2022 Summer Transfer Window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2022 Summer Transfer Window

Postby theHotHead » Wed May 25, 2022 11:50 am

underwhelming ... I mean .. is this why we left Highbury ?!! Really ?!!!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Rockape » Wed May 25, 2022 1:45 pm

theHotHead wrote:underwhelming ... I mean .. is this why we left Highbury ?!! Really ?!!!!

Not sure that has anything to do with it.....the game has moved on big time. The money used to be about fan base, ground size/gate receipts and then worldwide marketing. Nowadays you just need to get a generous Billionaire to buy your club, strip out the soul of it and install mercenary players, paid eye watering sums to take you past the traditional big clubs.

Unfortunately, we either carry on as we are fighting for the scraps, or we get bought out by someone who is able to splash serious cash.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Wed May 25, 2022 3:26 pm

Rockape wrote:
theHotHead wrote:underwhelming ... I mean .. is this why we left Highbury ?!! Really ?!!!!

Not sure that has anything to do with it.....the game has moved on big time. The money used to be about fan base, ground size/gate receipts and then worldwide marketing. Nowadays you just need to get a generous Billionaire to buy your club, strip out the soul of it and install mercenary players, paid eye watering sums to take you past the traditional big clubs.

Unfortunately, we either carry on as we are fighting for the scraps, or we get bought out by someone who is able to splash serious cash.

The game moving on was the reason we moved from Highbury, to make us competitive with the rich clubs. Big money had already infiltrated the game, so just because there are more clubs with money now that doesn't invalidate the original reason for us moving.

Arsenal, the only club to have had 2 billionaire owners at the same time and still act like paupers !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Wed May 25, 2022 6:31 pm

TedLasso wrote:
Rockape wrote:
VCC wrote:For you guys that watch lower league football, who is worth a gamble

We were supposed to be looking at Djed Spence the Forest right back that played so well in the Cup against us. Not sure what happed there?

I would wager teams are waiting to see if Forest win promotion. Price tag probably doubles based on the result of that game.

Spence is a Middlesbrough player
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Hypergooner » Wed May 25, 2022 10:00 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Rockape wrote:

The game moving on was the reason we moved from Highbury, to make us competitive with the rich clubs. Big money had already infiltrated the game, so just because there are more clubs with money now that doesn't invalidate the original reason for us moving.

Arsenal, the only club to have had 2 billionaire owners at the same time and still act like paupers !

Funny how Spurs built a stadium better than ours, yet still somehow have £400m to spend. Ours set us back for years financially and to top it off, it has no atmosphere
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu May 26, 2022 4:41 pm

Hypergooner wrote:Funny how Spurs built a stadium better than ours, yet still somehow have £400m to spend. Ours set us back for years financially and to top it off, it has no atmosphere

To be fair, Spurs did the new stadium at a time when interest rates were rock bottom. We started our project well before the 2008 crisis that led to falling rates.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu May 26, 2022 7:27 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:Funny how Spurs built a stadium better than ours, yet still somehow have £400m to spend. Ours set us back for years financially and to top it off, it has no atmosphere

To be fair, Spurs did the new stadium at a time when interest rates were rock bottom. We started our project well before the 2008 crisis that led to falling rates.

Also Spurs have a contract with American Football don't they who'll pay towards the stadium as they will host games there also?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu May 26, 2022 7:30 pm

Zenith wrote:

Gabriel is not a CF, he can't play that lone role, he won't be goal hanging, headers and tap in's.

Unless we switch to 4-3-3 or unless Arteta is going to make Nketiah our starting CF, I'm not seeing where this new CF for his current 4-2-3-1 formation is coming from?

If we play Gabriel there we're going to get a Auba situation when he is not a target CF.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Thu May 26, 2022 8:18 pm

28 games and 8 goals in the PL last season for Jesus and 4 came in one game. This is playing for one of the most creative teams around. That’s awful.

His record in the PL isn’t great

16-17 - 10 games 7 goals
17-18 - 29 games 13 goals
18-19 - 29 games 7 goals
19-20 - 34 games 14 goals
20-21 - 29 games 9 goals
21-22 - 28 games 8 goals

I’ve never really thought he was particularly good, it those figures are worse than I thought, I mean last season they were scoring a hatful and all he managed is 4 goals in 24 games (with the other 4 coming in that one game which really inflates his goal tally).

I wouldn’t be paying more than 20- 25 million for him based on those figures and his contract.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu May 26, 2022 9:17 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Zenith wrote:

Gabriel is not a CF, he can't play that lone role, he won't be goal hanging, headers and tap in's.

Unless we switch to 4-3-3 or unless Arteta is going to make Nketiah our starting CF, I'm not seeing where this new CF for his current 4-2-3-1 formation is coming from?

If we play Gabriel there we're going to get a Auba situation when he is not a target CF.
Completely agree. I reckon jesus goes LWF (neither martinelli or ESR have made it their own) and we get a CF too. That would sort out our lack of goals. Jesus could be our back up CF.

The problem with that is both our first and second choice strikers are part of the first XI. It means you can't rotate in cup games. That is where Nketiah is needed.

I reckon domestic cup and early europa league games Nketiah will be first choice.

Our cup team then has Nketiah, Martinelli and ESR all starting.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Thu May 26, 2022 9:25 pm

Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Ach » Thu May 26, 2022 9:27 pm

Lol

Let wolves have him
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 27, 2022 7:24 am

Lets get a proper target man CF FFS at least that gives us a Plan B as well.

Jesus is just more of the damn same as what we have/have had.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Fri May 27, 2022 9:24 am

Good player, makes things happen.

Whether City will let him go is another question, but he’s very good. Price might be an issue though.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby alexafc12 » Fri May 27, 2022 9:27 am

theHotHead wrote:Lets get a proper target man CF FFS at least that gives us a Plan B as well.

Jesus is just more of the damn same as what we have/have had.

What's a plan B ?
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk