Ian Wright, Wright, Wright

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Ian Wright, Wright, Wright

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:33 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A53378599

Been having a strange conversation on another forum. Is this guy for real or is he what the kids call a 'wum'? Does anyone on here share his dislike for Wrighty? Or am I right in thinking the majority see him as a legend?

For me him and Adams are my two favourite Arsenal players ever!!!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Re: Ian Wright, Wright, Wright

Postby Gooner Girl » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:44 pm

Yeah Wrightys a legend. We need a player like him now who can just bang the goals in.

You could tell he cared about the club to - he played with passion even if he can be a bit of an idiot sometimes...
Gooner Girl
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Briggsy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:52 pm

Plymouth you and me share the same heroes Wrighty and Tone are Arsenal to the core! The people who slag of Wrighty are usually hypocrites. When i used to post on the online gooner forum. They would be several people who would slag wrighty off for something he said anti Arsenal on TalkSport not realising they posted something similar a week ago. Wrighty loves the club and wants us to compete
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Inchpräctice » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:41 am

Wrighty is still a gooner at heart but he does say things on the radio which make it clear to me that he doesn't really understand Wenger the way that some other ex-players do.

If I wanted the opinion of an ex-gunner on something I'd much rather hear it from Paul Merson, Lee Dixon or Martin Keown.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby gzagee » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:58 am

I got to agree with that other fella's point that Wrighty wasn't really what you'd call a team player, in that he didn't always follow instruction.
He didn't always have a great relationship with GG, Houston thought he was jumped up (same could be said of Houston, actually), he hated Rioch and Wenger didn't want to could accommodate him. Was it cos of his attitude?
Still, I'd sooner have him in my team than Andy Cole, who couldn't even make it ahead of Campbell in the pecking order at Arsenal.
Wrighty isn't always loyal to Arsenal neither. Is that cos of Wenger? I dunno?
Yes he was selfish, nihilistic, prima-donna-esque but, his predatory nose for goal and the ability to do the unpredictable was something that set him apart for me. He's just what we need up front, actually.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby waisman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:53 am

He was a legend, and I chanted his name in the first Arsenal game I ever went to, but every time I read something he's written about Arsenal these days he sounds like a hater. His comments are usually bitter and not really constructive in any way. I do miss him on MOTD though which has become unbelievably dull these days.
waisman
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby whee » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:19 pm

Never really forgiven Wenger for easing him out has he.

Was it the '98 Cup Final that Wenger left him out for and Wrighty (understandably) was pissed off about it?

Despite the twattishness that popped out occasionally, he was one hell of a character, and had the personality that we have been sorely missing for a number of years.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Rockin' Robin » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:34 pm

His lob against Swindon is still one of my favourite goals, obviously I didn't see it at the time, but I saw it a couple of years ago on youtube and was stunned, the way he lobs the 'keeper when he's not even off his line, the ball just accelerates in the air :lol:
Rockin' Robin
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby foxy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:12 pm

you will go and post on third rate sites and there you will find the ever unpopular wum's!!!

Wrighty was a LEGEND!!! When i was a kid kicking a tennis ball around in the playground i was always Ian Wright :)
Aaron Ramsey's magic, he wears an Arsenal hat. Sir Alex said come play for me but Aaron said f**k that. Ramsey is a Gooners fan, he wears his shirt with pride, he plays for Arsenal FC, red and white army by his side!
foxy
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Gunflash » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:26 pm

Wright is an Arsenal legend and he absolutely loved playing and scoring for the club, which is why it is very distressing to see him become such a w***er of a pundit, rambling away inanely on Talksport or in his alleged column in The Sun.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Waterfordgooner » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:58 pm

Wright was a legend

His ability to score when we were struggling to score
His enthusiasm
His ability to piss off man utd every time he played

Legend
Waterfordgooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:45 am

wrighty was one of those players who you could tell just loved the club, loved to play football and loved to score.
Bristol_Gunner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby gzagee » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:03 am

Wasn't that period around the time of Dein's first coming (Bond Scheme) and Sky Sports?
Some of the title-winning squads left due to GG's notoriety for being stingy with the pay packet.
Marwood couldn't continue the commute, Rocky went to Leeds, Mickey T went to Scouse, Kevin Richardson, Niall Quinn, John Lukic.
I GG tried to get some new players without having to pay big wages (of that time)..?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby castano » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:23 am

Wright is a legend,but i'm a legend at saying f@*k u to legends who don't respect their status.even people say f*@k off to Michael Jackson,so why shldn't i say more to wright?
castano
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby SE13 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:09 pm

gzagee wrote:Wasn't that period around the time of Dein's first coming (Bond Scheme) and Sky Sports?
Some of the title-winning squads left due to GG's notoriety for being stingy with the pay packet.
Marwood couldn't continue the commute, Rocky went to Leeds, Mickey T went to Scouse, Kevin Richardson, Niall Quinn, John Lukic.
I GG tried to get some new players without having to pay big wages (of that time)..?

Yeah, the original bond scheme was around about that time. Wrighty signed close to the start of the 91 season, I think the scheme was launched at the arse end of the season previous.

I was under the impression that he earned quite a big wedge though, although I know GG was as tight as a chair leg up a dog's ring......

It was at the end of that season that Rocky was sold....... I'll say no more on that!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk