was at first and should have maintained being instead of going off trying to prove the world that his way was the right way when we could all see that his way was doomed to fail.

So this narrative that the squad was washed up and shot and blah blah blah is nonsense.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk